The Dependability Question???

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
Is an Inova or Fenix highly dependable light?

Do you need to go to a Surefire (& others of that quality) to have a highly dependable light?

I have a Fenix L2T in my emergency kit. Can I depend on it working well when I need it?

I know something could go wrong with anything but generally speaking....

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's really no absolute answer.

As for me, you can bet along with a light on hand, I'll have a couple SMJLED bulbs and a MagLED drop-in along for the ride. I can find cheap 2xAA/2D or Maglite hosts a whole lot easier on the go in my area than I can Fenix or Inova parts.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both Inova and Fenix lights are very dependable. In fact, some Inovas (X1, X5) are described as being built like tanks. Don't worry about your L2T.

Do you have alks, NiMHs, or L91s in your L2T? NiMHs will need to be charged every couple weeks, alks should be checked for leaks every year or so, and lithiums should be good for years. At the very least, test it once a year.

GreySave

Enlightened
I have found the Inova llights to be very reliable, but then mine are all single level output with twisty tailcaps (Purchased purposefully to minimize potential failures in the field). But, as the prior individual so noted, they are all man made and all are certainly capable of failing,

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I work on stuff with a fair amount of electric parts on each unit. I have many cases of parts with no moving pieces (solenoid coils) and micro switches failing.

I have yet to have a DOA light that wasn't my fault....

But that doesn't mean it won't happen!

I have the 2AA Minim*g LUXIII that my P1 Fenix replaced in the door pocket of my truck just in case...

edit> OH YEAH! I had a couple Duracell Alk AAAs go gooey inside a River Rock 2AAA in WELL under a year!!! Anything in my truck except the 3C M*gled and M*gcharger has LITH AAs in it for just that reason!

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
If you are not using it every so often I recommend you store the cells separately instead of leaving them in the light. If you keep it in the car the heat/cold will take a toll on all cells alkys might be the most effected by temp but I am not sure. I would also have more than one handy.I carry a fenix L1P but I would not set one back loaded in a kit for emergencies. The risk of leakage is not worth taking. I have one of the Inova X5's and it might be a good choice as a set back and forget light.
Topper :)

Topper

Flashaholic*
There have been some "vent" I just figure safe is better than sorry in a light you don't normally use. I have several lights sitting around (26 at a quick glance) all loaded with 123's and Pila's I do play with them every now and then. I would not toss them in my suv and leave them with cells in them.
Saftey first.
Topper :)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's can break just like any other flashlight but the advice on the batteries is solid. I get free alkaline AA's and AAA's but I still bought some lithiums for backup.