(newbie) Flashlight recc. for my situation?

mmace1

Enlightened
So I'd like a flashlight to keep in my glovebox for general use, and to use when I go running @ night (out in the country while I'm @ my mum's for summer break from college). I just starting researching tonight/found this site/found flashlightreviews.com (& this is all on my mum's slow dialup), so please excuse my ignorance!

Any way...

I'd like it to be LED

Anything w/ D-cells is too big
A slim AA (think maglite) is OK, but a little small for my grip
Large AA flashlight is fine, a C may be OK...but sounds a bit big.

Prefer narrower beam to wider

Prefer cheap (like under $30, unless I'm really missing out by not doing $40, etc.)

Brighter the better of course, but not critical. My old cheap Brinkman led flashlight from years ago was I guess bright enough, though brighter would be very appreciated.

Having a good color balance doesn't really matter to me.

Prefer decent battery life, I Liked how my old Brinkman could go for literally days straight. But if the new one only does 4 hours (in exchange for brightness) that'd be acceptable.

I picked up a 3-watt 2AA LED maglite & 1-watt 3AA Dorcy luxen flashlights @ Wal*Mart for testing. I like both...maglite is a little thin for my hands, Dorcy's shape is great. Both are brighter than necessary, although again, the brighter the better of course (all else constant)

So far I'm considering...

Inova Radium 2AA
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_radiant_aa.htm

Costco Luxeon SAA
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/costco_luxeon2aa.htm

Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Any comments/suggestions? Thanks!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the SL ProPoly. Even if you put a lanyard on it (which you should do), if you go jogging with it, you are going to drop it. The SL PP is about as durable as you'll get. Plus it's got the narrow beam you like, and if you feed it with NiMHs you can get well over 4 hours of runtime.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello mmace1 and welcome at CPF:)

Like the other fellows stated, go with the SL PP. You can't go wrong with it.

Best regards

____
Tom

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF. I have to agree with the others recommendations. When I was first reading your post I thought of the Civictor but since you said that a Mag was too thin in your hands, I reconsidered suggesting it. Just be careful you don't get bit by the flashaholic bug. Spend enough time around here and you'll soon know what I mean.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Man, I run sometimes at night and for me, the smaller the better. I've got the SL ProPoly Lux AA and it's a great light, but I wouldn't want to "run" with it (granted I normally go 5-6 miles). It's thick and uncomfortable while doing heavy exercise (at least for me). Have you tried running with a big light? The 1xAA Fenix L1P is a great option with the lanyard so it won't hit the ground if it slips, but it's thinner and lighter which you apparently don't want. I've used it, as well as my MM modified version of it. But my #1 running light is my FF3 with lanyard. Multiple levels, small and wicked bright when need be (big $ though).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might also want to consider getting a headlamp. The only one I'm really familiar with is the River Rock 2AAA from Target for $15. It has two brightness levels and is light weight. It should be bright enough to at least keep you from stepping in a hole. And, it would make a good trouble light for the car. If you don't want to look "dorky" with a headlamp, you can always carry it like any other light.

Geoff

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova Radiant AA would be your best bet for running. It's fairly small and light and has a 6 hour runtime. The rubber covering and octagonal shape give it a great grip. It should be more than enough light for your needs.

Have you considered a Luxeon based headlight?

carrot

Flashaholic
I would say the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon recommendation is on the money. It's not TOO thick, has long runtimes, and is solidly built. Fox-intl.com has the best price on them.

You could go for a Fenix light, but they are only a little thicker than a Minimag AA so it may not be optimal for you. I would recommend you consider the L2P, which is a favorite on the Zombierunner forums for its long 4-hour runtime on NiMH rechargeable batteries and its bright output. They come with a wrist lanyard too. It's $39 shipped from Fenix-Store.com and solidly built.

You most likely won't be able to get a Costco Luxeon light. I've been looking in various Costcos and haven't turned up a single one.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the SL PP Lux AA

Check out the SL PP Lux 3C, too. Sometimes I go running with my SL PP Lux AA; 5+ miles usually. If the size or bulk bothers you while running, carry something that weighs the same in your other hand for balance.

(Being a newbie, you might not have picked up on it, but every single experienced CPF'er immediately had their eyes get big and a lightbulb go on over their head when they read that last sentence. What a perfect excuse to buy another light!)

Welcome to CPF! :buddies:

Chris201W

Enlightened
I also think the SL propolymer would work well for this application. Since weight matters, I recommend loading it up with lithium AAs. You'll get a longer runtime, and it will cut down on weight a little bit.

mmace1

Enlightened
OK, thanks for the help!

I think I'll get the Streamlight ProPolymer as a gift now (odd gift, but I think I can sell its attributes!) And may go for it for my situation as well.

Or, maybe just be cheap/lazy, and get the Nova one @ Target for myself! Anyone know how it would compare to the 2aa maglite LED? Brightness/battery life, etc.?

Thanks again.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA Inova Radiant, being a 1W LED instead of the 3W LED in the Minimag, will probably be dimmer even though the Minimag is apparently underdriven quite a bit. I don't know if the "results" are in just yet on the performance of the Minimag, at least in terms of output, runtime, etc. Just some quick comparisons so far to similar lights like the Fenix L2T or incan Minimags with 3rd party LED drop-ins.

If I were you I'd stick with plastic/rubberized lights like the SL PP or the Radiant for jogging, as dropping something like a Fenix L2T is likely to bang it up a lot, crack the lens, etc, while those other ones will just "bounce back".

mmace1

Enlightened
OK, thanks. Just for everyone's information (not like I have any credibility, but why not). I tried the iNova, it is brighter than the Dorcy, and seems to be very close to the 3-watt maglite in terms of output, perhaps slightly dimmer, if at all. However, I like the spread of the beam more on the iNova (its better for me than any beam I can produce through the adjustor on the maglite).

Also, the iNova seems more solidly built than the maglite. But maybe its just me, but I've never really thought maglite's felt all that solidly built, heavy body's yes, but somehow not all that "solid", like something internal could easily break if they were dropped. But it may just be me...

Can't wait to get the Streamlight Propolymer as a gift...really want to test that one out...

mmace1

Enlightened
OK, just wanted to say thanks! You guys have a convert. I ended up ordering a black SL PP 3C as a gift, one black -SL PP 4aa for myself, and convinced friend to buy a black SL PP 4aa with me so we could save on shipping!

And now that I see flashlightreviews.com reviews of the LED maglite, Dorcy, and Inova Radiant side-by-side, i see I may have been mistaken...oh well, side-by-side comparision inside my car in the Wal*Mart parking lot u know...

I am starting to get the flashlight bug now...now I kinda want the Inova T2 as well for a smaller, carry everywhere flashlight w/ good battery life. That and I think it's pretty. I'll have to wait until I have a better idea of the SL PP 4aa size though..

And the Liteflux LF1 looks neat...as does the Jetbeam JET-1...crap, I think I'll do really, really well if I get out with under $100 in "investments"