These forums "officially" irritate me

JMJ

Newly Enlightened
Why?

1. There is FAR too much information here for me to read up on and learn in any REASONABLE amount of time, and:

2. This place is going to end up costing me WAY too much money
grinser2.gif

Okay, so I figured my title would at least draw a few people in to read, and it sounded better than "flashlight noob is looking for some new lights." Oh yeah, the title is also me venting some frustrations now, because when the warden finds out I'm going to dump some significant cash on flashlights I'm going to get an earful. "First it was computers, then guns, then knives. Now flashlights? Didn't you just spend $320 on a pocket knife?!?!?!" That's right, I'm not pulling a fast one on my wife
thinking.gif
She just doesn't understand that when it comes to these tools, you can't have one without the other two
smile.gif

Anyway, here's a bit about me and my flashlight prowess. I own 2 SF lights, the E2 and the Z2. I gave the E2 to my wife and my all purpose light is my Z2. I'm looking to add 2 lights to my inventory with a specific purpose for each. I'm a part-time cop and I only work Fri/Sat nights. These 2 lights I am looking for will be duty lights. Let me explain what I am looking for.

1. Car search light - Using the Z2 to search cars is definitely not cool, especially a light colored interior. The glare coming back into my eyes is a little more than I like. I have never owned an LED light, but I'm thinking this might be the right tool for this job. The throw doesn't need to be huge, and I'd like a smaller light. Something that could use AAA or AA rechargeable batteries would be great, but I don't want one that's too expensive. Some sort of water resistancy would be a plus.

2. Car approach/Area search light - Ideally, I'd like a SF M6 with batteries that cost about 1/4 of what they do now
crackup.gif
Hey, a guy can always have dreams, right??? I have no issues with spending the money for a SF M4 or M6, it's the cost of operation that really turns me off (is there a cheap place for batteries?). I love the beam on the turbo heads, that's for sure. The fact that I only work 2 nights a week (and not always both nights every week) could compensate for the cost of the batteries. This light would have to be water resistant/proof also, unfortunately the rain doesn't keep the dirtbags home. I could do a rechargeable light, a minimum of 1 hour runtime would be necessary (with some backup batteries of course). I also don't want a large light, I don't need it as a striking tool (got an ASP for that). For some reason it's okay to beat someone with an ASP, but using your light is not very politically correct
grinser2.gif
In all seriousness, this is the more important light of the two, I need every advantage I can get when it comes to approaching a vehicle at night.

Currently I've been looking at the following website for beam comparisons:

http://www.knivesandtools.com/en/help/flashlights-comparison.htm?dist=20m&flashlight1=20msfm6.jpg&flashlight2=20msfm6high.jpg

Very nice way to see the beams side by side.

I just want to let you guys know that I've been reading and reading, but I still don't know squat when it comes to the lingo here, or about customizing flashlights. If you reply to this thread with a recommended light and use flashlight lingo, could you translate it to english for me? I only understand computer/gun/knife lingo at the moment
grinser2.gif
I'm on duty tonight so I may not be able to check back in until tomorrow. With the wealth of knowledge I see here, i'm sure I'll have a reply or two to read tomorrow
smile.gif
Oh yeah, I'm not against some custom light either as long as it's reliable and fits my requirements.

Thanks for any input and thanks for some great forums!!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!

Don't get too hung up on the cost of 123 cells - Battery Station sells them for a buck apiece, and there's always rechargables too..

For a car search light, it sounds to me like you want a lot of flood, right? QIII would be my choice. Area light, well, I'd go Aleph, but you'll need to work up to that I think ;)

JMJ

Newly Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Welcome to CPF!!

Don't get too hung up on the cost of 123 cells - Battery Station sells them for a buck apiece, and there's always rechargables too..

For a car search light, it sounds to me like you want a lot of flood, right? QIII would be my choice. Area light, well, I'd go Aleph, but you'll need to work up to that I think ;)

Thanks! I was thinking rechargeables, but one website where I buy mine recommended against using rechargeables in SF lights.

Flood is the spread of the light, right? Doesn't need to be extreme, picture searching around a car in the dark. Glovebox, trunk, under seats, etc. What is Aleph? I'll start googling.

Oh, if anyone posts a recommendation, if you could drop a link to the light I would very much appreciate it....thanks a lot!

Chris201W

Enlightened
I second the QIII recommendation, or maybe a Fenix L1P so you can use NiMH AAs. Also, a Surefire L1 might be good. High output to search the inside of cars, low output to check licenses, write tickets (I'm not really sure if this is bright enough for this, as I don't own one).

For the brighter light, it sounds like you want a Surefire 10X Dominator. On high it's as bright as an M6 with HOLA, but you can also switch down to the (relatively speaking) dim 60 lumen mode. When you're done with it, plop it back in the charger and you're good to go.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
You could try a fenix L1p or L2p for your car search light. A review of it is http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm and http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l2p.htm

For your car approach light, I'm thinking maybe a mag mod. Try a ROP mod.(Roar of the Pelican) The ROP is a maglite, sized from any where from 2C to 6D depending on the battery combonation. It uses a Pelican Big D bulb that will put out about as much as the SF M6! You could probably get if for $100 at most. Look in the incandecent forum for more details. It uses recharcheable batteries so you don't have to worry about battery cost.

I don't know much about the SF recharcheables, but I'm sure that there are other people there that do, they may have some suggestions. That may also be a good buy.

The best place for batteries is online. SF batteries are well regarded, and the titanium brand from amondotech are als pretty good. http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=241 they can be had for about a dollar each. Go to the flashlight electronics/batteries section and look at the stickied cr123 battery comparison.

Good luck

JMJ

Newly Enlightened
Chris201W said:
I second the QIII recommendation, or maybe a Fenix L1P so you can use NiMH AAs. Also, a Surefire L1 might be good. High output to search the inside of cars, low output to check licenses, write tickets (I'm not really sure if this is bright enough for this, as I don't own one).

For the brighter light, it sounds like you want a Surefire 10X Dominator. On high it's as bright as an M6 with HOLA, but you can also switch down to the (relatively speaking) dim 60 lumen mode. When you're done with it, plop it back in the charger and you're good to go.

What is the QIII? I also looked at the Fenix L1P, that looks very enticing for the price. I don't want to dump a lot of money on the car search light, i'd rather save it for the takedown light.

JMJ

Newly Enlightened
offroadcmpr said:
You could try a fenix L1p or L2p for your car search light. A review of it is http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm and http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l2p.htm

For your car approach light, I'm thinking maybe a mag mod. Try a ROP mod.(Roar of the Pelican) The ROP is a maglite, sized from any where from 2C to 6D depending on the battery combonation. It uses a Pelican Big D bulb that will put out about as much as the SF M6! You could probably get if for $100 at most. Look in the incandecent forum for more details. It uses recharcheable batteries so you don't have to worry about battery cost.

I don't know much about the SF recharcheables, but I'm sure that there are other people there that do, they may have some suggestions. That may also be a good buy.

The best place for batteries is online. SF batteries are well regarded, and the titanium brand from amondotech are als pretty good. http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=241 they can be had for about a dollar each. Go to the flashlight electronics/batteries section and look at the stickied cr123 battery comparison.

Good luck

I missed your post somehow...thanks for the info!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I agree with you on your first number one and two. . .

Enjoy!

litho123

Enlightened
JMJ, Welcome to CPF
wink2.gif

You're in for a wide variety of opinions as lights are very subjective!

I think the QIII is too small for your application. It's tiny/stubby. It's what I clip onto my billed cap when I want hands-free light. It's not something that I can hang onto with a firearm in one hand.

For the smaller light, I like the G2Z and C2 form.
I would recommend the BOG 3W or 5W for your Z2.

I have used the BOG 3W (BUG_OUT_GEAR) module which is a replacement for the P60 lamp. It has a longer runtime and is nice all around light. I carry it in my G2 with clickie for an everyday utility light powered with a rechargable LI-Ion 17670 cell. It is a drop-in replacement into your Z2.

I also have the BOG 5W head which I've put on my C2-BK which runs on 2 CR123-A cells. It has a bit more sidespill and is nice and white. As the C2 has a pocket clip, I carry this light quite frequently.

For your main light, the most popular incandescent hotwire lights are the Magmods.

I think it boils down to size preference...desired runtime...desired brightness.
You can have two of those three - which two are most important?
For everyone of these sizes listed below there a few bulbs that will meet your demands for brightness or runtime or somewhere inbetween.
2D - 1111, CL1057, CL1499, 1274*
3D - 1185, 1331, CL809, 1306, 1166*
2C - w/ Li-ion cells ... 1111**, CL1057, CL1499
3C - w/ Li-Ion cells ... 1185**, 1331, CL809, 1306
*requires a bored out body.
** Awaiting AW's Protected C-cells to test/verify
I haven't picked up the ROP bulbs so I cannot comment on them other than they are PR based bulbs (like Mag bulbs).

As all of the lights are configured to be rechargable, your upfront costs are more, but you save in the long run...Most of these lights can be run off of Lithium 123 batteries as well.

The different reflector finishes that are available will fit different applications and will be a personal preference.

IMO the least expensive way to test out the hotwire mods is to purchase the following:
(2) plastic 3AA-D holders for around 10.00
(1) potted Carley 1057 bulb @ 9.50 plus shipping
(6) AA nimh batteries
(1) charger
You'll get a modest hotwire light with over an hour runtime with 2400mah cells. Prolonged use will start to deform the plastic ... lens & reflector that is ... which will eventually need to be replaced. But, you have an idea of what the hotwire lights are all about and whether you need something brighter.

If you don't want to pop for the cost of AA nimh cells and charger, you can run this bulb off of 3 CR123-a cells for around 20+ minutes. That's around $15.00 for a testdrive! If you want to try some of the other bulbs mentioned and use CR123-a cells, let me know and I can tell you how to configure them for a testdrive.

If you are happy with the above bulb, then by replacing the lens, reflector (a whole topic by itself) and battery holder, you'll have a light that is suitable for duty.

Otherwise, there are folks on CPF that can build a light to suit your needs.
BTW - I have a set of all the parts mentioned above if you are interested in a "test-drive".

Again, welcome!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
about the rechargeables. I have 2 123 rechargeables from batterystation and they are working great in my QIII's. When they run down though there is no warning, the light just goes out!

They dont work well in incandesent lights, or very high power lights though. I have tried them in my 5 watt version from the same company and they go immediately into protection from the high current draw. So they would probably not run in a surefire that takes 2 or more cells at all. But for an often used light like my QIII, they have saved me money now as well as saved the landfill :)

I also have a fenix and I absolutely love it. Can't recommend it enough :D

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could use a UV light for searching interiors, but you might not wanna touch anything inside cause of what you see :mecry:.

The QIII might be exactly what you are looking for for interiors, I know it is on my short list now.

Then again a light with variable brightness might be good, you could use one level for regular looking and if you feel you need a blinding light you could click the switch to a brighter mode. The SF U2 might be a good choice.

NFW

Newly Enlightened
My suggestion for your car-searching illumination:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm

Far as I can tell, this is the big brother of the Q3 mentioned earlier. (I don't own a Q3 myself). It's two-stage, so when you turn it on you get a moderate amount of light, but a second click of the tailcap gives you 3 watts (which I find uncomfortably bright at night). It's about $45, which seems fair. I've only had mine for a little while and only used it a couple times so I can't say for sure about durability but it seems to be built pretty strong.

If you have $175ish burning a hole in your pocket, I'll also second the Aleph recommendation. Similar size as the Nuwai above, but with a nicer switch (press gently for dim, firmly for bright, screw in slightly for dim, screw in more for bright, or unscrew the head 1/4 turn to lock it out for storage). They've available with three different heads depending on how tightly focused you want the beam (probably the smaller-diameter, more flood-like Aleph 2 head in your case). Also 3 body lengths and a bunch of different tailcap options. Available here:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/

I have one and just ordered a second. Can't believe I spent that much on one light, and then did it again, but... well, you know. Don't let her know, though.

I have no suggestions for your super-bright light, but I will say that I've been pondering the Nuwai 800x3 lately.... http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98410

carrot

Flashaholic
Instead of an M6 or M4, you could get an 8NX, 9AN, or 10x. All three are rechargeable, and the latter two have dual outputs.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Car search light that uses NiMH AA batteries,
There is the Fenix L1P but you may want the new Peak Pacific. Nice regulated Luxeon light that accepts single AAA, 2AAA, single AA or CR2 batteries. The light costs $50 with the optional battery bodies a few weeks later.
HDS is coming out with a 2AA battery pack for their variable output Luxeon lights. Adjust the light output as needed.
For something really different, a MillerMods L1P with 5 ohm two-stage switch. Miller changes out the regulator and puts in his custom designed regulator that punches 500mA (1.7 watts) to the R bin Luxeon. This puts out around 60 lumens at the LED (less after going through the small reflector) If the light is too bright, click the tail switch and output drops to around 1/4 of a watt to look under seats without blinding you.
Runtime on the MillerMod L1P is hour and 15 minutes or so on high, 6-8 hours on low. The cost is $78 shipped and uses the single NiMH battery you require.