bushfire in sydney

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
2 days ago, yesterday and today in sydney, we still got bushfire (big one, that never happend before in 10 years).
it is a disaster, i took several photos , you can see its like a volcano eruption!.
shocked.gif

This one is on the north side, as you cans see, city is smoked out.
if you open your window, and your apartment will be smelly of smoke.
1.JPG

2.JPG

And this one on the west side.
13.jpg

erm 1 more thing that interest you, that the power in sydney is interrupted these days.
lights are blitzing... on and off...

if blackout is happening, AT LAST! i could be a hero in this "never blackout city"

im sorry i cant tell you more, because english is my second language.
smile.gif

i hope no one get hurt in this disaster.

ok, i think thats all, got to go to KMART to buy more battery!

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Mod - move to appropriate forum.

Yes, in case you haven't heard (American media doesn't cover much outside of US cos the other 205 countries of the world don't matter) I can attest to the severity of these fires.

I went up to Faukland Reserve in Kings Park yearterday near where I live and I could see from the top of the hill huge black plumes of smoke rising from the north, north east and south of here (western 'burbs). It's somewhat worrying seeing the red sun at 3pm, choking on the smoky air all night trying to sleep, etc.

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Onyx:
Yes, in case you haven't heard (American media doesn't cover much outside of US cos the other 205 countries of the world don't matter) ..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Didn't make the papers here. Whitney Houston's drug confession was much more important.
You should consult our President GW Bush about how to prevent these fires. He came up with a dandy solution for our forest fires. More clear cutting. If there aren't any trees, there won't be any fires!! Pure genius. And to think, that Canadian bureaucrat called him a moron.
BTW, Our enlightened leader also came up with a solution to the terrorist problem
Problem: "The terrorists hate us for our freedom"
Solution: Lets get rid of our freedom! Wah Lah! Problem solved.
Boy, I sure misunderestimated our Pres.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I saw a segment about it on the BBC.
Nope I don't think the US media will be showing too much about this.

If they could somehow link it to terrorism that would be a different story in fact I saw another clip recently claiming that Al Queda cells were operating in Australia, maybe this is what GW Bush meant when he said about hunting them down and smoking them out.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry I don't mean to make fun of the situation down there. I just hope no one gets hurt.

Grummond.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
There was a piece on CNN about it. Bad stuff! Said that at least 20 houses (near or in Sydney) had been burned...showed several shots/clips.

It wasn't the #1 story, but it was and is being covered. As far as world politics goes, we know what that one is.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Good thing the temps are a bit lower than usual over this weekend. 20 houses destroyed sounds about right. Also main highways in/out of Sydney to the north is shut off. You could see the big rigs lined up for miles on 2 of the 3 lanes like a giant parking lot.

1 life lost so far - a 71 yr old in a caravan in the middle of nowhere (well he was somewhere, but you know what I mean)

An 18 yr old has been charged with deliberately lighting one of the fires, that nearly destroyed his own home (in Holsworthy area, south of the city). He was with a group of "friends" on a bike ride and asked if they would like to see him "start a bushfire". He is reported to be intellectually disabled, so I guess taxpayers pick up the damages tab, and he and his family can go on feeling sorry for themselves.