The Neoca CREEflector family expansion

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished machining another reflector in my CNC router:

32-creeflector01.jpg

This time a 32mm diameter / 38mm height reflector. It appears to be the same size as the 38mm but its not.
Video is uploading to google video, as soon its approved I post the link

I hope to send both reflectors to the aluminizer next week.

Thanks for looking

Pablo

Norm

Retired Administrator
Great work Pablo Fascinating video, you did a fantastic job making that machine.

Norm

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see why not :)

Since these are my 1st prototypes, I liked to test them big, once I figure out the reflector making process entirely, I would be able to make them any size I want.

I just can't make a lot of things at the same time, you know, there is also this thing called regular job that keeps me from doing it :D :ohgeez:

Pablo

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work! I think it's time for the McR series to get some competition :naughty:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
During CPF blackout I sent these reflectors for metalizing and I received them the other day. When I left them I asked if they can make them to resemble an orange peel, but it seems they eat a different kind of orange than me :D

The result is an over stipple, or a more apropiate term a freezed look:

Mcr38 vs CREEflector 38
32-creeflector02

Here is a comparation with an aleph3

Some light is scaping thru the metalized finish, this wont happen on production items since they will be made in metal.
32-creeflector03

32-creeflector04

Today while chatting with other cpfer I tried to explain the term "wall of light" but failed, because its difficult to compare a flood beam. So after thinking about how to show it I came up with this idea.

Use another flood light: a stock CR2ion, the "wall of light" reflector with a cree XR-E driven at 700mA and a static object.

Please keep in mind that im comparing two different beasts, so its not a race to see which one is better, but a method to show the flood magnitude of the CREEflector

I arranged both illumination devices so they hit the static objects from a different angle so the main beam of one kills the shadow of the other (am I being clear :thinking:)

The distance from the wall to the flashlight was exactly 3.5meters (11.5ft)

Here is the setup:
32-creeflector05-setup.jpg

And here is the beamshot (click on image for full size pic)

Now, open the big picture and take a look on the shadows of the object over the table and you can see how the CREEflector outshines by a factor of many X the CR2ion.

Then look at the lamp shadows, the difference is even more notorious which comes at no surprise given the diameter of the CR2ion reflector

And finally for your reference that table is 1.35meters wide (4.9ft), that should give you an idea of the flood size.

Well, IMHO this is better than trying to explain with just words what a wall of light means.

BTW, I made 3 more prototypes on my router and left them on the metalizer today, this time I asked them to sandblast one then mirror finish, and the other two to make them mirror finish without any other treatment.

Hope you all like it

Pablo

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Previous prototypes were not that good in terms of throw, so after a while I designed some more:

creeflector01.jpg

(metalized reflectors are McR38 and McR27L)

I will metalize them next week hopefully

Pablo

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 4th and 6th ones. Nice and deep for use with the Crees. What is the sizes?

gammaray1965

Newly Enlightened
Nitroz, Can you make any reflectors in the 3-4 inch size? I would be interested in them and would order a good quantity!

Thanks, Gammaray

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be a question for PEU. I don't have any machinery to make reflectors, much less the skill. :shakehead

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:
I left the new prototypes at the metalizer today, they told me to call this friday to see if they are ready.

Pablo

Well? :popcorn: Is it Friday yet? :eek:oo: :eek:

Pablo, you are getting into all kinds of fun projects. :rock: I am really looking forward to your upcomming.........

Reflector Review Friday! :twothumbs

Ken