What do you use to polish a reflector?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a smudge on the inside of my McR20 reflector that I got from the shoppe. I had some eyeglass cleaner thats' safe for anti-reflective coatings so I sprayed that in there and wiped out with a paper towel. Came out pretty good. But if I hold it just the right way I can see what looks like "smear" all the way around. Its VERY slight. Anyway to polish that back to perfection?

roguesw

Enlightened
sorry KDOG3 unfortunately, u cant polish reflectors, thats why we try not to touch them, once u touch it, it will never come out again
the problem with these reflector is the coating on them are very fragile, they are literarly microns thick and will smudge easily
the way to clean reflectors is to submerge in warm soapy water, let the soap lift the oils (never touch the reflector with anything) then rinse with water
since ur reflector doesnt sound too bad, dont do anything else to it
unfortunatley, the swirl mark u have is from the cloth (micro particles which marks the surface)

rule of thumb, dont ever touch reflectors, i have damaged one because i tried to remove a smudge mark

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've destroyed half a dozen reflectors trying to clean them. Never EVER rub them with anything. Some of them rubbed through to the brass colored undercoat with no effort at all.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The coating is similar to the coating used in cameras.This is called 'front surface mirror'. A mirror is silver coating applied to the back surface of glass, then a protective layer is put on. the mirror stays clear because the glass protects it. the reflector has no such protection, the reflective coating is soft, anything that touches it will scratch it.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila_Power said:
Will, can you get a glass coat over the reflector surface?

I am out of my area here - the reason they use this in cameras is so you do not get any distortion in the light bouncing off the mirror. As light travels through glass it gets changed, also part of it gets absorbed.

To answer your question - I think that you would have to make a glass reflector, then silver coat it. This may be costly to do. also the glass would have to be very thin.

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I ruined my reflector on my HDS thinking that isopropyl alcohol would be safe, I was wrong, there should be asticky about how fragile reflector coatings are

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
The short answer is you can't. Flashlight reflectors are too cheaply made and are too fragile.

High-quality first-surface mirrors, like you find in astronomical telescopes and some telephoto camera lenses, are made by placing a ground and polished glass substrate into a vacuum chamber. Very pure aluminum is vaporized by heating, and it condenses like dew onto the glass in a layer a few microns thick. Aluminum this pure is very soft and is also chemically reactive, so as soon as the coating is deposited, it is immediately protected with a very thin transparent overcoat of quartz. Some of the newer high-efficiency reflectors use more complicated multi-layer overcoats. These mirrors can be cleaned, since the overcoat material is non-reactive and fairly hard. Even so, it takes special materials and great care.

All of the flashlight reflectors I've seen also use evaporated aluminum, but onto molded plastic instead of glass, and there is no protective overcoat. As soon as the aluminum hits the air, it forms a thin protective layer of clear aluminum oxide, but it is extremely fragile. Wiping the surface easily peels the oxide off, mottling the surface. Rubbing the exposed aluminum, even with soft cotton, causes microscopic scratches which appear cloudy to the naked eye. Exposing the surface to even pure distilled water reacts with the aluminum, causing a thicker cloudy-appearing oxide layer to form. Most solvents will attack the plastic substrate and leave residues. Tap water and skin oils contain salts which will etch and stain the aluminum.

All things considered, the only choices are to leave the reflector strictly alone or to replace it. After all, it is a cheap item.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
My optician says that even soft paper tissues have embedded talc which is abrasive. If you MUST touch a reflector, use a lens cleaning spray followed by a gentle wipe with a microfibre cloth.
But I dare say there are reasons for not doing even that!

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
jason9987 said:
I ruined my reflector on my HDS thinking that isopropyl alcohol would be safe, I was wrong, there should be asticky about how fragile reflector coatings are

same here.
>I will never again try to clean a reflector with anything but a soak in soap and water.