best running 1 cell flood

marxs

Enlightened
any thoughts on a good running (very LONG runtime) flood that uses only 1 cell? i've been looking around for a nice small floody light thats quite edc'able. nothing too long as i want to keep it small. ive read and seen that the L4 is what i want, but is there anything like that running on just 1 cell?

like always i'll appreciate any thoughts from fellow cpf'ers

marxs

Enlightened
whats the runtime on a TW4 setup? number 1 priority is runtime for me...

EDIT: holy crap! 140 hours on low mode!?!?! now thats what im talking about, but how low is the low mode? im hopings its not too dim...somewhere around 10-20 lumens is fine with me

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the L4 today form OpticsHQ to take the KL4 and add it to my E1L body witht he RCR123A.... Can wait to try it

I would like a McGizmo 2 stage tail cap but... not sure where they are nowa days..

Does anyone know where I could fine the two stage cap for the L4?

Mmany Thanks!

KAM said:
KL4 head on E1L body with Li-ion but short runtime
Peak McKinley
CR2 Ion

marxs

Enlightened
i just realized that the cr2 goes for a whopping $155 at fenix-store :ohgeez:talk about small but terrible ouch! ok so 140 hours isnt what i really need, somewhere along 3-5 good hours of regulated light...like a good backup should be. I have been thinking of the tw4 for some time but if it can only last 25 minutes on regulation then its definately out of my list.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello marxs:)

I would vote for the Fenix L1P (2-stage) or L1T with a beamshaper(0,-$ made of a white plastic-bottle-cap).

On "Low" they will run the whole night and are great lights for the money.

Best regards

____
Tom

SCblur

Enlightened
What are your brightness needs? Because if you don't need it really bright, but want long runtime, alkalines might be your best bet. I have an Inova X1. Very small, not a scorcher by any means, but will put out light for well over 15 hrs. off of a single AA. it's only $20 too.

marxs

Enlightened
im not loooking for a scorcher, something around the 10-20 lumen (guesstimate)is fine with me. my main concern is size (must use only 1 cell), runtime (must have a good long runtime) and it must be FLOOD, the floodier the better, ala "mini-wall of light."

SCblur: how does the flood of the x1 compare to the x5? i noticed the x5 has quite a good flood beam.

aceo07

Enlightened
The Fenix E1 can go into candle mode if you twist off the reflector portion of the head. All flood..

europium

Enlightened
carrot said:
CR2 Ion. Runs forever on 'low' and for 1 hour on high. Fits on your keychain.

http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=34

There aren't that many lights like this.
I second this suggestion, but I do believe the price is too high.

The runtime on low that I got was somewhere between 34 hours and 44 hours. It was still going strong (in regulation) at the 34 hour mark on a brand new Energizer CR2. I didn't get to check it again until the 44 hour mark at which point the LED inside was still lit but it was not putting any light at all out the front.

The high setting puts out, to my eyes, about 15 to 20 lumens and my informal runtime on a new Energizer CR2 was 68 minutes in full regulation followed by dimming over the next 10 minutes before the output was no longer usable. I let the battery rest for 24 hours and then turned the light on low and got 25 minutes of regulated low output before dimming over the next 10 minutes to practically nothing.

The beam is very smooth and floody and ... useful! I almost never need to use the high setting. The light sits on my keychain and, although it is very small, it is easy to use due to the aggressive knurling.

If you are patient, you can probably pick up a mint condition used CR2-Ion for a decent price, like this one (which looks like it just sold):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128812

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
I just bought the L4 today form OpticsHQ to take the KL4 and add it to my E1L body witht he RCR123A.... Can wait to try it

I would like a McGizmo 2 stage tail cap but... not sure where they are nowa days..

Does anyone know where I could fine the two stage cap for the L4?

Mmany Thanks!

Manzerick,

You can mod the tail yourself so that the clickie selects the level, and you'd twist the tail (or head) for on/off. Just disassemble the switch and solder a 10-20 ohm resistor between the spring base and the switched side of the switch' terminals.

Or keep an eye on B/S/T for complete Aleph tailcaps. The Shoppe carrys them new, but currently in very limited styles and finishes.

bwm

Newly Enlightened
There are two other options I have not seen mentioned.

1. An arc AAA modified by Millermods without the parabolic cut. This results in a light with a bright 30 degree wide hotspot with a bright spill which extends the illuminated area to 110 degrees. In use I find I can readily identify objects in the spill zone but if there is writing on the object I need the hotspot brightness to make the text readable.

2. HDS EDC with an SF04 beamshaper. This light has multiple brightness levels and long regulated runtime at the lower lumen levels.