Please recommend a wireless router

InFlux

Enlightened
We have a 1.5meg Verizon DSL connection (Westell WireSpeed modem).

We'd like to share the connection with one desktop (next to the DSL box) and one laptop (believe it has a "B" type card installed). Her laptops a work computer with ethernet at work, and will mostly be used for email/web browsing and occasional file sharing using the wireless at home.

I'm looking for recommendations for which router and/or wireless card to get. I'd like to get a router with today's best technology for future upgrades- I see a laptop in my future :grin2:, good security is vital, and top speed is essential for the desktop. Range is (much) less important since we have a tiny little house>

Checking out the paper I see Linksys Wireless G with Speedbooster ($69) and Linksys SRX200 MIMO ($99). Also Netgear Rangemax ($99) and RangeMax 240 ($150) for the routers. What should I expect for the $$$?

I was also wondering whether I'll need to buy a card for the desktop or whether there will be a wired ethernet output.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

StevieRay

Enlightened
I have used linksys for several years now. They have very good customer support. The new MIMO router kicks butt!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've had better luck with the Linksys than most ther brands. Dlink has been a problem every time I've used one.

Keep in mind that your wireless net will be visble to the world, so lock it down as soon as you can.

Daniel

carrot

Flashaholic
I have had problems with Netgear and Belkin in the past. Right now I'm using a Netgear 54Mbps 802.11b/g WGR614 router, and I haven't had a single problem with it. Linksys is generally considered very good (they are a division of Cisco), so I'd look into them first.

mccavazos

Enlightened
gadget_lover said:
I've had better luck with the Linksys than most ther brands. Dlink has been a problem every time I've used one.

Keep in mind that your wireless net will be visble to the world, so lock it down as soon as you can.

Daniel

I agree 100% with the Dlink coment. Check out linksys and netgear, Ive had good luck with both.

Chris

InFlux

Enlightened
Thanks for the input :wave:

What about the desktop question- will I need a card or can I connect directly?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Linksys WRT54G, which is quite an excellent router. It doesn't have all of the "Speed-Booster" or "MIMO" technology.....but I believe that most of that is just hype. I think you'd be plenty happy with just a standard G router, as the WRT54G is.

As far as wired connectivity for your desktop goes, most wireless routers have four wired LAN ports on the back of them, which I recommend you use for your desktop.

mccavazos

Enlightened
InFlux said:
Thanks for the input :wave:

What about the desktop question- will I need a card or can I connect directly?

Most woreless routers have a built in 4 port switch, so yes there is usually an ethernet out.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another vote for Linksys. I've deployed many of them in public hotspots.

For the desktop machine, definitely go with a hard-wired connection. As long as the router has a built-in switch (usually 4 Ethernet ports), you're all set. A wired connection will always run faster than a wireless connection, and has the bonus of being impervious to RF interference.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've personally had nothing but trouble with Linksys routers and some of their NICs, but maybe that's just me. Belkin and Netgear are much higher in my book.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
InFlux said:
We have a 1.5gig Verizon DSL connection (Westell WireSpeed modem).

Let me know where I can get a 1.5 gigabit DSL connection! Or rather, did you mean 1.5 meg?

Wireless is a nice convenience feature, but I'd hesitate to depend on it as a primary means of connectivity (read: make sure you have an available ethernet port for that laptop when you need to sit down and get some real work done). Also beware of wireless speed claims - your throughout rate will typically peak at about half the advertised signalling rate (expect a maximum ~27mbps throughput on a 54mbps signal).

I always recommend that people run cables for any stationary or semi-permanent computer location so they can have a reliable, stable connection. If they don't want to do this because of aesthetics or cost, I ask them if they want to be at the mercy of local RF ... in unlicensed spectrum? It's always confounded me that people will run cable for home theater without much hesitation, but won't run data cabling - which they'll typically use far more often than the home theater.

Remember that good wifi networks have been designed for good performance - often with multiple access points strategicly positioned for optimal coverage and minimal interference. You may need to experiment with the placement of your AP - and might discover that the best location isn't convenient for anything else - such as wiring in desktops.

Your mileage may vary. I only issue this warning because I used to support wireless routers and dealt with all the horror stories... customers that thought a cheap wireless router would provide infinite coverage in their house with zero compromises.

Last edited:

h_nu

Enlightened
I have two DLink routers and a Belkin and have set up several Linksys and DLink routers for others. Never had a problem with any of them except that I can't connect to the DLink with my Netgear card unless I lower the RTS and a few other settings.

Check the web sites of the routers you end up considering and look for their "emulators". They should show you the set up screens so you can see for yourself how the configuration works. I know some people who prefer the Linksys and others who can't stand it.

While you're at the web sites, make sure your model supports WPA at minimum or WPA2.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to put up a RED FLAG for Linksys! The new WRT54G (version 6) no longer uses linux, but uses systemworks for it's OS. That means no 3rd party firmware, but a more serious problem that me and another tech have run into is when you run WEP it will not assign IP addresses to clients connected to it. That is with the latest firmware too. Apparently there have been lots of issues with the version 6 of this router.

I have no idea if their speedbooster model is plauged or what OS it runs.
Having said that the previous versions have worked very well in all sorts of their products.

If the wireless router has a built in switch then you can run that right to the desktop closest to the modem is. Much cheaper to get one that has a built in switch than to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought all D-Link equipment for my home setup, and it worked fine. A year later something happened to the router and it wouldn't connect to the PC's anymore. Out of frustration I chunked the router and bought a Linksys router that I'm still using now.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Linksys is all you need to know. It's easy to install, and works like a champ. It's got great range on it, and if the range isn't enough, Linksys also sells optional high-gain antennas to replace the ones it comes with. I've been told the Netgear is pretty good, too, but that it's a lot harder to set up. You can often find them with a rebate. Sam's Club has a pretty good price on them, too.

carrot

Flashaholic
Trashman said:
I've been told the Netgear is pretty good, too, but that it's a lot harder to set up. You can often find them with a rebate. Sam's Club has a pretty good price on them, too.
My experience with Netgear is that they're a piece of cake to set up. Plug it in and you're good to go. Configuration is dead simple with the web client, just navigate your browser to the router's IP address (by default 192.168.1.1) and enter the password in the manual.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
I'm going to put up a RED FLAG for Linksys! The new WRT54G (version 6) no longer uses linux, but uses systemworks for it's OS. That means no 3rd party firmware, but a more serious problem that me and another tech have run into is when you run WEP it will not assign IP addresses to clients connected to it. That is with the latest firmware too. Apparently there have been lots of issues with the version 6 of this router.

Yikes... this does sound problematic. I wonder why they ditched Linux. Maybe they had a lot of bad experiences trying to support their hardware after someone flashed with with third-party firmware.

I've flashed a few Linksys products with Sveasoft and it's worked pretty well. I did manage to trash one but I have the secret recovery procedure to force a TFTP session to reload it, so I expect to be able to bring it back to life.

That's a shame that they're taking this level of control out of the users' hands.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
My experience with Netgear is that they're a piece of cake to set up. Plug it in and you're good to go. Configuration is dead simple with the web client, just navigate your browser to the router's IP address (by default 192.168.1.1) and enter the password in the manual.

Yeah, I actually didn't understand what the guy meant when he said Netgear was a lot harder to set up. I mean, wall to modem, to router, to computer, how much harder can it get? It was the sales person at Fry's that told me that. He recommended Linksys, above all, which I already had and liked. I, basically, went down there to pick up the $14.99 D-Link or Airlink router for my girlfriends apartment, but he steered be clear of those.

Wyeast

Enlightened
I used to like Netgear a lot, but apparently a lot of their recent SOHO (read as: stuff you buy at the store for home) routers have been having issues. Some of it appears to be overheating due to lack of ventilation. I myself had to return on of their tri-band routers because of this problem.

By the same token, I used to HATE Linksys with a passion. Had nothing but trouble with them several years ago... but now the world is upside down, and I've been running on a WRT54G for months now without a hitch. Go fig.

DLink I'm not sure. We used to have a wired router of theirs which has run like a champ for years, but I've got no experience w/ their wireless routers.

Good luck!

--> Andy