Flashlight for Elderly Mom

flashlife

Enlightened
My mom is 86, has arthritis, and needs a lightweight, easy to operate light with good 'spud' beam and few battery changes (long runtime).

I'm thinking an Inova Radiant 2AA for it's light weight, easy-on tailcap clicky, inexpensive price, and 6+ Hr runtime.

I know there are higher-end lights that will burn holes in a brick wall, are small enough to hide in a coin purse, and have 30 minute runtimes...but...Mom just needs something to replace the 2C incand she's got now.

Any suggestions?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For people with arthritis, especially older folks, keep it lightweight, keep it slightly larger, and keep it simple.

These are folks who are not on less able to handle heavy items or easily turn or press switches, but they are also usually set in their ways. I'd suggest that you let her try a light with a switch (maybe one with a tailcap and another with a switch on the tube) and a twisty to see which is easier for her.

The Radiant AAA weighs less than the AA, but the size might actually be too small. The rearend switch should be pretty easy to operate for her.

The shape is a little unconventional for her, but how about an Eternalight? Easy to operate switches, lightweight, long life, and will fit easily in a pocket. The lower end models are even smaller, simple to operate, and inexpensive.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the good old Streamlight 4AA 7LED?

It has a very light-action clicky, and produces a big flood of light. It isn't large at all and is even waterproof. Not regulated, but it still has a decent runtime. I have one to Grandma, she really likes it.
The Luxeon version might be good as well, since it is regulated and very bright.

The Radiant...pretty good choice. I recall the clicky being very light, and heard they fixed the doughnut hole in the beam.

Bob

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
me likey the safe-light / pal-lights.

it uses a 9 volt battery that seems to last forever. the form factor also makes it hard for it to roll underneath the bed or sofa.

i have the version that has the constant-on feature which makes it really easy to find @ night. plus... it's large enough to be noticeable in my mom's hands.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the flattish 4xAA plastic lights:
  • Are lightweight.
  • Have multi 5mm LEDs so they have a useful flood for older eyes.
  • Have a flattish/oblong cross-sectional form factor that is easier to grip than a light running on C cells.
  • Have switches that may be operated with one hand.
  • Have switches that are much less painful to operate for people with arthritis than twisties.
  • Are inexpensive to purchase.
  • Tend to have longish runtimes.
  • Are rugged enough to survive being dropped onto a hard floor or into a sink full of water.
Maybe something along the lines of the STREAMLIGHT Propoly-4.

Last edited:

watt4

Enlightened
pedalinbob said:
How about the good old Streamlight 4AA 7LED?

It has a very light-action clicky, and produces a big flood of light. It isn't large at all and is even waterproof. Not regulated, but it still has a decent runtime. I have one to Grandma, she really likes it.

Bob

when I read the thread topic, I picked up my Streamlight 4AA 7LED and tried turning it on and off by various means. It's easy to turn on/off with a knuckle, or by pressing the button against the edge of a tabletop. to make it eaven esier, you might grind down the two protective ears around the clickie button. long run time, too.

or try the luxeon model if brighter is desired. ( I need one of those now. :) )

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only drawback that I can see with the Streamlight 4AA Propoly (any model) is that there could be some difficulty/confusion in replacing the batteries. The little piece of paper on the inside of the 4AA PP shell could be difficult for an elderly person to read, and if Flashlife's mom is 86, then he himself is probably already at an age where he might also be experiencing some indications of the fuzzy letter/short arm syndrome with small text at close distances :). (Yeah, I know it well, mom turns 87 next month :) )

flashlife

Enlightened
Thanks, All !

Good info...and based on lots of experience.

I hesitate on the Streamlight PP 4AA. It gets only 2-stars from flashlightreviews due to its overdriving its 7 LEDs, and has its tailswitch 'hidden' somewhat.

Though my mom is not senile, probably all the multi-mode lights are out...I have to reprogram her TV/Cable remote for her when it goes bonkers. :)
Simple on/off is probably better.

I like the Pelican Stealth for its easy switch, but it may be Too bright, and the battery-change too involved. Thanks, CHC, for that link to the earlier thread...very useful.

A "grocery-store regular" with an LED drop-in may be the ticket for familiarity...still looking, and thinking...

flashlife

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
The only drawback that I can see with the Streamlight 4AA Propoly (any model) is that there could be some difficulty/confusion in replacing the batteries. The little piece of paper on the inside of the 4AA PP shell could be difficult for an elderly person to read, and if Flashlife's mom is 86, then he himself is probably already at an age where he might also be experiencing some indications of the fuzzy letter/short arm syndrome with small text at close distances :). (Yeah, I know it well, mom turns 87 next month :) )

Yep, I'm 60 and the tiny script on some flashlight packaging makes me often reach for another flashlight to read'em. :)

Mom has cataracts so "easy-to-see" is a good thing for her also.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlife,

Bummer. I'm surprised by the runtime. In the link I gave to Craig's review he mentions a runtime 'claimed' by SL of 155 hrs! I took it with a grain of salt but figured that even if the actual runtime was just 1/4 or 1/5 of that it would be great.

NUWAI has a plastic light with this form factor and multiple LEDs that has switchable brightness -- but I've never been able to get my hands on one.

Be sure to let us know how it works out.

watt4

Enlightened
flashlife said:
Thanks, All !
A "grocery-store regular" with an LED drop-in may be the ticket for familiarity...

if you're willing to mod something, then get her a light with a magnet, and stick it on her refrigerator. (get two.)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlife said:
Yep, I'm 60 and the tiny script on some flashlight packaging makes me often reach for another flashlight to read'em. :)

I use a River Rock 2 AAA for this purpose when I don't have reading glasses handy or if the type is still too small with reading glasses ;)

flashlife said:
Mom has cataracts so "easy-to-see" is a good thing for her also.

As your mom (as did you and I) grew up with barreled flashlights with slide switches, it's too bad that there isn't something along those lines with an LED. Going with an LED would probably be the best route to go though, as the bluer spectrum seems to make things more distinguishable for tired middle aged eyes (not to mention the elderly :) ).

bexteck

Enlightened
I'm not going to suggest any particular lights, but I think that the most important features that a light for an elderly person should have are the following.

-big enough to hold on to
-bright color to be visible
-large, easy to operate switch on the side (where most people expect to find a switch)

Its easy to spot a switch on the side of a light, but if you don't remember its there, a tailcap switch can sometimes be very hard to spot as some of them just look like the cap to the battery compartment.

Depending on how often you visit, you could just make it a point to check on the batteries and replace them yourself every so often to save grandma the trouble of figuring out how to do it herself.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built my mother a 3 C cell Mag conversion. She is in her 70's. It is very bright the batteries seem to last forever. It has a simple and easy to use button and it is not too heavy.
She claims it is the best flashlight she has ever owned.
3 C mag conversion has the best of all worlds.
AA batteries just don't have the stayiing power required, changing batteries can be more of a challange for elderly people than using a light. If they have to do that all the time it makes life more difficult rather than simpler.
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
chmsam said:
The shape is a little unconventional for her, but how about an Eternalight? Easy to operate switches, lightweight, long life, and will fit easily in a pocket. The lower end models are even smaller, simple to operate, and inexpensive.

I've had an ErgoMarine and a Derringer. I'd hate in either case to get her to try and change the batteries with arthritis, particularly the Ergo models which need a screwdriver.

yellow1 said:
me likey the safe-light / pal-lights.

it uses a 9 volt battery that seems to last forever. the form factor also makes it hard for it to roll underneath the bed or sofa.

i have the version that has the constant-on feature which makes it really easy to find @ night. plus... it's large enough to be noticeable in my mom's hands.

Another good choice but again battery change issues persist, and she'd be doing it every 2 years. Getting the retaining band off and back on again would be hard for someone with arthritis (oops--I've only used Pals and E-Lites; don't know how the battery is changed on the Safe-Light, but if it's simpler, I'll happily eat my words, and would recommend the Safe-Light Companion as easiest to find).

My choice would be somewhat offbeat: The Energizer Quick Switch. Why?

-It's large enough for someone with reduced dexterity to handle and find if misplaced.
-Battery changes are simple, it can take batteries large enough for her to handle, and it can take AAs, Cs, or Ds, so if she has 2 (matching) of any of those, she's good to go.
-If it's dropped it's relatively cheap to replace.
-The switch is very easy to work.
-Swap out the bulb for a Lambda PR and the runtime, brightness, and smoothness of beam all increase, while fragility of the bulb drastically decreases.
-Color is light enough to see and the orange trim at the bezel is also highly visible.

Only drawbacks are that it's a bit slick (fixable with grip tape), it's not roll-proof (could glue a foam rubber block onto its "anti-roll" pegs), and it won't stand on its tail for candle use.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I concur on using Lambda's PR based SMJLed in a suitable host, depending on what your mom is comfortable using. A 2-C mag might be a good choice, not as heavy as the 2D and the switch is relatively easy to actuate. Very long runtime. Probably best all around beam, decent throw if she needs to see what went bump outside the window.

Another option is using a minimag with a NiteIze upgrade (led module only) and a Kroll switch. The Kroll switch is easy to use, and can easily be acutated by pressing against a hard surface, i.e. nightstand. Rubber covered so won't scratch anything. Avoid the switch that comes in the NiteIze upgrade combo.
If a small twisty works, the Xnova 1xAA is good, more than enough light for dinking around the house. Dorcy 1xAAA with a reflector is good too. Both switches need to be properly lubed. These are really short distance beams. Might be smallish for arthritic hands, though worth a try.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
bruddamoke said:
Another option is using a minimag with a NiteIze upgrade (led module only) and a Kroll switch. The Kroll switch is easy to use, and can easily be acutated by pressing against a hard surface, i.e. nightstand. Rubber covered so won't scratch

A good idea--just be sure to add the rubber hex ring for the bezel to keep it from rolling away. It'll also keep the bezel from scratching things up.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
My grandmother is 89 and she still uses all my grandfathers old flashlights but has trouble with batteries and short run times, I visit her at least once a month and last visit I brought her an Osram Golden Dragon Lantern. Well she would not put the thing down, I called her a couple of days later and during the course of the conversation asked her how she liked it, She said she uses it every night, it is her new "roam around the house at night" light and the day I gave it to her she said she lost power that very same evening and used it for several hours to read and absolutely loved it, she wants to give them to all her friends. I don't have the heart to tell her they cost $30-$40 dollars and can't be bought in this country. So thats my story and I'm stinkin to it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about how appropriate the Kroll switch would be in this application. There are numorous known QC and maintainence issues with the Kroll that would seem to rule it out (IMO). These issues are well documented and long standing.

I'm liking an LED drop-in in a standard 2C light the more I think about it.