could y'all update "The poor flashaholics top 10"?

wild bill

Newly Enlightened
my favorite CPF thread of all time is "The poor flashaholics top 10" posted by twentysixtwo back on Oct. 3
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94229

the reason it is my favorite thread is because I AM POOR!!!! :duh2:

anyways, the problem is, this wonderful thread is slightly old now, because a lot changes in flashlights in the 7 months that has elapsed!

I would treasure it, if twentysixtwo and you other smart chaps could post an updated version, then I can go shopping!

thanks, man! :goodjob:

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
I have a few lights to add:

Golston 7W - Poor man's Surefire L5 (see my icon)
3D Mag with 4C's stuffed in, using stock bulb or XPR103 bulb (Radioshack) - One helluva lightsaber
Brinkmann Maxfire LX - Great value for money and takes a P60
River Rock 2xAAA - Regulated, bright, make great gifts

carrot

Flashaholic
I think my post in that thread still holds its own today. I'll continue to stand by it. You might just end up saving money in the long run.

Two more, though.
River Rock 0.5W 2AAA ($10) -- great little light. Even amongst all my expensive lights, I still love it.
River Rock 0.5W 2AAA headlamp ($10-15) -- headlamps are something you probably won't use every day, but when you need it, you'll be glad you have it. Plus it's probably the best bang for the buck in headlamps.

I guess I have to recognize the unwillingness to buy a few expensive lights over a bunch of less "satisfying" cheaper ones... so here's carrot's recommendations for thrifty flashaholics.

- Fenix L1P - $38 shipped from http://fenix-store.com
- Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon - $30 shipped from http://www.fox-intl.com
- River Rock 0.5W 2AAA - $10 from Target
- Maglite Mini AA and Nite-Ize LED conversion kit - $15 from Walmart
- Brinkmann Maxfire LX with holster - $16 from Target
- Inova X5 (any color you like but red or UV) - $35 from Target, cheaper on BST or at Fry's (don't waste the CR123s from your Brinkmann!)
- ten Photon clones - $9 shipped from http://qualitychinagoods.com
- Surefire E1L - $80 shipped from OpticsHQ (you didn't think I'd let you get away without a Surefire, did you? :devil: )

Don't forget to pick up a few rechargeable batteries and a charger.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
List still looks pretty good Carrot. I agree on the River Rock 2AAA. Unbeatable value. The X5 is a light that still has great versatility even in the face of Luxeon lights. The headlamp is something that many simply overlook, because they never used one. I tell people: imagine needing both hands while walking in the dark. You just look, in order to target a illumination path. Outstanding.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually these lists get long and sometimes out of hand... I think a budding flashlight junkie would be best served with a small handful of modestly priced lights rather than 10 super cheap ones. I also take into consideration the ability to use rechargeable cells since that lowers the operational cost of the light.

1. Photon clones are pretty cheap for a rarely used keychain light.
2. River Rock or Inova Radiant 2xAAA light for relatively dim but pocketable light with decent runtime.
3. UK eLED 4AA for a very long running Luxeon light.
4. Brinkmann Maxfire with the Lux III BOG module since it's a great overall light and can use either 2 R123 cells or 1 17670 (or 18650 with a bit of work). Some might suggest the Streamlight Pro Poly Luxeon but it's just a bit too large for me personally.
5. Streamlight TL-3 on 2 17500 cells.
6. ROP Low LE in a Mag 2C Host.

You could combine #1 and #2 in the Nuwai TM310H. Single AAA cell version which, while it doesn't have a keyring attachment point, is small enough that there's no reason not to ALWAYS have it with you.

Or you could get #1 and then either get #2 or #3 as they serve about the same purpose.

#4 is a great all around light and you can upgrade the host with something nicer when funds allows.

Then get either #5 or #6 depending on if you want to be able to carry it on your person or leave it on the shelf or in the car when not being actively used. #6 is about twice as bright aas #5 though both are cheap to build and run.

Lights like the Fenix L1P, Nuwai Q3 etc are great if you only want to have one single light, but they are both compromise lights for sure.

As possible substitutes for #2 and/or #3 are the better versions of the XNovas and Emilions 7x7mm lights.

Other interesting lights that can be had on a budget include a Minimag or Minimag clone with an MJLED or an SMJLED though those really require lithium cells to work their magic. Also, any 2 cell host and the new PR-base SMJLED... Two of my most used lights are these and the PR SMJLED in a 2 D cell Maglite is extremely cost effecient when it comes to cell use... CRAZY runtime and very usable brightness and beam pattern.

I think in the old thread I included the new style Dorcy 3D Super 1W available at Target and other places but honestly, now I'd probably recommend the PR SMJLED in a 2D host over it for similar brightness, less throw but outrageous runtime.

Last edited:

wild bill

Newly Enlightened
I guess the main light I am looking for is one for each of the females in my life, my mother, my sister, girlfriends, etc.

the always seem to have an unreliable, and very DIM, POS flashlight

what I want to buy them is a relatively small (3 AA cell) but incredibly bright light, with a clicker switch, exotic batteries don't work for these gals. It needs to be not too fragile, women drop flashlights more than you would think.

a much brighter version of the classic 3 AA maglight would be what I need, but I do not have much money and several of these lights to purchase.

Runtime is less of a concern, they generally need a very bright light but only for a couple of minutes per day.

I am skillful at McGyver-ring & soldering, so a cheap mod idea would be fine.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wildbill,

if you are short of $$ (like we all are), and you are going to buy for the women in your life, I would suggest two options:

1. get a Fenix L1 or L1P for each of them Countrycomm has them for 30.00 each.

or

2. get yourself a couple of SMJLED kits to upgrade a Mag 2xAA lite, that way you could get some softer colored mags (light green, pink, silver...ect) and put the SMJLED kit in and walla instant hero. http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm

enjoy
Doug

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha cool.. to see the ROP/LE make the list even though it is a little bit pricey.

I'm not a Mag basher, so I can appreciate their new 3W Luxeon based 2AA or 3AA light that is coming soon. I hear the price is supposed to be around $25-$30 - which is really not bad. You get their excellent aluminium machining, a choice of color, now in LED, no need to change bulbs, for quite a reasonable price. Sounds good to me.

carrot

Flashaholic
I did a few calculations last night (actually, absurdly early this morning) and found the ROP 2D/6AA would cost about $130, if you're starting completely from scratch. Not really the "poor flashaholic's" price range, but still nice.

Yep, I still recommend the Fenix L1P or River Rock 2AAA for your purposes.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the following (especially since all my lights can be considered in the "poor flashaholics" price range):

- Nuwai TM-310H - great small light with very good machining and build quality. Provides a good amount of light and throw for dark indoors navigation. Cheap price. Great, simple switch. 1xAAA, easy to find battery and lasts a good time and you only need one (TM-311H is nice too, brighter than 310H, but requires 2xAAAs). $10..70 shipped from LED_Experimenter is cheap.

- Nuwai TM-313X - bigger than the TM-310H, but still easily pocketable. Clip can be reversed to carry bezel down and make it less noticable to others while in your pocket. Decent standard clickie. Very good amount of light for dark indoors navigation and great throw for the amount of light it makes. Machining and build quality are very good also. Uses 1xAA, cheap to get anywhere (0.20 at Ikea or Costco). Lasts forever on 1 battery. 2 for $20 from J2ledflashlight is a great price.

- Nuwai Q3 - Still my top recommendation for someone looking for their first 1x123A light. A Nuwai ALX-2611X or Dorcy Super 1W are lower priced, but the flexibility of the Q3 puts it on top unless the person just absolutely can't spend the extra $10. It's easily moddable to suit your needs...can be made brighter, runs on R123As fine, can be 2-stage (low/high), etc. IMO an attractive design. Good machining and build quality. <$31 shipped from LED_Experimenter is the best price I've seen.

- Triton P1 - Along with the Q3, this would be my top recommendation for an entry-level Lux light if the person wanted to stay with a standard battery type instead of a 123A. 1xAA that can be found anywhere. Equal total output of light to the L1P, at least equal HA3 durability (if not better), similar overall machining and build quality, and standard tail clickie (instead of reverse) for a lower price ($35 shipped). People complained about the finish durability, the lack of a standard tail clickie, the poor regulation on alkalines, and the eating of o-rings of the L1P (plus the switch failures). The Triton addressed the clickie and o-ring eating (tho, people still complain about the clickie now that they at least have a standard clickie). While the L1P has it's faults, the Triton P1 has it's own set of faults, some addressed the L1P's faults while it introduced a few of it's own. I don't see either light being more faulted or exceeding the other overall in performance for the dollar, so if people can consider the L1P a "best buy for the money", the Triton P1 at less money is an even better buy IMO.

- Streamlight TL-3 - Damn bright and great throw, and the best combo of the 2 for the money. Great machining and bulid quality...not quite SF, but for the price, a great bargain. Got mine for $50+tax...looking around can find similar deals.

- Surefire G2 - Best xenon light in the $30 range. Durable and has the legendary SF support. A SL TL-2 would be my next choice for something near this price range...IMO, the TL-2 is more attractive, smaller, and has better throw for about $10 more, but for sheer price/performance, the G2 is great.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
diggdug13 said:
2. get yourself a couple of SMJLED kits to upgrade a Mag 2xAA lite, that way you could get some softer colored mags (light green, pink, silver...ect) and put the SMJLED kit in and walla instant hero. http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm

enjoy
Doug

Aren't the Rock River .5 watt lights the same as smjled? They're even cutdown. Cheaper to just go to target.

iamerror

Enlightened
I would agree with the recommendations for the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon and the Surefire G2. I think I would also add the Princeton Tec Blast and the Princeton Tec Surge.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
One way to keep costs down is to buy the minimum number of lights that will cover all the requirements. That way it will be possible to spend more per light. There is no need for a top 10. Top 5 will do.

Keychain light:
KevinL 35K coin cell. $2.50 If you use your keychain light more than for emergincies get some batteries at the same time.
While there are lots of $1 coin cell lights, you are taking your chances as to how bright they are.
Keychain lights, 40K mcd LEDs and batteries

Pocket light:
Nuwai TM-310H. $10 The single AAA version of the River Rock 2AAA. Much more pocketable. Use this as Your main EDC with the coin cell as backup.
FS: Nuwai 0.5W 1-AAA, 2-AAA

Goto utility light/Car glovebox light:
River Rock 2AAA/Nuwai TM-311H. $10 or
Streamlight 4AA propolymer luxeon $30
The River Rock 2AAA is easier to hold than the 1AAA which is rather short. Also doubles the runtime from 2 to 4 hours. If one gets the Nuwai version at the same time as ordering the 1AAA can save a trip to Target. Non US members do not have acess to Target.
The Streamlight is 3X brighter. Plastic construction is less cold to the touch outdoors in winter. Has enough throw to double as the main outdoor light.
STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED $22.95

Outdoor light:
Thor 15MCD. $30-$40 Stock production spotlight should be a lot less expensive than ROP and other custom hotwires. Check out the local hardware stores.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people are averse to expensive lights for many reasons. Maybe the spouse opposed the idea/need for a $50 flashlight, maybe because of the risk of losing a pricey toy in use. I have to admit that I carry my $20 ALX2611 more than my $73 Amilite, though part of it is because of the switch type too. But there is a good point if you KNOW what you want, to save by getting fewer GOOD lights as they will serve you better.
But then you can always sell your old stuff on the B/S/T forum here...

So here is my short list of cheap, but fairly good lights.

* Surefire G2 - ~$30-35 - quality, already includes a good lamp, and it's a Surefire.
Or, Brinkman Maxfire $16 - cheaper for occasional use and could use a better lamp, your decision, but I'd go with the lifetime use of a Surefire.
If you want a bright LED:
* Nuwai TM-301X-3 (Big Q3), but mine broke internally from dropping it less than two feet to the floor, so I can't say it (or any Nuwai) has good quality and will be dependable. Though I really want to fix mine and they are almost as moddable as the Q3 since they are the same with more life and more output. Or I will get a Surefire or an Inova T3 or X03 (drool) to replace it.

EDC's:
* Nuwai ALX2611 $21 from Amondotech or Emilion - probably the cheapest light with a tactical tail clicky, so you can flash and signal, 3 hrs runtime of bright light.
* Inova X1 - $15 from Batteryjunction - new style floody version is good - AA lights are always good to have, but this is not incredibly bright, the last of the old version had an upgraded LED and good throw for a 1xAA.
* MiniMag 2AA - under $10 and many mod options to open you up to future spending...
* Dorcy 1AA - $10 - whiter than the Nuwai 0.5Watt lights and battery lasts longer - I like the Jil better though
* Photon clones from Advancedmart or other - ~$1 ea. Get several and put them everywhere. I have ones on my jacket pocket zipper and laptop bag that I use every day.

I try to keep it to two rechargeable battery types, Ni-MH AA and RCR123 to keep cost down, but I have several AAA lights that work well, so I can't count them out as cheap backup lights.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
I did a few calculations last night (actually, absurdly early this morning) and found the ROP 2D/6AA would cost about $130, if you're starting completely from scratch. Not really the "poor flashaholic's" price range, but still nice.

Yep, I still recommend the Fenix L1P or River Rock 2AAA for your purposes.

I mean the ROP Low LE. All you need is:

2C Mag
Bulb
2x18650 Cells
Itty bitty magnet

I've gone through many charge cycles, one of which was non-stop with a stock mag reflector and there is no damage to the reflector or plastic lens.

Having said that, I use a UCL in the ROP... Just makes me feel better and it might be a tad brighter.

Basically, I see the ROP Low LE as a twice as bright and twice as large version of the Streamlight TL-3.

carrot

Flashaholic
cratz2 said:
I mean the ROP Low LE. All you need is:

2C Mag
Bulb
2x18650 Cells
Itty bitty magnet
Which bulb, and how do the 18650's fit? Need some kind of spacers? Additionally, is there a thread with more details/pictures? I'm a visual kinda guy. (I did a few searches; nothing that useful came up.)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb needed is the 'Low' from the 2 bulb set for the Pelican Big D. This set contains 2 bulbs - a Low used in the ROP Low and the High used in the regular ROP. The set is available from Lighthound.com

The 18650s fit just fine in most Mag 2Cs. You need to remove the tailcap spring and then remove the anodize from inside the tailcap. Then you need a teeny tiny little magnet available from several sources including Radio Shack though I think they're $2 or $3 for a pair while you can buy 100 for about $5. I don't need or use any spacers. Just put the cells in with the magnet on the negative end of the second 18650 and that's that!

I think it's estimated to be 400 Lumens and runs for about an hour... maybe 70 minutes on 2 18650 cells.