Daylight Savings Time...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this weekend! I just dug my warm jackets out of storage in anticipation of colder weather. I shall pocket my improved HDS B42XRGT and a converted orange match tube battery carrier. I'm glad I was able to lock out the switch and reprogram the levels (5/10/21/42).

Sorry to you fellow photon fiends in the Southern Hemisphere. But you get to celebrate Christmas in the summer. That sounds wonderful.

What's in your pockets?

Will you also belt carry too?

It'll be dark by 6pm in Sacramento come this Monday! Now I can start my evening strolls with my lovely wife earlier. I always wait until its dark so we can use my flashlights!

kelmo

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
Went on a walk with my friend yesterday in pitch black darkness. Seriously, there was some problem with the street lights. Anyway, my friend hadn't seen a good flashlight before, so I decided to show him my 6p. Needless to say, he got VERY impressed, when I lit it up and we say a beautiful deer standing 4 meters ahead of us. Not only was it really cool to see deer were I live, the flashlights throw and overall quality blew him away.

Later the same evening it got foggy, and we played around alot with the light in the fog. A simple but good pleasure :)

I'm looking forward to this winter!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
As soon as my holster for my PD arrives it will be my edc....I will be carrying my 27LT in my zipper pocket of my jacket along with a r123 & 17670. On my keychain I carry the CR ION and in the other pocket my Jetbeam MK 11. Ask me if I'm prepared for colder darkness??

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I wish we'd just skip DST altogether. I'll use my lights no matter what the clocks say as long as it's dark outside.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not to keen on Daylight Savings Time, I use my lights mostly at night, it's
one hour less time to play with them

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like it and am sorry to see it change back each year. It cuts into my evenings hunting time too much, and makes the Michigan winter nights seem too long. I used to really hate it when it changed back and I was working on a Systems project where I put in a lot of OT and it seemed like I was a mole, go to work in dark and leave after dark, never saw daylight.

I personally wont be doing any celebrating this weekend.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Daylight Savings Time saves no daylight. It just shifts the clock around, brute-force style. Better would be local initiatives to set approriate hours to maximize activity during daylight hours, since latitude plays a great role in the length of the day.

dchao

Enlightened
idleprocess said:
Daylight Savings Time saves no daylight. It just shifts the clock around, brute-force style. Better would be local initiatives to set approriate hours to maximize activity during daylight hours, since latitude plays a great role in the length of the day.
Agree, just have one time zone for the entire North America. Simple.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
dchao said:
Agree, just have one time zone for the entire North America. Simple.

Better yet have no time zones and run the whole world off GMT. "Local time" only means what hours everything happens at for a given longitude. Who says that the sun has to rise at 06:00 and the workday ends around 17:00?

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Queensland (Australian State) Government is considering bringing back daylight savings time again for us . I hope they don't as it really doesn't achieve much other then disrupting our lives a little.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think changing the DST date will help at all. I like it dark on halloween, halloween seems to get dark so fast since it is right after DST. Now it will be strangely light during the prime hours of halloween, causing people to start later, and the little ones will go home early anyway, so it cuts into their fun. It just won't be as spooky with all the light.

Doesn't mean you can't still have fun, though.

GregWormald

Enlightened
I think the idea of extending DST is so that we use less power for lighting. I suspect that most of us use more lights in the evening than in the morning, so the later it is light, the less electricity we use.
However--I do love the people who hate DST 'cause the extra sunlight fades their carpets and curtains! :huh2:
Greg

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
read: "The extra daylight act of 2006" declares, "There will be more daylight between the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov.