How does chrome hold up?

Ned-L

Enlightened
I am thinking about purchasing a chrome JIL. If I do, I would like to use it as a keychain light and was wondering how chrome holds up to scratches compared to hard anodizing?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ned! My chrome Aleph pieces have held up great. Not a scratch or peel yet. But Don has a certain process which might affect that. We'll have to see how my new Chrome Jil holds up as new EDC.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
What CroMAGnet said ;)

All my McGizmo chrome creations are amazingly tough, however I am sure it is because of the creator and the plater he uses.

If the Jil is done right it will be a nice little piece.:)

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
Chrome when done properly can hold up very well, same as Hard ano. Traditionally chrome holds up better on steel than anything else. Now you could get Highpolished Hard ano III aswell. Thats what is used on the stancion tubes of the suspension fork on my Mountain bike. When it comes to Aluminum Hardano tends to hold up better than chrome as the Anodizing is part of the aluminum, it can't flake off. Now I have seen nickel plating work very well on aluminum though.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have a Chrome McLux.III.PD and it sure is something to behold. Very durable, but as someone here mentioned in the past, chrome is a fingerprint/smudge magnet.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mitsubishi made a car with an engine made entirely out of chrome.

They artificially aged the car, and by the time the car became a pile of rust (quite literally) the engine was still shiny as new.

Wow.

--neg