Fenix pocketclip v.2!

carrot

Flashaholic
I made myself a Fenix pocketclip with some pliers and 16-gauge wire. It's not terribly secure, but it fits and doesn't seem like it is likely to come off by accident either. It's tight and fairly springy. Great for pockets, not so for belts. I also managed to scrape the finish of the Fenix in the process.

I'd definitely recommend this if you're looking for a simple pocketclip so that your Fenix doesn't fall to the bottom of your pockets. You might scratch the finish, as I did, though.

I do not intend on selling these!

In this picture, you can see my two Gerber multi-pliers and wirecutters. And the Fenix with the "finished" pocketclip.

------------------------

Version 2

Using one of those metal rings used on tubing you tighten with a screw, I improved the design.. It is now very secure.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix pocketclip

in for two if you put this into production :D

chanamasala

Enlightened

1 request for a picture of the cap top and how the wire attaches up there.

carrot

Flashaholic

PoliceScannerMan said:
Very nice Orange one. What kind of AA battery is that in the background?
That'd be a Kirkland Signature AA, only available at Costco at about $11 for 40.

carrot

Flashaholic

The clip is pretty much attached by friction and the tension of the wire opposing forces that might remove it.

Here's a picture of the top, as requested. I was going to do something more complicated, like bend the wire into a hook, but I couldn't do that without removing the rubber button and I got lazy.

Here's another picture, showing the shape that I bent the wire into from the side. I apologize for the poor image quality... my little snapshot camera is really not made for macros.

There are a number of reasons why I'm not offering them for sale. First, it's exceptionally easy to make, so I'd feel that any price that would make it worthwhile for me to mail them out would also be a gyp to buyers... and secondly, they'd all come out really ugly because my pliers bite little grooves into the wire. And of course, they're likely to cause some cosmetic damage to your light if you're not careful.

I just used some 16-gauge galvanized steel wire I had laying around.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice job. I attached my 1LP to a keyring. I used a thick wire. it's not pretty but it works.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe a clip like the one the Vitalgear uses, with 2 little screws to attach it to the existing holes of the tailcap of the fenix. Should be very easy to make for the manufacturer or someone with the tools.

Nice work!

AlexGT

carrot

Flashaholic

I walked around for a bit with the clip this morning and have to say it's surprisingly secure. I wouldn't hang it off my belt, but because of the hook-shaped bend in the wire where it attaches to the light, the ends of the wire cannot pull out. I think I'll be leaving this in, and perhaps even re-add the dual-stage mod to my Fenix.

AlexGT said:
Maybe a clip like the one the Vitalgear uses, with 2 little screws to attach it to the existing holes of the tailcap of the fenix. Should be very easy to make for the manufacturer or someone with the tools.

Nice work!

AlexGT
This is exactly what I've been hoping somebody would make for the Fenix. I wouldn't mind having to damage the finish inside the lanyard holes for a better clip.

KnOeFz

Enlightened

Very nice!
On the pictures it looks really perfect!
Too bad you have some dents from your pliers.

:goodjob:

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened

Nice job on the clip. However, you'd think someone out there already has a clip being used on a marker pen or whatever, that would fit the light... just a matter of finding one that works...?

carrot

Flashaholic
Version 2

Using one of those metal rings used on tubing you tighten with a screw, I improved the design.. It is now very secure.

Marlite

Enlightened
Carrot

Very creative. Could the top end be secured with a band of shrink tubing for improving looks and bulk? Then it could be mouth held safely too?

Marlite

carrot

Flashaholic
Marlite said:
Carrot

Very creative. Could the top end be secured with a band of shrink tubing for improving looks and bulk? Then it could be mouth held safely too?

Marlite
I suppose you could, but I doubt it would be as strong or sturdy. It is worth a try... please tell me how it works out if you give it a shot.
At that point I'd be tempted to epoxy the wire on, and into the lanyard holes (the ends of the wire go into the lanyard holes but stop short of touching the switch). However, epoxy might not be the best idea since steel wire is pretty ductile and is easily bent out of shape if overexerted.

As it stands, the clip is very secure for my pocket and kept my Fenix firmly attached to the inside of my pocket during an entire game of paintball.

I'm also experimenting with using varnish or clear nail polish to coat the wire to eliminate the metallic smell/taste of the clip. The varnish seems to make the wire a little stiffer too so far.

hurld

Newly Enlightened
The clip from a Gerber Infinity Ultra fits the L1T very well, give me some time and I'll post Pics.

nima

Newly Enlightened
I just use a mini mag clip. Works fine, but I don't really like having the mag logo on my Fenix.