Couple of questions about the L1T, L1S

Mike89

Enlightened
I was really getting into the thread I started (L1T, L1S, L1P) that got closed. The info was really helping me out. I'll start another one.

Got a couple of questions.

On the Fenix store it lists the L1T and the L1S as both having 37 lumens and the same battery time. One has a 1 watt LED and the other has a 3 watt LED. How can that be?

This binning stuff. What does that mean exactly? T bin, U bin, etc?

Last edited:
Mike89 said:
I was really getting into the thread I started (L1T, L1S, L1P) that got closed. The info was really helping me out. I'll start another one.

Got a couple of questions.

On the Fenix store it lists the L1T and the L1S as both having 37 lumens and the same battery time. One has a 1 watt LED and the other has a 3 watt LED. How can that be?

This binning stuff. What does that mean exactly? T bin, U bin, etc?

According to independent testing, it seems that Fenix's advertised lumen is considerably inflated compared to measured output.
Check out this thread.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1172109#post1172109

1W LED usually refers to Luxeon I and 3W LED usually refers to Luxeon III. They're very similar though.

Bins are sub-classes that separates the product by output and higher the alphabet, higher the output.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike89 said:
Wouldn't a 3 watt LED be brighter than a 1 watt LED?

Depends on how hard it's driven. (How much juice from the battery is being supplied)

Mike89 said:
Wouldn't a 3 watt LED be brighter than a 1 watt LED?

Should be, but LEDs are often not driven to their maximum input.
The Luxeon I is rated at 350mA current and the Luxeon III at 1,000mA.
If the Luxeon III is driven at 350mA, it wouldn't be significantly or any brighter than the Luxeon I depending ont he bin code.

*Retired*
Unfortunately, most flashlight makers over-inflate their lumen specs. The only legit ones, I bet I could count on less than one hand.

At least Fenix uses a good quality AR glass lens, and makes a decent attempt at heatsinking the emitter. Not even MagLite does that. And I find the Fenix coating much more durable.

IMHO, the value for the dollar spent is good on the Fenix lights.

NewBie said:
Unfortunately, most flashlight makers over-inflate their lumen specs. The only legit ones, I bet I could count on less than one hand.

At least Fenix uses a good quality AR glass lens, and makes a decent attempt at heatsinking the emitter. Not even MagLite does that. And I find the Fenix coating much more durable.

IMHO, the value for the dollar spent is good on the Fenix lights.

According to Fenix dealer 4sevens, AR coating has been dropped for the LxS series.

NewBie said:
Right, and it is the new economy version of their line.

Your point?

I'm pointing out the differences. The original poster is trying to figure out the difference between the two, but you didn't make him aware the L1S doesn't sport the anti-reflective coating you mentioned.

Mike89

Enlightened
L1S doesn't sport the anti-reflective coating you mentioned

According to the Fenix store, the L1T does (which was the one I was interested in).

It doesn't sound like you're particularly favorable towards Fenix. So what single AA LED flashlight do you think is better than the L1T?

Last edited:
Mike89 said:
How bout the L1T?

You don't sound like you're too favorable towards Fenix. So what single AA LED flashlight do you think is better than the L1T?

"hard anodized"
L1P,L2P, L1T, L2T, L0P

not "hard anodized"
L1S, L2S

Although, user experience shows hard anodizing on Fenix products isn't as good as good HA should be.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/102389

You can even find 1 AA LED flashlight at Target, such as the Garrity for a few bucks.

Mike89

Enlightened
Although, user experience shows hard anodizing on Fenix products isn't as good as good HA should be.

Where are these user experiences? I've done quite a bit of reading and what I see about the Fenix LED flashlights are way more favorable than unfavorable.

You seem to have a problem with them for some reason but I don't see many others that do. Have you ever personally owned one? If so, tell me about it, I'm interested.

I just bought the L1T from the Fenix-Store website to go with the L2T I purchased earlier and will post my own experiences when I get them.

Last edited:

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the money, the fenix series lights are hard to beat.

Handy, can you post some comparison spec for the garrity light that you talked about? How would it be better than the fenix? perhaps if it is better AND cheaper, we can all buy that. Afterall, the point of this discussion is to find out whether the fenix is a worthy investment or not

It is true (at least as far as I can remember from 5 months back) that the HA on the fenix is not as strong as SF's HA. However, they are still HA and the coating is definitely a lot stronger than a Magled. Unless you use your fenix to hammer nails, I would not worry about it.

the 3W Led is commonly seen as being more efficient compared to the 1W counterpart. The prices on these LED are also a bit more expensive compared to 1W.
Personally, I would not worry about the 3W and 1W difference, since they both are driven at ~350 mA.
If your financial situation a bit tight, go with the L1S. If you can afford a couple more bucks, go get the L1T.

glire

Enlightened
My prefered 1xAA from Fenix is the L1P. From my experience it's the brighter one. Check this if you want one.

Mike89 said:
Where are these user experiences? I've done quite a bit of reading and what I see about the Fenix LED flashlights are way more favorable than unfavorable.

I included the link to user experience right below the line you quoted.

ciam

Newly Enlightened
Unless you're really so tight with your money that you can't afford the extra 10 dollars, I would highly recommend LxT over LxS. For a little extra, you get a better lens, a better finishing, a better Luxeon LED bin, and my personal favourite feature, the ability to use a 14500 in a L1T, making it even brighter than a L2T.

Better still, 4sevens says that the new LxTs are equipped with premier LEDs so that their beam should be whiter. For LxS's, you still have to play the Luxeon lottery.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L1T and i am very happy with it.
And if i would buy again i would choose the L1T over the L1S because of the more rugged finish and the ability to use Li-ion.

But i am also thrilled there are a cheaper version out with almost the same features for the everyday man.

Normal people dont use Li-ion 14500`s and dont care about the Type 2 anodizing becasue that is what they are used to from Maglite and are perfectly happy with a light that will scratch.
Most people use a light as a light and is not so concerned about that part.

I like this new trend from Fenix,it gives a choice to those who just wants a good flashlight for a decent price.

Me,im bitten by the Ha Hype..
I dont know if this is a good thing because i am more afraid to scratch a Ha light than a Type 2 light.
lol

Not because it will scratch easier but because of the higher price ofcource.

So I think you are making a wise decition buying either of those lights depending on your use or preference.

Benny

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
most cheap E-Bay lights use the "xxx-watt" claim for boosting their low quality/low output beams.

If You use the L1T with a normal AA, then there will be no difference to the L1P Model and the Lux III will probably be even dimmer than the Lux 1 inside the L1P
BUT
the L1T uses the same head than the L2T and it can handle one 14500. THEN it will run on much more power --> a beater light.

(btw. if You re not planning to use the 14500s, there is an easy "head mod" (search function) for the Fenix P Models to change them to 2 way output by turning the head. I did this to my L2P, and its great now)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, since you already have the L2T I would order the L1T...body if they are still available from the Fenix store. And later, if you have the desire to have the same brightness as the L2T in a smaller package order the 123 battery option...should be available in a month or so.

The L2T it a great light...wait till you get...it one bright puppy. And welcome!

Ken