Why should I chose the SW02 over the Z48 switch?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for feedback, these two switches appear to be the same length and perform the same I believe (momentary and clickie)..... So is it only looks for choosing one over the other? Their price points are also pretty far apart from each other. So am I missing anything to make me lean one way or another?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Curtis

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, looks. And maybe you might need the SW02 for a different gripping method, but this is not my field of expertise ...

IMHO the SW02 is SF's sexiest tailcap:

SurefireC2KT2SW02back.jpg

SurefireC3KT2SW02.jpg

SurefireC3SW02KL5.jpg

bernie

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Thanks.

Now I will just wait to Arc Mania Tower Module and I am all set.

Thanks guys.

Curtis

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Looks is a big part of it. But caveat emptor: buyer beware! -- the SW02 is quite pricey. On a whim I bought a pair of them when they were on sale at Gander Mountain for $25, lowest price I had ever seen. When I started using it however, this is important, the switch body is so large I had significant difficulty operating it one handed with the thumb. I had to slide the light back in my hand to get the thumb right on the switch, it was awkward at best. Compared to the straightforward Z49. I stopped using it becuase of this, even the momentary button Z48 was easier to use. Then I found a home for it where it worked best: on my U2. Somehow the way I grip the U2 it works for me. Whereas the Z3 or 12ZM I had to move my grip to the back of the light, imbalanced. For momentary activation the grip shifting was annoying enough to stop using it. I personally dont care about this, but if you are one of those "My HAIII HAS to match and be uniform" folks forget the SW02. Even on the switch body its a two tone affair, the dashed ring is different from the large scalloped grip, and totally different from my lights, just enough to be noticeable. I actually like the shade differences, it accentuates the lines. But my primary concern is always functionality, and in that regard you want to be sure you like its fit and function. I like the guarded tail, but the guard with the large grip in front of it can be a tad daunting for momentary use one handed. Just my 2 pesos. Enjoy the light! IMHO you are thinking too much about this. Jump in the water, my friend! I think the 12ZM with 3" head is a killer host for the Arcmania SFTM but to each his own. The KT head is VERY heavy and lesser performance than the SRTH or three inch T1/2. Speaking of this I have to track down a new SRTH....

Protaeus

Enlightened
call me wierd, but Im not fond of the SW02 switch at all - both practically and ergonomically. It just looks kind of awkward and cumbersome. Does it offer additional protection over the regular z48?

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Besides looks, the SW02 does help to function slightly as an anti-roll device especially if you have a round body/bezel light like the L6, M3T, M4 etc...

It also helps to add weight to the tail of a light like an M4 which is a bit long and front-heavy. It can also function as a very good twistie with excellent turning grip.

However, it's so expensive! Moreover, not many of my flashlights really require the above-mentioned features. Based on that alone, I would choose the Z48 for most of my applications. I've not dismantled either the SW02 or Z48, but I believe they're identical internally.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think size15s (our resident SF expert) has posted in the past that the clickie internals of the Z48 and SW02 are identical, so no performance differences. As others have said, the SW02 just has the tacticool advantage, that's what sold me on it! :)

mountains_005.jpg

BBL

Enlightened
the SW02/Z48/Z49 housings are, as far as i can tell, two parts screwed together, containing the same internal mechanism and rubber-boot. The difference between SW02 and Z48/49 is the rear-part of the housing.

Not worth the added $25, imho.

The Z48/Z49 may be ugly, but i really like it for its function. It feels so smooth and reliable, what i would expect from a surefire-clickie.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I find the SW02 can really help with grip with holding and use the M4. The 'over-sized' style makes it far easier to use with gloves on, or in the cold or wet etc. That is the primary purpose if the style - the SW01 & SW02 are designed to be used in poor conditions and in highly stressful situations where you can not waste time trying to rotate a TailCap.

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Poor conditions and stressful situations ... like going from my living room to the bathroom and back ... :D

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree that is mostly a choice of look and $$. I have both a Z48 and an SW02 and move them between lights as needed.

I think the turbo front end lights such as M3T and M4 look great and a little better balanced with the SW02.

There is another real world consideration. If you add the SW02 to a C2, C3 or M3, and you carry that light in a pouch type holster, it may no longer fit with the SW02 due to increased tail diameter.

Mark