surefire L2 vs fenix P1

mafeya

Newly Enlightened
hey guys...im gonna get an L2 soon so I was wondering if it is much much brighter than the P1 (please tell me it is...dont wanna regret my purchase)?

based on the ledmuseum reviews...both have around the same 700k-ish MCD. So?

Thanks.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Remember, just because a light is more expensive, doesnt always mean its going to be brighter. I can tell you this, your L2 can handle alot more abuse than the fenix. I have a L2, but no P1, so I cant answer your original question.

Dont expect alot of throw, do expect a wall of flood. I find the L2 alot more useful than most lights because of this. You'll be happy with it, it may have to grow on you though....

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course it is brighter. IT IS MORE of a flood ight then spot. you get a wall of light 110+ lumens versus 40-60 lumen SPOT.

and when the quality is compared... surefire wins it like a roll royce and a getto homemade car.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. The L2 puts out more light, but it is a flood. It will light up a bigger area. The P1 put out less light, however it is concentrated in a tighter beam.

From Flashlightreviews:
L2 Throw 27.93
P1 Throw 30.82 (a bit more light out at distance)

L2 Output 72.0 (more light leaving the bezel)
P1 Output 28.0
I can see the hot spot of the P1 in the flood of the L2. I'll post a beam shot later today.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Its a bit like comparing chalk and cheese.
Apart from them both being led lights there are really no other similarities.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Pretty much what the others here commented on regarding the SureFire L2 LumaMax. I have one and have not regretted purchasing it. There's also the rechargeable battery option that you can purchase from CPF member AW in the Dealer's Corner.

Enjoy!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't seem to get the pictures up.
The L2 is built like a tank, it just doesn't have the throw.
I've used it here out in the desert (Tucson) and it sure lights up the night all around you, but if you like the tight little spot of the P1, you may not like the L2.
My L2 has been my EDC since Surefire started making them. Before that, is was an A2.
If you are looking for an LED with good throw, try an L6. They are bigger and bulkier though.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
The two lights are really quite different. I EDC an A2 and an L2 for its flood beam - just an even wall of light. The L2 is just so useful, read compliments the A2, to light up larger areas that it is worth it to me to carry both.

The L2 will be 'brighter' when you look at it for its flood beam, compared to the P1. The P1 and L2 compliment each very well, you will not be disappointed in having both, in fact I am debating replacing my Dorcy Super 1W ( backup EDC ) with a P1 for 'general' EDC.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see if this works...

The contendors are (drum roll please):touche:
L2P1Stand.jpg

Show us your faces!
L2P1Face.jpg

Let the games begin!

L2 on left (High Beam) P1 on right
Please take 1 step from the wall (1 yard)
Ready...
Aim...
Fire!
LP1.jpg

Let's see this again with our "shades" on...

LP2.jpg

My L2 looks GREEN?!!!:huh2: I didn't win the Lux Lottery there. :awman:

Now, from 3 yards!

LP3.jpg

And last but not least, we see the sperm (P1) enter the egg (L2). The swimmer is on the right.
LP4.jpg

As we can see, the L2 is putting out a lot more light, but the P1 has a bit more throw.

So the winner is...
Both. Two very different lights. Get both. I did!:naughty: :drool:

mafeya

Newly Enlightened
hey...thanks for the superb pictures...cant wait to get my l2. hopefully it has better tint. also, the green tint on yours isn't noticable when in use i guess...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't notice so much when using it. But when I line it up with some of my others...like my BRAND SPANKIN' NEW EDC U60 GT... the L2 gets a bit "Green" with envy.:green:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
waterboiler said:
The two lights are really quite different. I EDC an A2 and an L2 for its flood beam - just an even wall of light. The L2 is just so useful, read compliments the A2, to light up larger areas that it is worth it to me to carry both. ...
I agree with Waterboiler.

The L2 is really bright and having that bright flood beam has a usefulness that is different than the "standard" beams. This type of floody light should be in everyone's bag of tricks.

I think you made a great purchase and yes it is really bright!

EV_007

Enlightened
L2 is the light I notice myself using the most often. High and low "beam" with a floody output powered by rechargeable battery is a sure winner. Only thing I can pick on is its extra length.

hector

Newly Enlightened
I have both and like both, but the L2 is greenish, although not noticeable with use. The P1 works more like a focused flashlight and to me that seems more useful. It also is a nice size for a "mouth light" and can stand on end. I end up using it more than the L2.

the_t0ny

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting the L2 and using it for walks at night,when I go camping/outdoor activities and just for tasks around the house at night(take trash out,looking for something around my backyard), will it provide enough light for those activities? Do you guys think the P1 would be a better choice for me, i doubt I would be using the 100 Lumens on the L2 other then to mess around with my friends. This would also be my first LED light from Surefire.

Also, could somebody send me the link to the Fenix website?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.fenixstore.com (Edit: Great people there! I only have good things to say about them... unlike FedEx)

L2 will light up your backyard. P1 will light up a corner of your backyard.

For outdoor use, I personally like the L2. You can use the low beam for walking around, but when something goes bump in the night, you can light up the whole area!

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
007, IMHO the L2 can't be beat for using around camp, etc; the low beam is plenty light for walking at nite and you have such a longgg runtime on low. I use the low probably 80% to 20% on high.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I love my L2 in 'open' country walks but find it to have too much reflection in denser bush - too much flood to get reflected back at you. In denser woods/trails the P1 would be a good choice, actually I really like the A2 beam for wooded areas. In open areas or wide trails the flood from the L2 can not be beat.

The only problem with the L2 or A2 on high is you can kiss any bits of your night vision goodbye. The A2 on low is a bit better but nothing like a red filter/LED. I just wish I could find a red light that has decent throw - oh well I guess there are always trade-offs.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nobody's mentioned the fact that the L2 is a LuxV light, the P1 is a LuxIII - thus determining the different total output, and beam patterns.