Universal battery holder (UBH) -fits Ex, KL1, Arc-LS, etc.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm offering a new mod - one that will be a new body for the SF Ex/KL1 heads. This way you can use your rechargeable batteries to run either one, and save in batteries pretty quickly.

I plan to make it so that the head will screw on normally, and you will be able to use the tailcap from your E1/e or E2/e bodies as normal. The only functional difference is that the batteries will be different.

I'd like $40.00 each, plus $3.00 for shipping. This is for unanodized aluminum, with an option for brass for $5.00 more.

Please email me if you want one, or post here. I will consider an order to be put in the queue if it's paid. Paypal, please.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Doug,

You may need to take a vacation from work to fill your orders!!! :) Great idea of keeping the head and tail stock!

- Don

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm a little concerned about that... I'll try to keep up.
smile.gif

One of the other fellows on the forum wants one like this, so I thought I'd offer it to the rest of the forumites to see if they're interested. The tail threading should not be much more difficult than the head threading, so far as I can tell.

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Hi DSpeck - what a great thing to offer!

Any data on brightness and on run time? Any pics? I am pretty sure I will want one...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I was going to do that same mod once I got a little more practice in on the lathe!

Also was planning a 4AA setup for the E2.

Great minds think alike. (although I don't quite know how I fit into that category)

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't built a prototype yet, so I can't say what the runtime or brightness will be. Another member of the forum has paid for the first one, so he'll have to post about that stuff when he gets it. I don't have a light meter, either, so I can't do scientific tests.

Silviron, you probably fit in with me on the last part of that old saying...the part you DIDN'T quote...
smile.gif
smile.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you make some that run 3 AA`s?

Edit: aw forget this idea...don`t think it`s necassary.

Ken

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could make one to run 3 or 4AA's if you like. You would likely get more runtime, possibly more brightness. It depends on the regulator. You would find it's kind of long, though, and somewhat unwieldy.

Doug.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a lightmeter to do a proper test with it when it arrives, but this may give a me good excuse to pick one up???

Any idea when you will be able to start on mine Doug?? Hopefully you will be getting your box of goodies in the next day or two.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Revolvergeek,

Yes, I was hoping to get the box today. Not so, unfortunately.

I should be able to begin your version this weekend. I have no particular commitments, so I'll be in the shop a lot this weekend, clearing up a bunch of backorders. ...That's the plan, anyway.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on the plans for this holder.

Looks like 3x123's are the same length as 2AA's, so the idea is this: holder will be same length, but larger internal diameter to accomodate 123's. The threads at the head will accomodate E1/e, E2/e, KL1, or Arc-LS. The holder will have an insert tube to reduce the inside diameter to fit the 2AA's neatly. I can throw in a small spacer to lift the batteries to work with the Arc head, if requested. The tailcap is still the one from your own Surefire Ex series (not included in price).

The new thing is that I can make some spacers, for 1AA, 1x123, or 2x123. These will allow the user to use anything from 1AA, 2AA, 1,2 or 3 x 123's. These spacers will be $3.00 each extra, and will be available as the complete kit, or whichever sizes you need. This is pretty close to as universal a power source as we're going to get, in this size range, I think.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem guys, just send me the difference to cover the spacers you want, and I'll include them on your orders. Spacers are $3.00 each, as stated above.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Doug,

what from are your spacers made ?

Just curious as I had been doing some wooden ones lately which I guess should be fitting the one body I thankfully had the opportunity to order from you
grin.gif

Thx

Klaus