Could I take the Lux V out of my L5 and replace it with a LuxIII?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why I would do something so crazy - My L5 has a great tint a tight hotspot with no donut hole. But I'm thinking that a top of the line LuxIII like a UX0K would give pretty much the same ouput but with much better runtime. The large reflector would give a killer hotpot. Of course the driver would have to support it. Anyone know if this could be done?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would need to swap the driver for a buck regulator, like a Downboy from dat2zip.

The KL5 is designed to power a Lux V from 6V, so it has a boost regulator in stock form. Simply wiring in a Lux III into a KL5 will fry the LED, unless you used a battery spacer.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would just put in a k2.... from what i hear it is just like a lux3 but it can run at higher currents, and it is more efficient.

-David

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
i would just put in a k2.... from what i hear it is just like a lux3 but it can run at higher currents, and it is more efficient.

-David

:drool:..When will we be able to buy K2's mounted on stars ??

so far all I've seen is just the emitter itself .

:candle:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter is all I need. I'd LOVE to get a hold of one of these new Cree emitters that can pump out 131 lumens per what. Run that baby at 2.5 watts yeah...

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that a fella put a LuxIII in a U2 and it works, but it lost the top 2 brightest levels.

You could buy a cheap crappy binned LuxIII and try it.

Wait, dont you have a few emitters around from recent LED changes?

roguesw

Enlightened
IIRC, i had read about mcgizmo trying to open up the head on the L5 and it was a rea PITA to open up and do anytype of mod on it,
on the other had, the L6 head was like the U2, unscrew bezel and you have access to the emitter
i am trying to find this thread, its old but i have no luck with the search function

with the Lux III, you will have to shim it to be closer to the focal point of the Lux V, generally, with the McR27 reflector, for a Lux III it sits at the base, but with a Lux V, you have to increase the height of the reflector to properly focus the wider die area.

but right now you have to find out what type of circuit is in your L5, as there has been revisions and some are buck, some are boost and some are buck/boost.
the easies thing is if you can put in a downboy

on the note of throw or overall light, if you stick a Lux III in there, you would get a hotspot but not much sidespill, the larger die area of the Lux V gives it so much more light, you wouldnt be getting the same type of light from a Lux III than a Lux V

comparing a Lux III on a McR27 and a Lux V on a McR27, its a ball of light (Lux III) vs a wall of light (Lux V)

but however, as with many things, YMMV,
in the spirit of CPF, lets do this mod and see what we can achieve :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken my L5 head apart just fine. The collar on it ( I have the new style ) unscrewed by hand. Then you unscrew 4 small screws and the whole thing falls apart.

I don't know if its going backwards, really. Some of these new LuxIIIs' are pretty doggone white and bright....

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
watch out for the reflector, i hear it is very brittle, so dont touch it.... if you want throw, the k2 is the way to go, that way you wont have to change the circuitry.... i am not sure though.

-David

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
um... he is going FORWARD.

luxeon I came out then luxeon V then after them comes luxeon III

luxeon V was a prototype gone real.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
watch out for the reflector, i hear it is very brittle, so dont touch it.... if you want throw, the k2 is the way to go, that way you wont have to change the circuitry.... i am not sure though.

-David

Too late. I already tried to use a q-tip to get dust from the inside of the lens and bumped the reflector. Then I tried to wipe that smear off. Made it worse - sort of. I learned that if used a "buffing" action on the reflector it sort of spread out the smear so its not bad right now. In fact you can't tell at all when the light is off, and can only see it when the lights on. The good news is that it made *zero* difference in the beam.

Illum

Flashaholic
newb at modding but

Isnt there a way to just... say add a resistor to the regulation unit and somehow drive the Lux V @ the rate of a Lux III?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont see a problem with simply replacing the Lux V itself. The KL5 can be used on a C3 body because it uses a buck/boost driver. If that is true, then a Lux III should be fine with the stock KL5 driver.