K2 Heatsink for Maglite 2D

Crackah

Newly Enlightened
Hello Guys and Gals,

This is my first time posting, but I've enjoyed the information and antics of this forum for several months. I recently purchased a Luxeon K2 "6 & 3/4 watt" Diamond emitter from quality items online for my 3D maglite. I became aware of the heat-related issues of the K2 after I had purchased and installed the emitter into my Mag (no returns after that, as it doesn't 'malfunction'). I want to greatly improve the heat dissipation ability of my maglight without changing its outward appearance. I know mag's are not the best thing availaible, but I like them none-the-less.

What would be a good and relatively cheap (read: under $25) modification to my mag such that I can affix a large heatsink that couples with the (huge) aluminum body of the light? I would like to use the K2 emitter I've already got (since I've already paid for it). I do not care about the stock reflector, I merely want as much throw as possible...focusability is not necessary. I want a light with basically equivalent focus to the tightest available with the stock reflector. I possess basic soldering ability and am technically savvy ;I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I have a very limited toolset and no experience in modding flashlight of any kind. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards...

Last edited:

thezman

Enlightened
HERE

or

HERE

Both may require some tweaking or modification for use with the K2. Or they may not work at all. I have yet to get my K2's to try them.

Last edited: