CRITICAL UPDATE! (8/7/23) Imalent SR32 vs Everything else (120,000 lumen flashlight)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Critical Update: My Imalent SR32 120,000 lumen has LED dies in it that have BURNED OUT!

This is an issue they have had before. I waited to get my light while Imalent addressed the problem (why my video came out 2 months later than other reviewers). During the initial two weeks of testing I had no problems at all. I CHECKED THE DIES and reported in the comments section to viewers that I was having no issue.

After this I ran a series out output tests where the light runs approximately 10-15 straight minutes (total of about another 45 minutes use on turbo across 3 tests), during which time the thermal protection did kick in and should have prevented this. I then sent the light to Ethan and he ran a few more similar tests and that is when he discovered the dies had failed. This failure occurred during what I consider to be "Normal" use. No "torture tests" the light made.

I intend to go through the process of getting the light warrantied. I will post updates to the situation as it unfolds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I compared the SR32 to my other brightest lights like MS18 Acebeam X75, and my GT4.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool video. I'm wondering if you've ever had a warranty claim with Imalent, and how it went.
No, I've never had to go through it before. I only ever had one Imalent light fail that I recall (DX80), and it was sent to me by a dealer I think. At the time I had so many other things to deal with I decided to just skip it. Also in order to actually know what it was like I would have to take steps to conceal my identity. When you get lights for the purpose of review they companies and dealers are quick to handle things. I've been following a thread on reddit and one at BLF and it seems Imalent is taking aggressive action to fix the issues some people have had with dies burning. I actually got one of the improved lights, but had to wait an extra 2 months or so to get mine.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could use some math help if you guys don't mind. I don't need it to be perfect, I just want to get a realistic estimate. It's hard to get an accurate measurement on the Imalent SR32 drive current, but I wanted to know the wattage.
I read that it uses 8x 21700 cells in the battery pack. I've not seen a test of the XHP50.3 HI that overdrives, but Texas ace did one on the 50.2 HD

XHP50.2_J4_4000k_70CRI_complete Texas ace.jpg

Taking Imalents claimed 120,000 lumens divided by the 32 LEDs is 3750 lumens per LED. Looking at TAs chart that would indicate 34.2 watts used
at that output. So 34.2x32= 1,094 watts. However, the 50.2 HD is 4.85% more efficient drive at Crees stated max. 2160 lumens vs the 2060 produced
the 50.3 HI. In addition TAs chart 11.5% higher output than what cree claims for the 50.2 HD emitters at spec. So like 16.35% higher in total (theoretically) than what a 50.3HI would put out. So 3750 lumen x 1.1635= 4363 lumens would be the actual target value to look up on the chart.
This correlates to right about 46.8 watts. 46.8 x 32= 1497.6 watts. Is this right or am I way off somehow?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built this heavy test rig so I could find out how many watts the Worlds Brightest Flashlight is putting out/consuming. Put your GUESS in the comments below.
Video comes out tomorrow.....
20230701_151912.jpg

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Critical Update: My Imalent SR32 120,000 lumen has LED dies in it that have BURNED OUT!

This is an issue they have had before. I waited to get my light while Imalent addressed the problem (why my video came out 2 months later than other reviewers). During the initial two weeks of testing I had no problems at all. I CHECKED THE DIES and reported in the comments section to viewers that I was having no issue.

After this I ran a series out output tests where the light runs approximately 10-15 straight minutes (total of about another 45 minutes use on turbo across 3 tests), during which time the thermal protection did kick in and should have prevented this. I then sent the light to Ethan and he ran a few more similar tests and that is when he discovered the dies had failed. This failure occurred during what I consider to be "Normal" use. No "torture tests" the light made.

I intend to go through the process of getting the light warrantied. I will post updates to the situation as it unfolds.

SR32-Fail-resized.png

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems as bright as my Led Lenser X21R. I'm getting a Lupine soon which is a bit brighter. When some US or EU company makes something like this I'll get one.
Well since this thread I ordered a Betty and I have a LL X21R. If you want a ton of lumens get a light from a reputable company. Now to find out which has more Lux....

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for the update. With you being a well known reviewer and youtuber, you will probably get prompt warranty service. The rest of us, not necessarily - hence my recent divorce from Imalent.

I like that Acebeam X75, but I wish it had an ultra low & long running mode, like my K75. A week at 7 lumens is pretty impressive if you'd happen to be stranded with just that light.

I did recently get the Acebeam X80GT-2 and am digging it, but at 34K lumens, it's not in the league of those big ones you are testing. Will be looking forward to your update.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Lot's of threads on the the non-existent customer service by Imalent. I had to use the threat of posting my experience with them on CPF to get things fixed. Posted anyway after I got my replacement.

Good for you. I had to smart off on their facebook page to finally get my replacement - after 5 months! And the bad thing is, it was only a $100 MS03. Not a wise business decision to lose a repeat customer over a $100 light.

They do make some interesting and BRIGHT lights, and I have 3, but I've read quite a bit about failures. I'm sure it's difficult to deal with the intense heat generated, but if they're not going to back up their product with adequate customer service, then what's the use? I'm not going to spend big bucks with a company like that. I've gone back to companies that I have more trust in, like Fenix, Malkoff, and Acebeam.

I actually haven't had to deal with Acebeam customer service because I haven't had a failure, but I do like their lights, so if anyone else has dealt with them, please let us know how it went. I do know that Fenix & Malkoff customer service are STELLAR.

LaGgY_42o

Newly Enlightened
From Imalent? How long has it been?
Let's see they received my replacement light I sent in on July 21st, heard from rep last on 31st, haven't requested a tracking number but I'll send an email now. After the first replacement kinda no rush for this one lol.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some reliable bright lites with factory support!

I was out playing with them after a long day working.

Attachments

• 75FA3DC8-05EA-4F02-A1A4-3620FF71EC91.jpeg
    75FA3DC8-05EA-4F02-A1A4-3620FF71EC91.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84

hamhanded

Enlightened
@imalent whatever happened with this? I want an SR32, but I don't want to throw my money away on an unsupported product if something goes wrong.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No update since Early August. Not good.
Hopefully Imalent fixed the issue by now.

hamhanded

Enlightened
This was the top search result for Imalent SR32 so I'll be holding off on a purchase unless there's some meaningful response from them about this.