Need a good light.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Hey guys. Im currently an EMT and im looking for a good light that I can use while on the job and also while at home. I dont want something thats to big (already got enough things to carry). I was looking at some of the Wolf eyes lights. Specifically the explorer 6M and the raider 9D. Also I was looking at the streamlight TL-2 , the twin task 2L , and the surefire G2. Are these good choices? Feel free to suggest any other light that I might have overlooked.

dyyys1

Enlightened
How much run time do you think you might need on a light? The G2's batteries only last an hour or so. I don't know much about EMT work, but it seems like you would want a long-running light with a wide, "floody" beam for what you are doing.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf eyes are good products....but most are powerful incans.... do you prefer LED's? You might want something thats not overly powerful...but has a longer runtime for close work.

The new maglite mini LED in 2 or 3 cell gives a nice bright light...not so much as to bounce back and blind you.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Very good point guys. An Led light might be the better way to go due to the longer runtime. What are some good LED lights I should look at?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're on a budget, Fenix, Huntlight, and Lumapower make a range of pretty impressive lights at reasonable prices. Maybe something like a Fenix L1T, L2T, L1S, or L2S...

JimmyB

Enlightened
An LED may very well be the way to go. As others said, they have lower or variable output, and can have long runtime. The only downside for your use is the poor color rendition. LEDs can make colors look washed out and "off." In your line of work it's sometimes important to accurately judge the color of a victim's skin/organs, ect. Incandescents show colors much more accurately.

When I barbeque steak I always use an incandescent. If I use an LED I cannot see the pink in the center of the meat. It always looks more done with an LED. I think you can see how this might relate to a patient. Yeah yuck, I know.

The Surefire E2 series with a long running MN02 lamp will give about 2.5 hrs runtime. With a beam shaper it's a pretty good close up light too. A Surefire A2 has LEDs and an incandescent. It might be worth a look too. They're a bit pricey though. There are plenty of other good incandescent lights other than Surefire.

This is a pretty common question. If you search on "EMT lights" you should get some good results. The search function wasn't working for me but use the Google Search button on CPF and you get a bunch of good stuff.

Good luck.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Stream Light pro polymer 4xaa 1 watt lux. Normal batteries, good run time, waterproof and easy to find batteries. Great throw for a 1 watt lux led.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, Scubasteve!

A couple quick questions might help us more accurately figure out what's best.

Intended use: Are you looking to use the light to search for far away objects at the scene of an accident, or when working close up on a patient? (For far away objects you'll probably want a light that throws well, but that kind of light may be too focused and too bright when you're working close up, where floods are better)

Runtime: How long do you need the light to work for at a time, and do you plan to use it nightly? (If you'll be using it every night, a rechargeable light might be more cost effective. If you need to use the light for 4 to 5 hours each night, you'll probably need a light with at least two modes - high and low - to conserve battery life. This would probably require a LED, but some incans - like Surefire's 9AN - have two bulbs that allow a high and low mode).

Cost: Is there a price range you wanted to stay within?

Colors: Is accurate color rendition important? (If so, you'll probably need an incan instead of an LED).

Size: Any restrictions on the size?

There's a flashlight recommendation sheet that we usually ask people to fill out when they ask for suggestions about a flashlight, but I think this covers most of the important questions already. =)

- FITP

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
1. I need the light to be able to shearch for objects and be able to use up close with patients. It could also be used to disorient a combative person and give me the chance to get the hell out of there.

2. I plan on using it on the job about 3 times a week and a little around the house. The light probably wont be used on every call.

3. I would like to stay in about the $100 range. If theres anything lower thats even better.

4. Being able to distinguish colors is important.

5. Something that will easily fit into a front or side cargo pocket.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like a decent two stage light may be a good choice for you. Low power for patient use up close and high power with some throw for distances. The Fenix L2T may be a very good choice with decent runtimes and very decent brightness in a fairly small package.

Better yet go for the combo package 4sevens is offering and get the L2T with the L1T body and you have a nice small pocket light also. Or get the Cr123 body combo package and you have two different battery types also.

http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_37&osCsid=376536d8aa5b00f6c0651f9ede615d51

dyyys1

Enlightened
The L2T is a great choice in all but on area: the color rendition. Since it is an LED you may not be able to distinguish colors as well. There's another light that would be great for what you need, but it doesn't fit your price range. It has a bright incan for good throw and color rendition (although you'd have to hold it a few feet away because it is bright) and 3 long-lasting LED's for close-up work. This light is the Surefire A2 Aviator. This light is my personal favorite, as well as the personal favorite of many others on CPF. In fact it has a pretty strong cult following. You can get it for 20% off from tacticalsupply.com if you put in the promotional code CPF20.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I think that the a2 would be even cheaper from lighthound, but I think he's somewhat out of stock on most surefire's.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
scubasteve1942 said:
Hey guys. Im currently an EMT and im looking for a good light that I can use while on the job and also while at home. I dont want something thats to big (already got enough things to carry). I was looking at some of the Wolf eyes lights. Specifically the explorer 6M and the raider 9D. Also I was looking at the streamlight TL-2 , the twin task 2L , and the surefire G2. Are these good choices? Feel free to suggest any other light that I might have overlooked.

I carry a Streamlight TL-2 LED every night when going to work. (I work 3rd Shift, starting at Midnight). Never had any problems with it, works great. :)

If you want the performance of the G2 at a much lower price, get a Brinkmann Maxfire LX. Easily available at Target for only $17. Compared to $30 for a G2 (Not including shipping & handling, and waiting for it to arrive in the mail). I've never seen a Brick & Mortar store selling a G2 for less than $70. The only real difference between the 2 lights is that one of them has the Surefire name on the barrel.

EV_007

Enlightened
An A2 may fit the bill. I'd also look at the L2 for its 2 stage floody beam. Slightly over a "C" note but you get what you pay for.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, scubasteve! A few lights you might want to consider are the Surefire A2, the Streamlight TwinTask 2L, the Fenix L1T/L2T, and the Surefire 9AN.

As others have mentioned, the Surefire A2's an excellent choice. It's a bit beyond your desired price range, but it would fit your needs perfectly and last you a lifetime. They go for about $120-$140 used on CPF's "Sell" or "B/S/T" (Buy/Sell/Trade) forums. It's small, light, built like a tank, easy to operate with one hand, and has two different levels (and types) of light. The LEDs provide a nice even low-level flood for close-up work, and the incan beam lets you "reach out" and light up objects far away. It's truly one of my favorite lights, and it would be my top recommendation. Wish I had it back when I was an EMT!

An alternative - often called the "poor man's A2" - is the Streamlight TwinTask 2L. Like the A2, it has both incans and LEDs. The disadvantages are that it's bigger, dimmer, and not quite as elegant. For instance, the A2 lets you instantaneously and effortlessly switch between the LEDs and incan; with the TwinTask, you have to cycle through a few presses of the button. The Surefire is also brighter, which means you can illuminate objects further away. Still, this may be a good solution for you, since it's available for about $50.

For a less expensive light, you might consider the Fenix L2T (which you can also get in smaller form factors to use AA or CR123 batteries). Unfortunately, it lacks some of the "throw" of an incan, which might let you see things further away. However, it has two levels of light, and in the AA and CR123 form factor is *very* small. It's also easy to use one-handed.

Finally, I'd seriously consider the Surefire 9 AN. It's a rechargeable light, which will save you money if you plan to use it every night. It's also an incan, which gives you better color recognition. Finally, it has two levels of light - 20 lumens and 140 lumens - which lets you switch between battery convservation and raw power. Unfortunately, it's an expensive light - you're still probably looking at $150 used.

Again, you just can't go wrong with the A2. (I'm a serious fan of this light, as you might be able to tell!) Hope this helps!

- FITP

bones_708

Enlightened
I love my 9an but it's a bit much for what you really need. Since you should have a light for pupil dilation already (I assume) the brightness and throw of a light would be the main thing for you right? For that almost any 2 cell 123's would work starting from a Brinkmann maxfire for $20 from walmart or any of the surefire's. I do like the surefire's and the ability to adapt the light by changing bulb types, using battery extensions, beam filters, ect is just great. There is plentiful aftermarket support so you can by cheaper bulbs and parts for them also. So my vote would be Brinkmann for cheap with a surefire or surefire knockoff if you want to spend a little more.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Thank you for all the helpful info guys. Right now im leaning toward the fenix L1T or the L2T with the L1T body. I am also considering spending a little more on a used surefire A2.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
This is probably a crazy idea, but you could probably "rent" a SureFire A2 for about $10 by buying a used one....and then reselling it if you don't like it. This would give you a great opportunity to try the A2 out for a few weeks (which I'd recommend, since the A2 really tends to grow on you). Then if you didn't like it, you'd only be out the original shipping costs plus whatever discount you use to entice the next buyer. But if you found the A2 at a decent price - say $125 - I bet there'd be plenty of people who want to take it off your hands at almost the same price!

- FITP

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Lighthouse one said:
Wolf eyes are good products....but most are powerful incans.... do you prefer LED's? You might want something thats not overly powerful...but has a longer runtime for close work.

The new maglite mini LED in 2 or 3 cell gives a nice bright light...not so much as to bounce back and blind you.

Totally agree. Get a Wolf Eyes 6a with an led module (http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6-6015) . As an EMT it's the best flashlight I've had. Check out the review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/wolf_6m.htm. (It is basically the same flashlight, the same size tube, same module, etc.). It may seem like a lot of money ($100) but with lithium batteries and a charger it's a no brainer. But don't kid yourself you'll still need a penlight. I use an Arc premium as a pen light and it works great because it has great throw I have many other high flashlights (u2) and I still like the wolf eyes more. . The wolf eyes/ arc combo is the best I've seen and I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better combo. You know us EMTs get paid like poop:awman:, but save your nickels, it will be worth it.

P.S. If you want some smoke cutting ability get the 6a with the new incandescent bulb. I have both and prefer the led module.

Buckeye

Enlightened
coontai said:
Totally agree. Get a Wolf Eyes 6a with an led module...
Here is another Flashlight Reviews article.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/wolf_6vd26.htm
It is the 6V LED replacement for the Surefire C2, G2 or Wolf Eyes 6A. It would not be compatible with the Li-Ion batteries due to differences in voltage. The module does not work the best in the Nitrolon body G2, it works better in all metal bodies (SF 6P, C2 or WE 6A)
I hope this helps.
Doug