Superfire 11 watt luxeon now !

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard there is a 100w version planned with output that rivals that of the best x-bin lux-V. of course it is originally designed as a water-boiling device and they stumbled on the fact that you can also put a LED in there...

:nana:

havand

Enlightened
Means the batteries don't automatically shutoff if the voltage output goes too low. Apparently rechargeableli-on batteries (lithium ion) batteries explode if overdischarged...So the protection circuit cuts the light off so that you dont' have to pay attention to when the light dims noticeably....

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
This bs is going to go on & on.

It looks *exactly* like a stock Golston RCR123 light.

here is the bs math:
2x 4.2V RCR123 (fully charged drops quickly under load) X ~1300 mAh (intial draw @ ~3.2 ohm resistor..also drops quickly ) = ~11W

The LED probably gets ~5W and resistor eats the remainder.

:candle:

see my Golston below:

Last edited:

freakflag

Newly Enlightened
Randy Shackleford said:
This bs is going to go on & on.

It looks *exactly* like a stock Golston RCR123 light.

here is the bs math:
2x 4.2V RCR123 (fully charged drops quickly under load) X ~1300 mAh (intial draw @ ~3.2 ohm resistor..also drops quickly ) = ~11W

The LED probably gets ~5W and resistor eats the remainder.

:candle:

AW! Why'd ya go and ruin it?? You're worse than my girlfriend. If she sees me smiling while I'm sleeping, she wakes me up. Can't I even be happy in my dreams?!?! :D

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A visual aide:
11W.jpg

Doesn't look like such a good deal anymore, nevermind the goofy math that gets to "11W."

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I wonder what the letters "USA" engraved on the side are supposed to mean, I guess it is just the icing on the cake of this super find.....:hairpull: :xyxgun: :shakehead

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
havand said:
Means the batteries don't automatically shutoff if the voltage output goes too low. Apparently rechargeableli-on batteries (lithium ion) batteries explode if overdischarged...So the protection circuit cuts the light off so that you dont' have to pay attention to when the light dims noticeably....

Thats is a very wrong statement. Li-ions can burst if there over-charged. Meaning you charge them with an unappropriate charger. You can run a lithium cell down to zero volts....yes it will damage the cell, but it will not blow up.

Mac

Are you guys in 20th century? 11W is weak. Mine is 1500 watt.

13W, 17W, 20W? Why settle for these sub-par junk using fake Luxeon emitters when you can get a one and half kilowatt ten Luxeon light made using REAL Luxeon lamps?

Runtime: Approximately 3.5 hours on ten, 12V 50Ah in series. DC 120V.

Do not block air flow to 1460W resistor module.

With cheap counterfeit, you never know what the wattage means. Unlike those junk, we guarantee that our unit will use and dissipate 5120 BTU/hr 1300kCal/hr into the air. In fact we are so sure our unit will perform to its spec that we recommend a minimum of 7,500 BTU air conditioning capacity for the room to maintain comfortable temperature.

Fan cooling on resistor module recommended to keep it from getting too hot to touch. Here's a prototype. Once there's enough interest, I will actually have the ten Luxeon module made.

Reverse Polarity protection diode included in price (not pictured).

5b4ae0fa.jpg

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFL

When I plug in my 1 Terrawatt LED light and press the tailcap clickie (yeah, requires a 110 outlet so taking it out hiking is a challenge...) I brown out most of the surrounding neighborhood. Now I use an extension cord and plug it into the neighbor's outside outlet as my wife freaked out about last month's power bill.

yves09876

Newly Enlightened
cmacclel said:
Thats is a very wrong statement. Li-ions can burst if there over-charged. Meaning you charge them with an unappropriate charger. You can run a lithium cell down to zero volts....yes it will damage the cell, but it will not blow up.

Mac

Er, there sure is a real danger of explosion if the internal voltage of a Li-ion battery goes down. I Work in a company where we are making several batteries made of 18650's cells. So we needed to know what's going to happen if the batteries are shorten-circuit, overcharged, overdeischarged, penetrated by a metall nail etc... I can ASSURE you that the results are NOT NICE (though youre wanting to create 4th july gadgets... figure it out). 18650's being overcharged either throw out flames or gazes. 18650's EXPLODE LIKE A GRENADE WHEN THEY ARE OVERDISCHARGED !!! The reason is, metallic Lithium is created on the anode (or the cathode, sorry I'm not the chemist). The result is a chemical interaction between the metallic Lithium and the electrolyte, :poof: ! Even if that may not happen anytime, the risk is here. The worst case is when a discharged battery is drained out by another cell, you can find this situation when you use in series charged and discharged cells, the current continues to flow through the discharged cell and it even worse than a cell that "only" has been overdischarged.

Here you have a link, and there a certainly many others that speak about it :

http://www.edn.com/archives/1996/120596/25df_04.htm

They write :
"To overcome the problems associated with lithium metal in batteries, researchers experimented with the use of intercalation materials for both the anode and cathode, producing a component known as the lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery. Lithium metal is not present; instead, positively charged lithium ions travel from cathode to anode during charge and from anode back to cathode during discharge. This back-and-forth ion flow during the charge and discharge cycles has led to the expressions "swing" and "rocking-chair" batteries."

Best regards, Yves

havand

Enlightened
Ok, what I said was not complete. Not necessarily wrong. I can think of one post of the top of my head where someone said their pelican light blew up after a few minutes of use.