I'm in shock... maglite pricing...

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Well... I was cruising the net looking for a good deal on a pair of walking shoes... when I came across a dutch webstore selling all kinds of outdoor gear. After finding that they sell their shoes at msrp, I took a look at the plashlight section...

I know stuff is expensive in the netherlands, but this website really beats all I've seen so far...

First of all, a 2D maglite, on sale from 63,50 euro ($75,57) for 47,63 euro ($56,68) :sick:

Then I came across the MagCharger... priced at 313 euro ($372,48) :poke:

But I almost passed out when I saw the price on the AA minimag with checkered flag design... They want 75 euro ($89,26) for that thing!!!! :faint:
almost 90 bucks for a freaking minimag!!! these people should be in a mentalhome!

And there were various other lights at completely ridiculous prices too... How can these people still be in business? Are there really people on this planet who are ignorant enough to buy these?? In that case, my sigline just got a whole new meaning....

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
but were they made from solid gold.:huh2:

2D maglite in the UK, cheapest = approx $32.00 usd

2C maglite in canada, cheapest = approx $12.00 usd

regards.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are the kinds of prices that I saw in retail stores in Germany for Mag lights as well.

MayCooper said:
Well... I was cruising the net looking for a good deal on a pair of walking shoes... when I came across a dutch webstore selling all kinds of outdoor gear. After finding that they sell their shoes at msrp, I took a look at the plashlight section...

I know stuff is expensive in the netherlands, but this website really beats all I've seen so far...

First of all, a 2D maglite, on sale from 63,50 euro ($75,57) for 47,63 euro ($56,68) :sick:

Then I came across the MagCharger... priced at 313 euro ($372,48) :poke:

But I almost passed out when I saw the price on the AA minimag with checkered flag design... They want 75 euro ($89,26) for that thing!!!! :faint:
almost 90 bucks for a freaking minimag!!! these people should be in a mentalhome!

And there were various other lights at completely ridiculous prices too... How can these people still be in business? Are there really people on this planet who are ignorant enough to buy these?? In that case, my sigline just got a whole new meaning....

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is the same not only for Mag, but also for SF, Streamlight and other US brands overseas in the old world. Even the LEdLensers are cheaper in the USA :rant: :D
bernie

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually the pricing in the netherlands is slightly lower... 2D for 35 euro, magcharger for 180 euro and minimag for 22 euro... But still... ordering from the US will still be cheaper...

Funny by the way... most people in the netherlands think of mags as the final word in flashlights. While here at CPF they are mostly seen as "the bottom of the food chain" or "just a good host for mods"... This afternoon I was in one of the local outdoor shops and asked if they had any good flashlights. The girl came back with some energizer thingy. I said, no, I'm looking for GOOD flashlights as in the best you have... She came back with a maglite... I told her that I'd have to spend at least twice the price of that mag extra "just to make it work". She asked me what could be better than a mag (with genuine interest or very talented acting :laughing: ) And I happened to be carrying my Fenix L1P, Surefire L4 and I had my Mag85 in my bag :grin:. She tried em all out, she even looked into the beam of the L1p and L4, but I stopped her when she wanted to do the same with the Mag85... Anyway, she is going to talk to her boss so he will expand the flashlight section a bit...

Looks Like I discovered a very rare specimen here: Flashaholicus Femalus....

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I noticed that any product from the U.S. is sold in foreign countries as if it's dimonds. I wonder what would SF's cost there; thousands?? lol

The scary thing is converting E.U. currency to the U.S. Never in history did our green dollar fall like that. I hope things will change soon.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ex girlfriend is in Germany now, and her landlord asked her to find out what 2 or 3C Maglite prices are over here. Naturally she emailed me. I can only find C-cell Mags in RadioShack and Home Depot anymore and they were $15 in Home Depot. I had heard here on CPF that they were more expensive over in the EU, but holey smokes! Of course I offered to send them some, even considered doing it for just shipping cost because that will cost more than the flashlights.

My next trip over I'm going to take a few as gifts. They'll think I'm giving away my life savings until I tell them what I paid.

And I think I will send her a link to this thread...

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
If any of you EU lads ever need something, I am more than willing to buyand ship it over across the pond. Just PM me anytime.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is one of the reasons we are so desperate for intl. shipping ... 'cause even with custom fees and local VAT the lights are still way cheaper than what we'd pay locally.
bernie

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I remember people I knew filling their luggage with Levis when traveling to certain parts of the world and more than paying for the trip by selling them off abroad. I don't know if this formula still applies, but I just jammed 100 2D mags into a dufflebag and I'm off for Antarctica! :wave:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood. My German friend was beside himself when I took him to Costco and he was able to get both a 3D and a Mini Mag, with batteries, for $20! I guess German Zoll has never had a reason to inspect the contents of my luggage, otherwise they probably would have wondered by a middle aged man would be wearing so many new pairs of Levi's :D

Kiessling said:
This is one of the reasons we are so desperate for intl. shipping ... 'cause even with custom fees and local VAT the lights are still way cheaper than what we'd pay locally.
bernie

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
bernie

I hear ya Bernie!! Flashaholism is no picnic this side of the ocean....

OldGreyGuy said:
Marry her immediately! :)

That would be a very short marriage... as my girlfriend (who I'm slowly converting to flashaholism*) would most likely kill her. But if anyone else wants to have a go... Here's a hint, she works at one of the biggest outdoor shops in the hague, netherlands :)

* she already has a pink solitaire and has a PT attitude on her nightstand and she immediately took the keychain light Sigman sent me as a bonus when I bought some lights from him...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindspot said:
I remember people I knew filling their luggage with Levis when traveling to certain parts of the world and more than paying for the trip by selling them off abroad. I don't know if this formula still applies, but I just jammed 100 2D mags into a dufflebag and I'm off for Antarctica! :wave:

When we were in Japan, I was shocked what Levis were selling for...commonly $110 and the more torn they became, the more $$. I didn't see Mag lights but that may be worth looking into. :)

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
RA40 said:
When we were in Japan, I was shocked what Levis were selling for...commonly $110 and the more torn they became, the more $$. I didn't see Mag lights but that may be worth looking into. :)

Come to NYc some time - used Levis sell at Ralph Lauren for $300 and up...way up. Some are $600+. Mostly bought by Japanese tourists, BTW. :crackup:

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
mega_lumens said:
The scary thing is converting E.U. currency to the U.S. Never in history did our green dollar fall like that. I hope things will change soon.

Way off topic I know, but it's going to get a lot worse. Do a little research on the current Debt to GDP ratio in the US as well as what happened a few years ago in Argentina to draw comparisons.

For extra credit, look for recent announcments the Federal Reserve has made and recent performance of the US stock markets.

I've been buying a lot of Euros lately :).