Good bicycle forums?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone point me to a good bike forum? I'm looking for something that covers road, MTB, and hybrid, or a combination of good forums that specialize in one or the other.

I've been an off-and-on cyclist along with collecting free bikes from yard sales and the local dump (just got a 2001 Trek 7300 24-speed aluminum hybrid that was left outside!). Now I'm trying to pare down the collection and need some advice as far as components and matching stuff.

Any suggestions?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. My Dutch isn't any good so I think I'll have to stick to English forums.

Off the top of my head for any CPF'ers who can help:

Any experience with early '90s Miyata bonded titanium (sold as Elevation 8000 or TiRunner) frames? I found one being thrown out and I'm building it up.

How can you tell when a rear derailler's worn out? I have a box full of used ones that I need to sort through. The Miyata came with an XT but it feels a little loose.

What's the difference when it comes to men's vs. women's ergo (hole in the middle) seats? I have a Surfas I'm trying to ID.

How long has the 27" road bike tire been obsolete?

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
ABTOMAT said:
Any experience with early '90s Miyata bonded titanium (sold as Elevation 8000 or TiRunner) frames? I found one being thrown out and I'm building it up.

I don't have any personal experience with those, but I know some folks that would get a "harde plasser" (find the translation for that one :laughing: ) from such a thing, especially if it is in good condition.

ABTOMAT said:
How can you tell when a rear derailler's worn out? I have a box full of used ones that I need to sort through. The Miyata came with an XT but it feels a little loose.

Usually, a worn derailler can be quite easily revived by replacing the bearings and jockey wheels. But if the thing is bent or severely scratched, I'd just put on a new one. If you are going to replace it, stay away from shitmano if you can. There are others that make better stuff for less money. But, keep in mind that new deraillers and old shifters might not be compatible, especially if they are different brands. But on a bike like this, some sweet retro parts would be nice...

ABTOMAT said:
What's the difference when it comes to men's vs. women's ergo (hole in the middle) seats? I have a Surfas I'm trying to ID.

pressure points on a womens seat are usually wider apart. Personally I don't care for womens or mens seats, I just use the one that suits me the best. I recently got a new seat which is a mens model, but I rode around on a womens seat for years as it was most comfortable. I even had a classic Brooks seat on my XC mountainbike for a while...

ABTOMAT said:
How long has the 27" road bike tire been obsolete?

Uhm, aproximately since the day it was introduced :p But if you are looking for some, Try the following:

Continental Ultra Sport
Continental Ultra Gatorskin
IRC Roadwinner 2
Panaracer Pasela
Schwalbe(swallow) Marathon
Michelin World tour

Or any other tire in ETRTO 26-630, 28-630 or 32-630 size.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, great. The Miyata is a sweet bike, if a little weird looking. Titanium tubes glued to huge cast-and-bolted aluminum lugs. Original aluminum fork, Nitto stem and bars. Very light. Like this, but mine's all silver:

8000.jpg

By wear, I meant more in the pivots. How much slop is too much?

About the 27" tires: The first road bike I ever owned (still have it) is a Cannondale aluminum from the '80s. Their first aluminum bike. I got it in like-new condition as the previous owner (who was throwing it out) had bought it for his sister (23" men's frame--must be quite a sister) and she never rode it. Still had the molding fingers on the 27" tires. I haven't ridden it much, either. Original Shimano 600 all around.

While we're on road bikes, how would you rank a late '80s Cannondale, an early '90s Trek 1000, and a mid '90s Diamondback Centurion Master TG? I'll probably sell the Cdale (too old) and the Diamondback (too small). Might take the components off the latter.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
ABTOMAT said:
By wear, I meant more in the pivots. How much slop is too much?

Any...

ABTOMAT said:
While we're on road bikes, how would you rank a late '80s Cannondale, an early '90s Trek 1000, and a mid '90s Diamondback Centurion Master TG? I'll probably sell the Cdale (too old) and the Diamondback (too small). Might take the components off the latter.

All depends on the state of the bike and the components used on it... Don't know much about the Diamondback as the brand isn't all that big here in europe. The cannondale and the trek might be of interest to retro/cult bike lovers....