What is the ONE light you would grab in a power outage

atm

Enlightened
In many ways it's not ideal for the purpose but I would grab my Gladius because it can manage 200+ hours runtime on it's lowest setting (which is ample for most around the house tasks with dark adapted vision).

If absolute runtime wasn't so much of an issue, or I had access to my battery supply, I'd go for the PT Apex. The Fire~Fly 3 and VB16 would also be high on my list.

Andrew

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light I have that will burn for the whole night on a set of batteries is my inova x5. That with my riverrock 4AA lantern should do ok.

Those of us who like high output lights might be advised to buy a couple of long running ones. I have almost given all my low power ones away as gifts. If a long power outage occured...I might be in trouble. Thanks for reminding me of that.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could we use the batteries we have on hand? If so probably my Surefire L1. If for some
reason I couldn't find it I'd grab my Lightwave 4000 which I bought specifically for
long runtime.

chizel

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'd grab the closest one I could find in the dark..assuming it was at night. Just long enough to stumble out to the generator. I do keep a unmodded 3D mag in the kitchen..probably be that one.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Well, my faithful little HDS U60XRGT does about 11 days on its lowest setting...and has the 60-lumen "high" available if needed. (After all, you never know what's going to come at you out of the dark...)

So I'm going with the HDS.

Man I love my HDS. =)

- FITP

EDIT: Casual_flashlight_user beat me to it while I was typing up my post! Wow, I need to learn to type faster.

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
I do have a power failure light under the desk at the foot of my bed, which would probably light the room enough to get around... howeverI most likely would grab my SL-20X with the dimmer tailcap and SL35X bulb in it... reason, it's charger is right next to my bed on the wall and I leave the light in it (not charging but sitting in the charger so as not to charge) It should run for a decent amount if I dim it down... Followed then by my Jetbeam which is on the shelf above the SL20X along with the rest of my lights which aren't in a pants pocket or something... Then would hit the garage and grab the propane lantern and shortly after the heater if I thought we'd need it... theres about 10+ AA's Rechargables/Lithiums/Alkalines on my flashlight shelf afore mentioned, to use as spares in the Jetbeam and other lights...

The worst part about power failure is the UPS in the other room goes off and the dog FREAKS! only one goes off, as it's too old to have the setting for turning the alarm off, the others are turned off.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the ones on hand now, it would probably be either the VB-16 (near 100 hours on level 2, near 5000 on level 1) or the EL XM-3 (lots of AA batteries on hand). I also have a bunch of 2AA lights with SMJLED bulbs (20+ hrs run time) and the afore mentioned lots of AA batteries.

If I were to have something just for power failures, it would probably be a basic 2D light with one of the SMJLED PR bulbs - 200 plus hours of light, I think. Haven't felt the need to do that though...

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could only use ONE flashlight, I'd start with my Gladius. This assumes that I have my belt on.

If I'm not wearing my belt, I'm probably in bed, so I'd just reach up and grab a light. With that light, I could find a better one. Any LED-modded Mag would do fine, as would a ProPoly or Dorcy 3W lantern. Then again, if I'm in bed, I'm probably asleep with the lights off, so I wouldn't know about any power outage.

Oh, and headlights for an extended outage. Without overhead mains lights, how else could my dad read The Economist on his exercise bike? :)

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd grab my Gerber infinity Ultra. Lasts for a day and that'll probably be long enough :)

The Porcupine

Enlightened
The one in my pocket!:) Most likely my HDS B42 XRGT or SF E1L. If at all possible, I'd try to get hold of my BD headlamp as well.
As CFU mentioned, the HDS will run for a very long time on low power and it's amazing how little light you can get by with.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concept said:
I just couldn't grab only one! :huh:

Me too!

I ALWAYS have lights on me - normally a Fenix LOP SE on a lanyard, but if it could only be one, definately my ARC +4. Long runtimes on lower levels, instant burst when needed, and discreet!!

Be lucky...

carrot

Flashaholic
Probably my Eternalight, PALight Survival or Fenix L2T. It would depend on my situation, however.

But the light I'm most likely to have when I need one would be the CR2 Ion.

Robban

Enlightened
Am I the only one who don't have a real problem with it being dark? At night I rarely, if ever, turn any lights on. Only if it's completely pitch black I might turn a light on. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

That being said I'd grab my U60GT, should run long enough on one of the lower settings.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
U2. Turn it off when I don't need it, should last a long time.
And there's a half a dozen 18650's floating around the house if needed....