What do you all do with your old flashlights?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I know some here, such as Craig and a few others have massive amounts of flashlights. How many of you keep them all? Do you still use them all? For those of you who have a variety of small LED lights, which ones do you use the most? I know many people get their start with a photon, then build up from there. Do you still use your photons? I am/was wanting one, but, the only place I know of that carries them for a good price ($15) does not have the color I want (yellow). It has been such a hassle trying to deal with them. They said they would order me one about 3 weeks or 4 weeks ago. Then, since they never called me, I called today. They dont have them, the yellow ones are backordered. Well crap. Should I try ebay (I really dont want to), or should I just not get one, or what?

For the incandescent collectors: What do you do with all your different lights? There is not such a big difference between most incandescent lights, so do you just not collect as many, or do you get the same thing over and over but in different packages?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spudgunr:
I know some here, such as Craig and a few others have massive amounts of flashlights. How many of you keep them all? Do you still use them all<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By virtue of common ettiquite (or maybe an unwritten rule), I never sell or get rid of samples provided me by manufacturers.
So I keep them all.

Since I have *so many*, I can honestly say that after a couple of months, some of the lights are used only infrequently, but over the long term, virtually every light gets used at least occasionally - some more than others. Here are some that receive the most use:

The PAL lights serve well as nightlights by the bed - if I hear a rat in the walls or feel a bug land on me, I tend to reach for the light I first see.

The Eternalights (specifically, the X-ray and the Classic) also spend a lot of time at bedside. The X-ray is kept there because of its blue light; and I keep the Classic under the outlet my cell phone charger is plugged into, which happens to be next to the bed.

The DB-18 and a couple of Tektites are also somewhere within reach - I can just swipe my hand in the dark and latch onto the first thing it hits and know I ended up with a bright flashlight.
smile.gif

Another light I keep near the bed is the Division 2 Responder - a 4-watt halogen.
It's there because the case is fluorescent and it can be clipped to the shelf support so it won't be as likely to fall & become buried in a quake.
For a couple of months, I used this as a headlamp on my wheelchair, until I replaced it with the 9-watt Trek 6000.

The Knifelite, a white Pocketlight Auto, and a UV Photon are hung from the steering arm of my wheelchair.

An Arc Flashlight hangs from my keys.

A Trek 6000 is mounted to my wheelchair for use as my primary headlamp.

A LEDCORP "Our Best Aluminum Flashlight" has a home on the floor under the toliet paper dispener, where it can be quickly grabbed if Seismic Sam drops hot pipe ashes in his favorite chair while I'm on the round white chair.
blush.gif

A Tektite Micra Lithium hangs on the wall next to the first-aid kit.

A Bison 2C Sportlight seems to hang around the computer area, and sees more than average use there.

An Expedition 300 and 1400 also seem to spend a lot of time in this general area, and are what I grab when I need to check through a box or look for dropped items.
I also pick one of these three when I need to make a quick repair on my wheelchair or to reconnect a dropped power tap on same.
This job used to belong to the Turtlelite II, but I broke mine last winter.

A Photon Rav'n and a Batonlite are usually in my daily carry kit.

An Eternalight Raven is on the steering post of my alternate wheelchair front.

A Starlite 128 is usually what I grab when I need a bite to eat at 4am; though a Trek 4 sometimes ends up in my hands.

One of the "AA" Trek lights is most often used when I check in on the animal(s).

And all of the others are used when they happen to be the nearest or handiest at the moment. As a general rule, I prefer to use the white LED lights for around-the-house use, but wouldn't be adverse to using a colored model if that happened to be the first thing I latched onto.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I can't top that! I agree though, a palight by the bed for night trips to the can. A turtle light II for quick close up light as for checking the phone caller ID. A Surefire 8AX for general household use. A Surefire E2 for when working on the computer, quick walks outside in the dark and for travel. A photon on the keychain, an arclight in the toolbox at work and a streamlight polypro underneath the car seat. Overall the Surefire 8AX gets the most use. If the arcLS offers sufficient brightness it may replace a lot of the turtlelites and E2s functions.

Now after reading Craig's post, I realize I do need an emergency light in the bathroom. That's the worst place to be without a light in case of abrupt darkness!

I'm waiting for the Surefire Dominator 10X to come out so I can have an ultimate brightness light and then I'll curb my light addiction radically, except perhaps when really cool new LED lights come out.

As for not using lights anymore, I now never use my maglight 3D, maglight 2AA or my old Eveready 6V lantern.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:

This job used to belong to the Turtlelite II, but I broke mine last winter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? How in the world did you do that? The quake?

Anyway, I keep a 4D Mag beside the driver's seat of my wife's car, along with a SureFire 6P and a Pelican WOW! light in the glove box and a halogen strobe dome light in the trunk (for emergency use, in conjunction with flares).

I keep a Streamlight SL-20X in a charging sleeve behind the driver's seat of my truck, along with a SureFire 9Z in the glovebox and a DashKing strobe light in the back (for emergency use, in conjunction with flares).

I have a 3D Mag with an NDS Electronics 3-LED replacement lamp (get the one from LEDCorp instead) that I keep near the bed (great for indoor use).

I have a Pelican StealthLite that I keep in the kitchen/dining area for finding the dog in the back yard, if I don't feel like grabbing the free-flashlight-that-comes-with-the-super-duper-drill/driver that I usually keep near the back door.

I keep another Streamlight SL-20X in the garage in a charging sleeve for when I leave through the garage to walk the dog. I have a SureFire 8X that I usually have in the map pocket of the driver's door of whichever vehicle I'm driving that I also occasionally use when walking the dog. I also keep a 4D flat lighthouse-looking kind of a light in the garage for working on vehicles.

I've loaned out my Infinity (white) to a neighbor who went on his two weeks AT (annual training) with Uncle Sam, and he's not given it back yet (!!!), and my best friend from college borrowed my EternaLight and hasn't followed the instructions I gave him to "run a couple of sets of batteries through it" before he gives it back.

I usually carry the ArcLight with me in my pants pocket, but I finally killed the AAA battery and haven't bought any more, so it's hanging on the back of a kitchen chair; my green Photon II is about to finish off its battery (batteries? I forget, and haven't checked), but it's still on my keychain; my blue ASP Sapphire light broke its clip, so I can't wear that on my beltloop like I usually do.

I have a card-light, a 2AA Mini-Mag and a SureFire 6P that I carry with me in my briefcase.

I guess the only light I don't use much any more is a "Snake-Light" copy, and that's probably because its beam quality is pretty lousy.

(Yes, my wife thinks I'm more than a little loopy, and my sister-in-law has threatened "intervention" like you do with alcoholics, but I'm still getting two Arc-LSes.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
What? How in the world did you do that? The quake?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one and only... I think a Sony computer monitor fell on it (and a few other things with the Turtlelite) from the top shelf in a closet.

That's quite a wash list of lights you have.
But here's a small piece of advice: keep a good flashlight in the bathroom near the toilet in case Seismic Sam drops his crack stem down the cussions of his favorite couch, or when a pesky squirrel decides that the big grey insulator on top of a pole pig would make a good place to scan the surrounding area for acorns.
blush.gif

I will probably hang the Energizer Folding LED Lantern from a hook someplace, or hang it from Christmas lights I already have strung around the place (Chris, you're not the only one who has Christmas lights up in August)
smile.gif

After testing (probably sometime between October and December) an Arc LS will become a daily carry light. I highly doubt I'll be able to break the test sample no matter what I do to it.

I use a Trek 6000 as a headlight for my wheelchair, and there are a few other lights scattered about the house in various locations - I'm rarely ever more than two or three feet away from a flashlight.