Is that a possum in the yard again ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My room is at the rear of the house and I sometimes leave the window open. Well, I awoke to a noise in our backyard just 20 mins ago and went to look out the window. I notice something moving in the dark; it was hard to see but I figured out what it was since it had visited before.

I ended up blasting it with my HID clamp light. Although I think I blinded her, she didn't seem to be bothered by the bright light and kept trying to eat what was growing in the garden until I started shouting. I kept the light on her until she climbed over the fence and disappeared off into the hills behind our neighbor's house. Too bad, I left the camera downstairs, otherwise I would have had a picture.

Anyway I could keep it out of my yard ? My mother freeked out when she first saw a possum; she thinks they are giant rats.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this beast in my garden

After a sustained attack i managed to get the upper hand.

I dont think it will be coming round hear again.

rat.jpg

regards.

John.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Did someone say possum? This fellow was on the deck railing one night, helping himself to some bird seed.

Geoff

Possum.jpg

C4LED

Enlightened
Joke:

Q: What are used car salesmen reincarnated in to once they die?

A: Possums (note the little, red, beady eyes!)

:crackup:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possums thrive in an urban environment. Like cockroachs they were here before us and will probably be around long after we're gone.

Their primary defense mechanism is faking death ("playing possum"). If you'll tap one lightly with a stick or something, they will usually go into their act. You can then sack him up and haul him away. Their secondary defense mechanism is a serious set of teeth, so be cautious.

They are very susceptible to live traps. Some city animal control agencies will loan you a trap and pick up the trapped animal. In my town, they state the trapped animals are released into the wild, but I suspect they are euthanized. I suggest taking them for release yourself.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
A wrist lock slingshot and some small balls ( out of a ball bearing assy) should discourage the possum from return visits, the larger the ball the less inclination the possum will feel to make return visits.

VWTim

Enlightened
Here in Oregon they're an invasive species. I called animal control and dept of fish and wildlife about what to do when I trap them. They recommended I "humainly dispatch" them. I asked about releasing them in the woods, and they said they don't recommend that, and they recommend they be humainly dispatched.

So what did I do...you guessed it.

C4LED

Enlightened
smokinbasser said:
A wrist lock slingshot and some small balls ( out of a ball bearing assy) should discourage the possum from return visits, the larger the ball the less inclination the possum will feel to make return visits.

If you want to try something a bit less vicious you could us ice for ammo (buy a mold to make round ice 'cubes'). This way the ammo melts away leaving nothing for the lawn mower to run over. It would still be a fairly hard hit.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Possums don't just 'play dead'. Their little nervous systems actually will often make them faint in a 'fight-or-flight' situation. So they aren't just playing possum, they have fainted and are unconscious/comatose.

Don't rely on a possum necessarily fainting though. As BigIron said, they -do- have teeth.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim, we're the invasive species. They were here first.

We only kill what we're going to eat or what's trying to eat us. (That's obviously an oversimplification - I do kill rats or mice around the house and wasps and yellowjackets). Makes no sense to kill an animal just cause you don't want them around.

BTW - I've eaten possum several times (not unusual among poor folks in the rural south). Kind of greasy, but not bad. Like cabrito.

BTW Basser, a .99 cent bag of marbles from Toys R Us makes great slingshot ammo.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Possum Stew

1 possum, cut-up
1/2 cup oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
4 carrots, cut in thick slices
1 small can whole kernel corn
1 can whole tomatoes
1 bell pepper sliced 2 zucchini cut in large pieces
1/2 head cabbage cut in large pieces
8 ounces tomato juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
10 drops Tabasco
salt and pepper to taste
5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced

Brown possum in oil in a Dutch oven or heavy skillet. Add all ingredients except potatoes, cabbage, pepper, and zucchini. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Illum

Flashaholic
1 Young possum
2 ts Salt
4 lg Red chili peppers; seeded, chopped
1 lg Onion; chopped
6 Peppercorns crushed in a mortar
8 Strips fatty bacon
6 md Sweet potatoes or 4 lg. yams; peeled and sliced 1\2 inch thick

#1 The best possum is a fat one (taken in freezing weather), but its fat should be boiled off. Parboil the meat in salt water for about 1 hour and pour off and skim the fat continually. Finally, drain entirely before roasting. NOTE: In dressing possum, do not overlook the glands beneath the front legs and at the small of the back; if not removed, the animal will be unappetizing. Do not skin, but dip in scalding water and pull out the hairs, then wash and scrub the skin. Put possum in lg. kettle with water to cover. Add salt, red peppers, and peppercorns. Simmer for 30 min. Drain meat; reserve liquid. Put meat in a roasting pan. cover with bacon strips. Continue cooking kettle liquid, boiling over high heat until 2 1/2 cups remain. Pour this over the meat and roast in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 min., basting every 10 min. Arrange potatoes or yams around the meat and continue to roast 30 min. more or until meat is tender and potatoes or yams are done SERVES: 4-6 SERVE WITH: cooked turnip greens

something tells me I just hijacked the thread....:ohgeez:

um...reflecting thread, no...leaving that assembly outside might kill the assembly if it rains, condensation, etc that might blow the bulb, if you have an enclosure or a window facing the direction just set it indoors.

VWTim

Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
Tim, we're the invasive species. They were here first.

We only kill what we're going to eat or what's trying to eat us. (That's obviously an oversimplification - I do kill rats or mice around the house and wasps and yellowjackets). Makes no sense to kill an animal just cause you don't want them around.

BTW - I've eaten possum several times (not unusual among poor folks in the rural south). Kind of greasy, but not bad. Like cabrito.

BTW Basser, a .99 cent bag of marbles from Toys R Us makes great slingshot ammo.

They may be native where you live. But here in Oregon they ARE a non-native invasive species. Just like Nutria in many parts of the US.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, they're native to central america and migrated northward pre-colombian. The species is like 150 million years old -maybe the oldest surviving mammal.

No reason to destroy one when they can be so easily relocated.

The old thing about "they carry rabies" isn't true. They are highly resistant to the disease. They do, like any animal, carry parasites like fleas and stuff.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Illum_the_nation said:
...NOTE: In dressing possum, do not overlook the glands beneath the front legs and at the small of the back; if not removed, the animal will be unappetizing...
I guess at this point I'd have to ask, "What do they like to wear?" :ohgeez:

But seriously - I'll admit I've never tried it, but would! I've heard about those glands as well, good point!

If anyone does "have a taste" - please post your thoughts! I'd bet if it was smoked, it would be great!

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Andrew, we haven't really hijacked your thread -- just offered up an exciting alternative solution. Maybe help your Mom cut down on the grocery bill.

I've eaten possum several times -- the "possum and sweet 'taters" in Illums recipe, which as I remember is the classic. Maybe like chicken thigh meat only a little tougher and fatter. Very similar to cabrito (grilled/roasted young goat).