Streamlight Propoly 4AA Battery Problem

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else had a problem with the stock ENERGIZER batteries that came with their Streamlight propoly 4AA light? My brother told me about a problem where one of the batteries swelled to the point where it leaked and corroded parts inside the light. I checked my SL and found one of the stock everyready cells had swollen and leaked ...corroding all metal parts. The light still works but its rough lookin' inside.

Has this been reported previously? Would this be a problem with the batteries or the flashlight?

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries that came with mine leaked. The electrolyte ran forward -- I had the light on the shelf, upright -- and damaged the reflector, and maybe some of the internals.

I contacted Energizer, they say they would repair/replace the light, and send me a prepaid label to send them the light. I send the light/batteries over to them.

That's the status right now. Haven't gotten the light back, and the expected turnaround time is not yet there. Next week I'll call them and ask the status of my claim.

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
The wife discarded the bad Energizers (not Eveready's)....error in my post. I guess I'm out of luck unless all Streamlights come with nothing but Engergizers...would you happen to have the contact info for Engergizer?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to their web page and emailed them via their contact page.

The phone# of their customer service dept. is 1-800-383-7323 (was in the answer email).

The return address on the letter with my claim# and the prepaid return label was
Eveready Battery Company
P.O. Box 537
Neenah, WI 54957-0537

I guess either emailing or calling the 1-800# would be best.

Good luck!

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
BigTwin said:
Has anyone else had a problem with the stock everyready batteries that came with their Streamlight propoly 4AA light?

I didn't think of it until now, but after my first set of batteries (the original Energizers) I checked the remaining voltage on my meter. 3 were low (I don't remember the exact reading), but the 4th was negative! I actually got a slight negative reading on the meter, and no, I didn't have the probes reversed. Just a bad battery, I guess, but I tested the new Energizers before installation. I'll check them again once the light kicks into moon mode.

So what's the thought here - is Streamlight getting different Energizers than we buy in the stores? I think we may have just gotten a few bum batteries.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight has a no excuse warranty. If the batteries that came with the light caused the problem, then I don't see why Streamlight wouldn't simply replace the flashlight.

vic303

Enlightened
Yeah, I would call streamlight and tell them the oem batteries leaked and that you want a return authorization for a repair/replacement light.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I have had several flashlights ruined by Energizers. That is why I do not use them at all. I have never had a problem with Duracell or Rayovac. Energizers are nothing but 'leakers' IMHO.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last PP 4AA Lux I bought came with one, I'll say bad, battery. I pitched it right away. Who knows, maybe it would have leaked if given a chance.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
whippoorwill said:
I have had several flashlights ruined by Energizers. That is why I do not use them at all. I have never had a problem with Duracell or Rayovac. Energizers are nothing but 'leakers' IMHO.

This matches my experience. Over the years, I've lost many more lights to Energizers leaking than any other brand.

I'll still use Energizers, because when I'm away from home they're often the only brand available in gas stations and convenience stores. However, I try to remember to remove them when finished using the light.

I just don't trust Energizers not to leak. It seems like they don't even have to be very run down or old to leak.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had bad experiences with Energizer batteries as well. I had a pager, calculator, and two flashlights ruined by leaking Energizers. I usually stick to Duracell batteries if possible.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
LowBat said:
Streamlight has a no excuse warranty. If the batteries that came with the light caused the problem, then I don't see why Streamlight wouldn't simply replace the flashlight.
I had this problem as well about a year ago. My reflector is discolored now, the plastic wings that position the batteries virtually melted away, in fact the plastic was so badly damaged by the battery acid that one of the battery contact posts became loose.

I did contact Streamlight, and was told over the phone by a representative that they would not replace the flashlight. When I asked how much they would sell me the LED head unit for (it might have been a price quote from an official vendor of theirs, again this was a year ago), the price was within a few dollars of the price I bought the whole flashlight for at BrightGuy, so I said forget it.

So much for the warranty.