StreamLight Luxeon Jr. vs Fenix 3w

clipse

Enlightened
etc said:
How do they two 2AA compare?

I have the Fenix L1T and the SL Jr. Lux. I use the L1T the most. Its brighter and has a lower setting. Truthfully, I hardly ever use the SL Jr. anymore.

clipse

maverick215

Newly Enlightened
etc said:
i mean the one with 2AA.

What do you mean by 'lower setting'?
The only 3w fenix that takes 2AA is the L2T
the L2T has two settings. High and low.
high is reportedly 55 lumens
low is 10.

Illum

Flashaholic
I cant talk about it simply because I dont own a fenix....but according to the stat numbers in the initial output:

Im not sure which 3W fenix your talking about.

Source: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.htm

Streamlight Jr Luxeon [2AA]
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_jr_luxeon.htm
Runtime: 3 hours to 50%
Throw: 385
Output: 1500
Weight: 4 oz
Case: HA-II [same as a minimag]
Module: Luxeon I

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1t-l2t.htm
Fenix L1T [1 L]
Runtime: 1:30 to 50%
Throw: 190 low 565 high
Output: 600 low 1900 high
Weight:2.4 oz
Case: HA-III
Module: Luxeon III

Fenix L2T [2 L]
Runtime: 1:20 to 50%
Throw: 365 low 1000 high
Output: 1080 low 3150 high
Weight:3.5 oz

Fenix P1 [1 L]
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1.htm
Runtime: 1:50 to 50%
Throw: 950
Output: 2800
Weight: 1.5 oz

Im sure by now the answer is pretty obvious, but since I dont own a fenix and don;t use my SL jr, it doesnt matter to me.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2T Fenix is the one I am talking about.

It seems to have nice feature of dual setting. I find that my StreamLight Jr. lasts about 1 hour-1.5 hours. It's bright enough for me but will chew through batteries fast.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for something that will go a long time on a set of batteries, then consider one of the Mag 3W LED lights or putting the upgrade module into one of the C or D cell bodies. If you want to stay with AA batteries, then go with the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon, the runtime with that light is about 4.5 hours with alkaline AAs and maybe an hour longer with NiMH batteries. If you're interested in one of the Chinese lights, the Fenix L2P might be worth considering.

etc said:
L2T Fenix is the one I am talking about.

It seems to have nice feature of dual setting. I find that my StreamLight Jr. lasts about 1 hour-1.5 hours. It's bright enough for me but will chew through batteries fast.

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen the new version of the SL Luxeon Jr. but I have the first generation one and it sucks. If you can afford it, stick with the Fenix.

Illum

Flashaholic
I have the second generation...its slightly dimmer and double the runtime

the gen 1 had problems with bulb overdrive caused failures and Streamlight fixed that...I dont think there are any gen 1s around...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
> have the first generation one and it sucks

StreamLight Jr. Luxeon:

I had the 1st gen for a year and was really upset when I lost it. Then I fugured someone got lucky when found it. Then I got another 1st gen off ebay. I also like it. Why do you think it sucks?

Anyway, I looked at different lights and decided to stick with AA, D maybe even C.... don't care for these 3V batteries.

So, Fenix L2T - let me get this straight: It's brighter *and* runs longer than the STreamLight Jr.??

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the runtime comparison. But I think the 1st generation SL Luxeon Jr. is way too dim (lousy tint as well) for the money. The Fenix L2 or even the L1 is brighter and whiter with good hotspot and good size spill. The only advantage the SL have is the momentary feature of the kroll. The Fenix light and the pouch looks better (just my opinion) too.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
With SL Jr. I don't have a problem with brightness but the run time could be better.
It's especially bright with these digital camera expensive batteries (whatever they are)

this is 1st gen.

dim

Enlightened
I recently did a ceiling bounce test in tight quarters of a SL Jr. Lux (v1) from the remaining functional parts of these Juniors on fresh alkalines and an Inova X5 (CS) on used CR123s. Although their beams and output share some similarities, 25-30 lumens and semi-flood/broad spot pattern, the X5 was perceptively brighter with a larger and smoother beam. While I was reminded of why I originally liked the Junior, again, output and a pattern broad enough for task work and still out throw the X5, it's clear to me that the X5 is the better designed, made and executed flashlight.

Another flashlight in this output and price class is the Gerber LX3.0. In a separate ceiling bounce test, on fresh alkies, the LX3 was brighter than the X5 on new CR123s and was about as bright as my XO3 on near fresh CR123s. With it's tighter spot, the LX3 out throws the Junior but still floods an area well with its secondary spot and bright spill. The 3xAA LX3 is also bigger and heavier than the Junior.

dim

Illum

Flashaholic
dim said:
I recently did a ceiling bounce test in tight quarters of a SL Jr. Lux (v1) from the remaining functional parts of these Juniors on fresh alkalines and an Inova X5 (CS) on used CR123s. Although their beams and output share some similarities, 25-30 lumens and semi-flood/broad spot pattern, the X5 was perceptively brighter with a larger and smoother beam. While I was reminded of why I originally liked the Junior, again, output and a pattern broad enough for task work and still out throw the X5, it's clear to me that the X5 is the better designed, made and executed flashlight.

Another flashlight in this output and price class is the Gerber LX3.0. In a separate ceiling bounce test, on fresh alkies, the LX3 was brighter than the X5 on new CR123s and was about as bright as my XO3 on near fresh CR123s. With it's tighter spot, the LX3 out throws the Junior but still floods an area well with its secondary spot and bright spill. The 3xAA LX3 is also bigger and heavier than the Junior.

dim

Beamshots!!!

I think any 1 watt light can outshine and out throw the jr Luxeon...its built too much ontop of the minimag design and since it requires a step up curcuit to boost the alkalines from 3V up to 3.6V to drive the emitter...most Luxeon lights try to use lithium batteries 6V configuration platform to increase the efficiency with added input voltage to minimize driver loss.

Good light none the less...finally got my minimag off my belt
:lolsign: