4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm copying and pasting exactly what they have sent me here:

117663707-M.gif

117663783-M.jpg

(original size here: PICT

Fenix P1D CE's Beam Testing

The Fenix P1D CE's beam situation is as below:

1. It is awesome in the central focusing spill, really bright with flawless beamshot and there are no rings.
2. The floodlight is also bright. It is both good for the central beam's long shot and close quarters' lighting.

As per the "dark ring" in the P1D CE's beam reflected back from some of our Fenix P1D CE's users, we test it scientifically with the conclusion as below (Please refer the attached pictures for more data):

The Cree LED is greatly different from Luxeon LED in lighting angle, brightness distribution and even throws aspects. We could easily see these differences such as uneven brightness and tints from a naked Cree LED.

As a result of this, there is a "dark ring" in the P1D CE's beam while you shoot it on the snow-white wall. As a matter of fact, it is just a visual illusion as per our testing and objective analysis. In according to the test, the flux from the center spot increased gradually, but that growth will slow down when close to the center spot. Meanwhile, the Cree LED's tint changes slightly and deceives our eyes and it forms a beingless ring.

In addition, our current optical design is mainly safeguarding the P1D CE to have strongest light-condensing ability and maximum lumens. If we lower our requesting standard in light focusing, we could reduce this ringy visual illusion. But we must carry on further evaluation to test if this is good for the life lighting.

**4sevens note: I could not find a dip in lux readings dispite seeing
the ring. However I think Fenix hit the nail on the head about the
tint variation causing the illusion. :)

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
I see no pictures, just [X] [X]

Same here.

I don't think Fenix has to defend themselves when it comes to the "dark ring" around the hotspot. It doesn't bother me at all when in actual use. It will most likely bother you If you are either just shining your lights at a wall and not actually using them or if you are OCD and everything MUST be perfect.
The amount of light that comes out of the P1D CE is nothing short of amazing! On medium it is brighter than anything else I have (other than Incans), and on high it compares to some of my brightest lights, which are much larger than the P1D CE.

47's

You sold an awesome product and got it here as quick as you could. A+ to you! Now I am just waiting for the next Fenix Cree, which will hopefully be a 1AA model with 3 levels of brightness going on in this order: Low,Medium,High.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can they do a MOP finish on the existing reflector and show us how the beamshot compares to stock?

The XR-E definitely needs smoothing.

LouRoy

Enlightened
Way too much has been made about the rings in the beam of the P1D CE. Yes, they are visible on a white wall. But take it out into the field and they are not visible at all. They have absolutely no affect on the beam or usefulness of this light in the real world. Kudos to all involved in producing this VERY BRIGHT light!!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens,

With all due respect, sir....all of the engineers and scinetific testing is worthless to me. There is still one glaring issue that makes the P1D-CE the least usefull light in my collection. There is no way you will be able to post away this terrible failure.

That failure is: Mine is still on pre-order. LOL! I can't wait! From everything I read, this light is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for for a non-keychain back-up light. It will likely out-throw my main EDC light, on high.

Rando

Enlightened
smokelaw1 said:
4Sevens,

With all due respect, sir....all of the engineers and scinetific testing is worthless to me. There is still one glaring issue that makes the P1D-CE the least usefull light in my collection. There is no way you will be able to post away this terrible failure.

That failure is: Mine is still on pre-order. LOL! I can't wait! From everything I read, this light is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for for a non-keychain back-up light. It will likely out-throw my main EDC light, on high.

:lolsign:

X Racer

Enlightened
I have no problems with the ring on any of the XR-E lights I have gotten. I believe it is some kind of illusion, maybe because of a tint variation.

The only problem with the new Fenix seems to be the loose threads.

javafool

Enlightened
I have been using my P1D CE every evening since it arrived and the beam is functionally *excellent* for my outdoor needs. Reading CPF last night I finally had to shine my CE on a wall to see if the rings actually existed since I had not even noticed them in actual use. No issue at all to me.

I think Fenix should be proud of the overall beam on this flashlight. The (loose) threads are a bit of a pain because my light often flickers directly to high when I trun it on. SOS is useless to me. My two minor complaints take this light from an A+ all the way down to an A or maybe A-.

GREAT flashlight overall in my personal opinion!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::)

Mine has a dark oval ring around the corona as I walk down the sidewalk. I don't buy the illusion cop-out.

I would prefer it not be there . I hope they continue working trying to remove it from visual perception .

It may be considered acceptable or tolerable ..... but really ..... wouldn't you rather it not be there ????

This is not what I thought a Cree would be ..... the brightness is great ...... but keep working , please .

( I know my opinion is not popular ) ......... TooManyGizmos/:grin2:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rings on the P1D CE don't bother me. I have way worst rings with luxeon lights like my 1st generation VB-16.

dsc03677smallkr2.jpg

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
But Guys ....... how about some improvement as we go along .

Don't continue to consider mediocre as an acceptable standard .

We were all expecting Cree to be a vast improvement .

In brightness it is ............... but thu rings gotta go .

................. TMG/:grin2:

Last edited:

javafool

Enlightened
TooManyGizmos said:
But Guys ....... how about some improvement as we go along .

Don't continue to consider mediocre as an acceptable standard .

We were all expecting Cree to be a vast improvement .

In brightness it is ............... but thu rings gotta go .

................. TMG/:grin2:

I do *not* consider the beam mediocre. The combination of throw, beam diameter and sidespill are ideal for what I need in a flashlight, but that is what I personally desire. The rings in my light are not distracting in the least when I am out in the yard or walking. The strobe is a real attention getter when oncoming cars approach and quite visable when pointed forward at the pavement.

The slop in the threads are an inconvenience to me and I will never use the SOS mode. It sure is a lot more flashlight in a smaller, lighter, package at a lower price than the HDS I bought at closeout prices.

Terry

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some LOP reflector lights?

P1D with a LOP Reflector would be kool :)

That's only area where Fenix apparently is laking behind....

Premium lights should have those sort of reflectors.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, rings gotta go. Smooth it out, widen the hotspot. See if more omph can be put in the spill beam...and wider...Wall of light. Hopefully the AA Cree will be more smooth.

High powered sports car...that lost the handling when the more powerfull motor was dropped in. Back to the reflector drawing boards mates.