What is the brightest non-rechargeable flashlight?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Any idea what the brightest non-rechargeable (& non-HID) flashlight is?

Thanks!

Al
grin.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
Hotfoot, of course the M6 with MN21 is brighter then the 5D Mag, you silly.
smile.gif
Alex is just joking.

Al, why do you ask that question?

Greetings,
Velcro

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is there anything brighter then an M6?

I need suggestions for a light that can work without need to recharge, that can work in Polar environments, and that can be flashed.

As bright, or more bright then the M6...

Al

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alex cooper:
Joking? Who is joking? Maglites rule!!!
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, this is true. You need to know about the special top-secret hidden ultra-bright 500lumen manufacturer mode that they don't advertise though.
Here is how to make your Mag 5D as bright as an SF M6:

1. Remove tailcap.
2. Remove spare lamp. Keep this as you will need it.
3. Remove reflector assembly.
4. Remove lamp, keep this as you will need it also.
5. Take out the batteries, and put them aside.
6. Get a roll of cellotape, a small piece of paper, and one of those green fluorescent pens.
7. Put the 2 maglite lamps and batteries in a drawer for later. These are the only really useful parts in the Maglite.
8. Throw away the remaining Maglite parts.
9. Buy a SureFire M6.
10. Write 'Maglite' on the piece of paper with the green pen, and tape it to the M6.

And there you have it! The top-secret 500 lumen Maglite mod that they don't tell you about.

Graham
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, I guess it depends what your definition of 'flashlight' is. If you include larger lantern-style lights, I'm sure there are probably very bright ones out there.

I'm not sure if some of the larger dive-lights, like the PT Showckwave, would be brighter than an M6. Probably difficult to work out unless you can get a real-world comparison somewhere..

Graham

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Since the original question mentioned arctic / polar use - divide the runtimes by 2 even for lithium - at least lithium works at subzero temps, but you pay the penalty in reduced capacity.

An M6 and a box of 123's sounds like the best combo given the constraints.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi al, i guess it is hard to tell because most not all manufactures publish candlepower numbers insted of the more acurate lumen
confused.gif
. the m6 sounds like the way to go,if you want to signal use a high out put laser it goes alot farther. i hear that sure fire makes them
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
. later,josh

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
al, I think it'd help if you told us what you wanna do with that light - flood an area, piercing spot or something else. saw a link in an older post - there is this guy who did this custom/mod:
http://www.madhacker.org/sublight.htm

which is a 50W halogen x 3 9 (with room for 75W x 3)diving light which you *could* rig to take regular batteries instead of lead acids. plenty(!) bright, but definitely not for everyone :p

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire does both spot and flood in one beam - more so with the MN21, and with the BeamShaper, defuse light requirements can be met.

I must admit that the M6 was looking the obvious choice. However, it's good to inquire if there are any alternatives.

Bare in mind, this won't be for me to use, and cost is less of a factor for them. Performance and ability to perform are vital.

If they take the M6, they won't be the only lights.

Thanks for your help.

Al

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
For the last time - the maxabeam IS NOT HID - it is a xenon short arc - and flashes just fine, without the warmup issues of HID or bulb life shortening from flashing.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Oh - and here's another possible entry I forgot - buy a streamlight sl-35 (5 D rechargable) - open it up and dump the recharge pack and insert your choice of lithium D's (caution 3V) or 1.5V alkaline Ds. Now you have a 20W non-rechargable light (the SL-35 holds its own against the M6 - I have both and sorta view the M6 as a downsized SL-35 that you can carry in a pocket.

If you go with the lithium D's , some custom work will need to be done to wire 2 sets of 2 in parallel (for 4 total) - then add a dummy battery to take up the slack. I'd guess that it would perform well at cold though.