Introducing: The UMLS (pics included)

mdocod

Flashaholic
The Ultimate Multiple Light Source

If you have some bungie cords, a thor, and a pile of flashlights laying around... you too could be well on your way to achieving this level of bliss in ultimate lighting!!

This light made it's first appearance in the Poll "Ever attatch a smaller flashlight to your bigger flashlight" by Tron3

I decided I could not go without making a thread for it.

here it is!

ultralight06.jpg

ultralight02.jpg

ultralight04.jpg

ultralight12.jpg

ultralight10.jpg

ultralight15.jpg

more picts available here..
http://photobucket.com/albums/b72/mdocod/ultralight/

decided not to post them all in the thread to make the thread more 56k friendly.

the lights attatched are the following: (in no particular order)

mag3D(xenon-stock)
LEDBEAM
old colman 2xAA
taskforce 3W
energizer "waterproof" 2xAA(7-11 special, lol)
china 28LED 3xAAA axshop
china 28LED 3xAAA with compass tailcap
river rock 0.5w 2xAAA
river rock 1.5w 2xAA
Ultrafire 9V
Ultrafire 12V(with 9V lamp+2x17670 installed)
dorcy 1xAAA led
rubber bodied garrity 2xAA
rubber bodied "china" 2xD
minimag 2xAA
2xD type garrity
vector 1MCP spot

I think a much more impressive setup would include multiples of the same light in sections. setup semmetrically around the thor... but this has that more "artsy" look to it. hehe.

enjoy!!

Flakey

Enlightened
LOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLL i love it man!! if i could find a way to incorporate it into the swich i would tape a bunch of aaa leds to the bezl of my magmods

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm, multiple stage, adjustable for throw or runtime, various power sources, sounds like an EDC to me. I also have the perfect sheath for it...called a backpack. :naughty: So when's the group buy?

mdocod

Flashaholic
funny all you would mention "EDC" in a joking manner... I was just chatting with a buddy on aim, we came up with the idea that I should carry it with me everywhere I go, but act very nonshalant about it all the time.

like go down-town and do some window shopping with it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
oh yea... forgot to mention. (bragging a little about having found such a great female companion)

My fiance actually helped me find and gather up all the flashlights from around the house so that I could take these rediculaus pictures.
aint she great? love her to death.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me, or does the 2nd to last pic look like some ship orbiting a planet?
Very cool.

vic303

Enlightened
With the lights all on, it reminds me of the little space ships in Close Encounters... LOL!

tron3

Banned
mdocod said:

This light made it's first appearance in the Poll "Ever attatch a smaller flashlight to your bigger flashlight" by Tron3...

And people say I have too much time on MY hands. :crackup:

Really though, ultra cool and funny. I hope we see more. Would make for a hillarious contest. "How to hyperthread your Thor!"

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
"This is your flashaholic:" <see most posts>

"This is your flashaholic on drugs:" <see mdocod post>

More accuratally: "This is your flashaholic on a 4 day weekend with nothing better to do"

hehe...

So when's the group buy?

I had an idea, for those of us that own the thors with the big rubber boot over the head. I think there is a lot of possability with that boot... or possibly the fabrication of a new boot. If it had slits cut into it, every few inches apart, one could slip 1 inch wide tie-down straps through the slits, use the boot as a tie-down point for realistic mounting of secondary lights onto a thor. (The bugie cord thing has a nice shaggy home-brew look to it, and I did carry it around to take pictures of it outside, but it wouldn't survive very long, thing would loosen up and fall out)..

another idea...
I was recently "clued" in to an idea reading about a homebrew bike light on here.. using some PVC fittings and a rubber things and an MR16 type lamp. The lamp would be 12V, so it could easily be used off the internal battery power.. Could cut another hole next to the switches and install a third rocker switch spacifically for the external lights... I wonder how well the thor would tolerate having holes cut into it's plastic for mounting points, (would the plastic crack?) a simple nut/bolt/washer mounting comes to mind- mounted back far enough in the head of the light so as not to protrude to the interior reflector.... I was thinking MR16s in the 20 degree focus range, 35W each, maybe 4 of them mounted around the upper half of the light. If only I could get some kinda high current voltage booster.!! (like the one Newbie has been tinkering with for so long)

Really though, ultra cool and funny. I hope we see more. Would make for a hillarious contest. "How to hyperthread your Thor!

as you can see, this is all really sparking my imagination, i'm already invisioning future variations on wacky thor mods.

mdocod

Flashaholic
to the moderator who moved the thread(from general flashlight discussion):

:huh2:

it may be funny- but I was going to go out tomaro and buy the pieces from home depot and try building some MR16s-mounts to attatch to the thor... With any luck this could turn out to be a pretty neat setup that many thor owners might be interested in taking a look at.

edit: When I get going on that part of the project, I guess I'll just start a new thread and keep the discussion more serious.... I guess this is more CAFE than I originally thought.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we should know...

Did the UMLS come into this world inspired directly by TRON3's post?

Or has it lurked around for a while due to some spark of flashaholic genius and need??

Very very very impressed and envious...

You da Man...:rock:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I had been planning to do it for many weeks, just didn't get motivated untill his thread was polling if anyone does it: decided it would make a perfect (funny) responce to the poll. then decided it deserved a name and a thread.

looking back on the name, I feel kinda bad about ripping off the letters "U, S, L" within the name.... but at the same time, maybe having those letters is more suiting for this class of lighting instrument.

[edit]
Or has it lurked around for a while due to some spark of flashaholic genius and need??

The only NEED was to make some folks laugh, have some fun, make myself laugh, (i still practically fall out of my chair when I look at the pictures) (and get some attention, lol).. I only had it setup like that for a few hours then disembled it, it was just for show... but it has really got me thinking about a more perminant installation of more lights onto the thor body.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
To make mountings like that more permanant, you need some kind of plate that you can attach to the rim of the Thor, then a similar plate you can slide in and lock in place. Or, just some really strong magnets. :naughty: