Looking for a good LED flashlight that takes 2 to 3 D-sized cells?

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I've got a bunch of D-size cells that I would want to find a home in a LED flashlight. I found the Maglite LED flashlight that takes this size battery but I was wondering what else is out there. Price range I'm looking at is anything less than $200. Also, 2 to 3 cell capacity would be okay.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Mahalo Long John for your response. I'll try the Maglite LED for now since the price is right (a.k.a. "inexpensive").

Dorcy 3D Super 1W. The heat path on luxeon star is very good on this and you can do a direct-drive mod to make it quite bright.

moontroll said:

6W & 390 hours on 3D cell implies it is not running at 6W except maybe the first few minutes with new batteries.

390 hrs x 6W = 2.34kWh, no that ain't gonna happen with three D-cells.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
Yea I dont believe the run times either.I put 11,000 mha Titanium brand rechargables in it and it will run longer than I can,but dont know how long.It will throw about the same as the 4aa propoly with a much wider beam.The light coming from it is a nice tint of white,and the brightness seems constant for the life(at least 50%) of the batteries.It lights my barn up nicely at 50 yards,and the tops of tress at 70 yards.The lanyard that comes with it looks to be exactly like the ones from Fenix.The sheath it comes with seems cheap compared to the ones from Fenix and Streamlight propoly's,and its got a plastic lens and It's made in China.I took a chance when I bought this light,I couldnt find anything about it,if it was sold anywhere else I wouldnt of bought it,but I'm glad I did.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Lowes has the Dorcy 3D for about 30 bucks. This is the best D led that I've used. Has a smooth white beam with lots of throw plus long run-time. After I picked up the first one, I got 3 more!!!!! I would compare the beam to a pro-poly 4AA luxeon with a lot more throw and runtime.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and I agree with Fishx65, the Dorcy 3D "Super 1 Watt" is an excellent performer. For a single 1 Watt light and for its price, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better 3D aluminum flashlight out there. They supposedly made 2 versions, one smooth bare aluminum (like a M*glite) and the other with rubberized grip (the latest version it seems and very smelly at first).

Here's the manufacturer's product link:
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414250

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For emergency lighting and extremely long runtimes it is hard to beat the Lightwave 4000 in D size.

DonL

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
6W & 390 hours on 3D cell implies it is not running at 6W except maybe the first few minutes with new batteries.

390 hrs x 6W = 2.34kWh, no that ain't gonna happen with three D-cells.

Good point. I find it misleading how they call it a 6W light, perhaps implying that the LED is rated at 6W, but then state, "We achieved this extreme efficiency with two 3-watt Luxeon™ LEDs... "

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
mauiblue wrote: "I've got a bunch of D-size cells that I would want to find a home in a LED flashlight. I found the Maglite LED flashlight that takes this size battery but I was wondering what else is out there. Price range I'm looking at is anything less than $200. Also, 2 to 3 cell capacity would be okay."

If the object is to use-up those D-cells then you should really be getting incandescents
tongue.gif

as almost any LED flashlight on 2 to 3 D cells is going to take quite a long time to drain those batteries
biggrin.gif

You might want to think about the sMJLED PR2 (replacement) bulb for any 2 D (or C) battery flashlight that uses a PR2 bulb.

Take a look at my review in Post #90 (link) which is buried in the very long thread -
Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?
this thread should give you some ideas for possible hosts......

The aforementioned Dorcy Super 1watt 3D is also a good light -
please take a look at my comparison review where I was very pleasently surprised -

Dorcy 1watt 3D - huh? WoW!

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all the responses. I've been looking for a Internet vendor for this Dorcy flashlight but I've not been able to locate one. I tried Coolflashlights.com and brightguy.com but they don't have the one that is item #41-4250 Dorcy 1 watt 3D LED flashlight. Any leads to a website storefront that stocks this bad boy?

WNG

Enlightened
+1 for Electrolumens. Carrot's right, can't believe the Blaster 3P Lux-III wasn't mentioned.

Unless Wayne discontinued that line.

I have one, it's built like a tank. It will outlast me!

fishx65

Enlightened
I've seen some good prices for the Dorcy on E-bay or you could order it from Lowes.com.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Update: I would have tried purchasing a Dorcy LED flashlight like the one you guys mentioned in the thread but I couldn't find a vendor that had one. I was able to purchase the Maglite 2D LED flashlight though. The brightness is okay and I was a bit disappointed at how the uneven the light beam was. It is all good though and I appreciate the suggestions. BTW, Zbattery was quick to ship my new Maglite torch and even sent an email when I was shipped out.