Introducing "The One"

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
minetroissd4lg.jpg

Since cmac have uped the ante for the MiniHID world with his 5 Inch Wonder, I have to do the same to the high power LEDs world.

My son love flashlights, but most of the high power ones in the house is a little too cumbersome for him to handle. So this is my attempt to get something more suiteable for his little hands. A regulated, 1 hr+ runtime, and 200 lumens output light.

Why you ask this is "The One", well to my limited knowledge there are only a few modded original orange MagLite in the world. And two of them are in the CA Bay Area. This section was the left over of CroMagnet's Mag1D cutdown. To top this off the original lime green head and tailcap. I would have fluted or groove the head if I can find a place can anodize and produce the same shinny quality as the original.

=== Specs ===
Runtime: 90+ minutes
Max Light Output: 201.6 - 262.2 lumens

=== Parts List ===
1x orange MagSD body
1x lime green head and tailcap switch
1x FatMan driver (latest version)
1x PTS2-D heatsink
3x Luxeon III TY0H
3x IMS SO17XA reflectors
1x 4AA-1D battery adapter

Below is an abbreviated guide of the assembly. A full detail guide is available here.
========== Assembly Guide ==========

Pay special attention to the position of the star alignment. It is configure for series connection.

Converter and star mounted

Using a small clamp helps during the potting process. Place a small amount of papertowl between the clamp and converter to ensure sufficient force applied.

Scruff the anode contact then solder and connect the positive wire.

Place the negative contact wire underneath the lock ring to provide cathode contact.

Sweet fruit of our labor.

double the runtime.

Who's afraid of the buggieman? I got daddy's light to protect me. No need for nitelite either.
Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/40s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

wtraymond

Enlightened
Very cool, Jonathan. I'm glad so many have found uses for the SD size. I need to get some of the great clickie tailcap conversions from cmaccel.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat, I did something similar with the MagSD I just got from you. I fitted it with your PTS2-D, shark driver, and three Lux3's. I did the cathode contact slightly differently. I used some #12 solid copper wire bent in a circle around the groove in the anode disc and soldered the wire on to it. The copper wire has just enough "springyness" after bending that it maintains good contact with the bored out body and to hold the adapter in place. But not enough to make it difficult to remove or to fall out of the groove when removed.

I also built a standard Mag bulb adapter and a hotwire adapter using a Kiu socket. Still not sure which of the three options will be the final choice but I like the versatility. If it wasn't for the fact the I know it's too risky, I would be tempted to go with 3 unprotected Li-Ion 14500's and a WA1185 in the Kiu socket. I know it works cause I couldn't help trying it, but the pucker factor is way too high for me.

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:

Lunal_Tic said:
Cool :thumbsup:

You could also call it the Gatorade Light, it's the right colors. :D

-LT
Why? It should be called "Lightneken" instead, Its the same color as the beverage next to it.

dcarch8:bumpit:

flash

Newly Enlightened
Hey Modamag! Great Setup...it looks sweet!

Quick newbie question: Where did you get that connector? I've been checking all over (hobby shops, and SourceCC), and haven't been able to find any of those bi-pin connectors.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
How about doing a run of these?:naughty: Could do it in all green, no need for the orange. That woud be sweet.

frisco

Enlightened
Put me on a list. Blue, Purple, Orange, Brown, Zebra, Spotted...... how ever you make them. Let me know.

frisco

mateen

Enlightened
Jonathan: What drive level did you set the Fatman to? I figure around 750mA would be the max on 4xNiMH?

missionaryman

Enlightened
Great work Jonathan, you've inspired me to make a light for my son too - his 1st birthday is coming up in less than a month and I was wandering what to get him.

I think I will revive and mod his Disney aligator light to may be something like a 1W drop in mod...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I like your choice of beer! :)finger: -> greenPUNK) Just a hint on the ano. Type II anodize will not cover/hide anything. Sanding swirls, no matter how fine will still be there and visable after anodizing. To have the head redone as nice as stock, I would recommend letting THE PUNK strip it for you, machine your grooves, then polish it to Mag's finish level. Drop it at your anodizer with instructions to rack it from the inside so as not to leave visable rack marks, and hope/pray his dye bath is the right shade. :D

Nice light, by the way!

Larry