Brightest 10cm torch??

pakto

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

what an amazing forum. Loving it so far. I have done some reading but I am just not sure if I have all the infor to select the right torch for me.

I need something that is approx 10cm long.
click action
shine a long way (good throw)
comes with a belt pouch
durable
good battery life (it will be my go-to torch)
and super bright!!!

From my reading, the Coast LED Lenser seems very impressive, and is No.1 on my list at the moment. That is also what my MAX budget is.

I do have a 4 D-cell Maglite which I am planning to mod to be my show off torch.

I am in Australia also, so might have to ask questions about where to get them from.

thanks.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I'm going to just recommend a couple lights right off the bat, but these are just preliminary:

-Fenix L2T: Available at fenix-store.com (worldwide free shipping), bright, durable, good runtime, two levels, clickie... Here's a review.
-MinimagLED 2AA: Focusable, bright, and cheaper than the L2T. Here's a review. If you can't find it in Australia, a US CPFer will be glad to send you one.

I'm guessing that you didn't read about LEDLenser (/Coast/Zweibruder/Eddie Bauer/etc.) here on CPF. They're generally held in very poor regard. Just search for "coast," and you'll find out why.

There are multiple models of LEDLenser, so that doesn't really say what the budget is.

Bottom line: forget about the Coast, read the reviews linked above (plus a few more, hopefully! :) ), and pick a popular light. You'll likely be very happy with your purchase.

Oh, and welcome to CPF.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L2T is best when considering runtime + brightness, but longer than the 10 cm.

Fenix L1T with a 14500 Li-Ion comes to mind.
Very bright, runtime about 45 mins on high and a bit over 2 hours on low (which, actually, is also bright)

...or the Fenix "S" models: cheaper, a bit less bright, better runtime
also the 2 levels[/] without any actual led light is more than outdated

pakto

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Pakto, Tigerlight was referring to the Minimag LED which is better than the one you are referring to. Some good suggestions so far.

Rob187

Enlightened
My advice is unless you need a light right now, don't buy anything until the the market for LED lights has settled and some major manufacturers come out with their new models incorporating the new Cree LEDs. It is a time of great progress in the torch industry and as with all tech industries, you have to buy at some point but I would hold off for a couple of months and then pick up something from an established brand.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello pakto and welcome to CPF:)

Take a look to the Fenix L1D-CE. It's the light you are looking for and veeery bright.:)

(Forget LedLenser:thumbsdow)

Best regards

____
Tom

pakto

Newly Enlightened
I am actually getting quite excited over the Fenix P1D-CE which seems to have this Cree LED that everyone rave about. $70 is a little pricey, but..... worth it???

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
pakto said:
I am actually getting quite excited over the Fenix P1D-CE which seems to have this Cree LED that everyone rave about. $70 is a little pricey, but..... worth it???

Yes, worth every cent. But without a clickie you are requests. For this I recommend the L1D-CE, also with the same Cree and clickie. Same brightness with 1x14500 cell.

Best regards

____
Tom

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
The P1D-CE will absolutely amaze you with it's output in comparison to your AA mini maglite. If you use the figures from Flashlightreviews.com your AA maglite has a Throw figure of 884 and an overall output of 580 now when you compare this to the P1D-CE which has a throw figure on high of 2700 and an overall output of 7850 you can see that they are barely worth comparing to one another. Another consideration is the the Fenix lights output will be regulated so the light will remain fairly constant for the life of the battery while your Mini Mag is not regulated so it will gradually dim as you use the light.