New LED light for a Police Officer

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I am after a single cell 123A LED light for a police officer friend. This light is intended as a backup. Living in the UK, I have narrowed the choice down to 2, Inova's T1 and Ledwave's X11. Any thoughts on these.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello HeadCSO:)

Today are brighter lights with longer runtime at the market. Take a look to the Fenix P1D-CE. Great single CR123 light.

Best regards

____
Tom

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
What about a Surefire E1L?

If it's going to be a backup light, I'd say you want something that you can leave in your car or on your belt and not have to worry about.

You can get it for $76.90 from OpticsHQ after the member discount and the CPF5 coupon. (I just pretended to buy one to see how much it'd be.)

It might be a little much for what you're asking, but I think it'd be worth the extra $.

:) john

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
My huntlight FT-02xj is a pretty darn bright light..around $50....you also get an extra body to use 2 AA batteries.

cdosrun

Enlightened
My P1D-CE has just arrived and I would recommend that quite strongly if it is to be a backup light (where a click switch isn't required). The older P1 is a bit cheaper and still a really good torch.

Have no fear in ordering from David at www.fenix-store.com his service is absolutely excellent and the free delivery from the States only normally takes a few days.

Andrew

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
I'm a P.O. I always carry two lights, and use a Fenix L2P mostly, which I find excellent for dark alleyways and buildings where the lights are out. I can recommend it. I know you have specified a 123a light, so maybe some of their range will suit. I also have a nuwai q3, but it's not used now I have the fenix. The price of batteries here, you know....

cdosrun

Enlightened
Sideswipe is spot on with the cost of 123a batteries in the UK. Maplin do a rechargeable 3v one http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=RECHARGEABLE%20LITHIUM%20ION&ModuleNo=46261&doy=30m12 - it is pretty expensive and not terribly high capacity but I just stick mine on charge most nights.

www.7dayshop.co.uk is about the cheapest I know of for the primaries.

Is the recipient going to be good at keeping rechargeables full, or will they be using primaries? If the latter (and the light will see frequent use), definately go with sideswipe's suggestion of a AA light (the Fenix L1T is still quite small).

Andrew

martonic

Enlightened
Check out the Lumapower D-Mini. It's a single 123A light that takes RCR123 for savings, includes both clicky and tactical on/off options for one-hand operation, and is very bright (Cree!) with superb throw - it should be ideal for police work.

martonic

Enlightened
The VB-16 is another good one - it takes either two 123's or a single rechargeable 18650, is slender and easy to pocket, is bright with good throw, and has a terrific UI.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Thank you to everyone who has replied. Finally found a Fenix stockist in the UK. The L1T is looking very interesting as it runs on an AA battery. What type of beam does this torch have, spot or flood. Recommended ?

Meduza

Enlightened
I love my new L1T, it got quite a spot with a resonably bright spill, not a thrower but not a flooder either :)

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid I can't help with the beam on the L1T, the beam on the L1P is a nice spot with plenty of spill. Out of interest, which UK supplier of Fenix have you found?

HeadCSO

Enlightened
sideswipe said:
I'm afraid I can't help with the beam on the L1T, the beam on the L1P is a nice spot with plenty of spill. Out of interest, which UK supplier of Fenix have you found?

www.glowgadgets.co.uk

They don't stock much, but it is the only UK company I can find.

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
It might be worth looking at a US supplier, I hear good things about Lighthound etc on here. £30 plus p+P seems a bit steep, you might find an import pays. I was lucky enough to pick up a L2p in here from someone in the UK.

Timson

Enlightened
Forget looking for a UK dealer....If you plump for a Fenix, shop here.
You'll have it in your hands in 5 days and it'll cost less than any UK dealer.

I have an L1P and a P1D-CE which rocks :rock: and is much brighter than the AA sized L1P.

If it's intended as a back-up light, I shouldn't worry about using CR123's (You can buy em for as little as $1 each)

Tim.