my 16 yr old dog refuses to eat or drink

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
she must've suffered a stroke over the easter vacation, but she was able to hobble. she's now blind and cannot walk anymore. only recently she has refused to eat or drink any water. i think our chihuahah wants to move on. we dont want to put her to sleep. any suggestions to try and get her to accept some food. we feed her science diet canned food. she ate some yesterday(sunday) but wont eat anything today. she licked the water a little. she still defecates. my girlfriend has to hold her while i give her some water. she cat stand on her own anymore.

skillet

Enlightened
Same thing happened with our beloved pet last year(same symptons anyway).. I'm afraid the end is near. Had to have "maplenut" put down. She just got worse over about 4 days. The last day her eyes glazed over and she couldn't see or hear us...

I feel for ya.. Our vet said there was nothing he could do.

Sympathy for ya..

Gordon

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take her to the vet, most have emergency holiday numbers. I know you do not wish to have her put down, but, for her sake, do what is best for her, not for you. Perhaps there is something the vet can do, one never knows, at least you will know you tried everything you could, when she dies.

I feel for you, I know how hard it is to watch a family member like this, and yes pets become family. Do what you can for her.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's troubles. I have a friend who had a very old dog in similar condition a few years ago. I turned her on to a vet who beleives in pet ownwers who are very hands-on. He gave her steroids, hypos and taught her when and how to use them. Amazingly, the dog had a pretty good life for another two years because of her super-human devotion and efforts. I could never have done it.

It is also hard to find the right vet. So many will just take advantage of the pet owner in those situations.

Sub

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely take her to the Vet ASAP. It would be cruel to her to make her suffer if her time has come.

I wish you strength through this difficult time.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your baby is trying to tell you something and if you have had her since she was a pup, you are truly blessed. I know how difficult it can be to lose a member of your family, my prayers are with you.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please let us know what the vet said. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
We are nearing the end with our 16 year old yellow Lab, Kashmir. She's been a wonderful friend. Lately she's been slowing down dramatically. Her arthritis has worsened to the point she can barely walk and can no longer climb the stairs. She's also nearly blind and deaf and her mental faculties are suspect. We pay a fortune in vet bills and medications too. Both of our vets agree that the time is likely here as she's not enjoying life anymore, and is in a lot of constant, chronic pain. It will be harder on the kids (6 and 3) but I think the inevitable is coming in the next week or so. I don't like the idea of keeping her alive if she is suffering so.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you all for your comfort and support. i was not able to locate a vet on labor day, so i took her to a friend's house who has sevveral pets; ducks, ginea pigs, and 2 dogs. he said she does not appear to be in pain, thoughh she was not able to open her mouth. we tried to feed and drop l'iquids down her throat. well, she just wouldnt open her mouth. we took her home, stayed with her all nite till morning. we went to work, our first days with students since the last school year. we said goodbye to the dog, when we returned she had passed away. it was like she waited for us to go to work and when she heard the door closed she went. at least we had the whole summer with her 24/7. i did have her since she was a pup. we burried her that day. but i truly miss her. i've been looking for any pictures of her. it's really tough to lose a pet you've had for 16 years. you think they can live forever.
thanks again for thhe prayers and comfort, and chronos it's going to be tough when you wont be seeing kashmir anymore. take as many pictures as you can of your dog NOW!

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now she's running, playing, barking, and having a blast up in doggy heaven and she'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge! You had 16 wonderful years with her, hold onto all those beautiful memories forever.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This brings a tears to my eyes. Our pets give the world for us and the love they return is beyond anything. It's a blessing to be able to share such time with our furry friends. She will be missed.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
senecaripple,

My condolensces. I am so sorry. It is amazing how stoic these animals can be, isn't it? I don't doubt for a moment that she waited until everyone left. Luckily we have a lot of photos of Kash; even our Christmas card last year was a pic of the kids and Kash on the beach.

When I was about 12 we had to put our beagle Nicky down. Two nights later I woke in the morning and realized my feet were warm- Nicky always slept on my bed at the foot. The night before I was restless as my feet were cool. Well, I noticed there was a depression in my bed covers where Nicky slept and the spot was warm. I became a believer in ghosts that morning! Love never dies, does it?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My condolences, it is hard to lose a family member like that. They give you pure love for their short lifetime, enough to last you in your thoughts for your lifetime. I still miss my George cat, had her for 18 years and lost her 10 years ago. She slept every night of her life next to my pillow, if I was there or no. I love Tabitha, our current cat, but George will never be out of my thoughts and memories and I will always miss her.

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Very sorry to hear your dog did not live. Said a prayer for you. The only problem with dogs is they just don't live long enough. But they sure can teach you about love. God bless.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
the toughest part is going home and there is no dog to come and greet you, feeding the dog, no dog to jump on your feet, your lap, sleep on top of your pillow or between your legs, nestled inside your arm, or on your chest when you are lying down on your bed. i still have her bedding the way it was, her can of food still in the refigerator to be preserved there. nothing will ever replace my yvonnine!
thanks to you all again for your prayers, and support.

gggarf

Newly Enlightened
Very sorry for your loss. We had a lab mix that was our baby for 15 years and 4 months and I have to say that signing that paper to have her put to rest was the hardest thing I have ever had to sign in my life. But we knew it was time as her thirst and appetite diminished and she became more lethargic with each passing day. My wife and I were crying, and our vet was even weeping as he prepared the medication to put her to rest. He had been her Dr. since she was 8 weeks old. Rest assured as someone said in an earlier post that your "baby" will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge and is now again running and playing and carefully watching for YOU to join someday. It is so sad to read these posts as it brings back that horrible day. There are still times that I swear I can hear her tags jingle or even get a whiff of her scent. Probably all imagination but it gets easier as the days go by. Hang in there and cherish the memories.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I am sorry for your loss. Pets are cherished members of the family, every bit as much as people are, and it's hard when one of them is suddenly gone.

For what it's worth, I believe that all dogs go to heaven. :)