Stinger and Strion: Same Charger?

CDPMan

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of buying a Strion for duty belt carry. I already have a Stinger and I was wondering if I could use the Stinger charger so I can order a Strion without a charger and save some dough.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I wonder if there is a technical reason for this or if it is purely so Streamlight can sell more accessories... Doesn't really change the result I suppose - but the Strion chargers are pretty expensive relative to the cost of the light by itself...

I'm waiting on delivery of a Strion - I'll let you know what I think when it arrives!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are also dealing with different battery chemistries. The Stinger is Nicad and the Strion is Lithium Ion. This also makes the charger technology different.

Mark

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it has something to do with the smaller size of the Strion where it won't fit into the cradle of a Stinger? Additionally, as mentioned, the charger has to be made to accommodate the LIon chemistry of the Strion battery.

Gatsby said:
I wonder if there is a technical reason for this or if it is purely so Streamlight can sell more accessories...

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
w4.jpg

Strion charger contacts.

w3.jpg

Strion, top. SF 6P bottom.

cheers

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, if the circuitry isn't built into the battery, it needs to be built into the charger.

Additionaly due to the size difference between the two lights, the Strion would all but slip through the Stinger cradle.

Gatsby said:
Well the different chemistries certainly provides a solid reason for the incompatible chargers! :ohgeez:

VWTim

Enlightened
One nice thing is Streamlight uses the same wallwort and car plugs that plug into the cradles for each light. I bought my Strion with a DC only charger, and scored a Streamlight wallwart from my dad's old dead Stinger.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is correct. For about the last 20 years or so, Streamlight has charging cradles for each of their families of light products. But every one of them operates off of the same DC or AC cord. And pre-86 products that might still be in use (e.g. original SL-20s) use the same AC adapter; the only difference is that the cord is hardwired to the cradle.

VWTim said:
One nice thing is Streamlight uses the same wallwort and car plugs that plug into the cradles for each light. I bought my Strion with a DC only charger, and scored a Streamlight wallwart from my dad's old dead Stinger.