It's Janurary 7, northeast of Boston...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it's 69 degrees outside with over-the-top humidity. I have two pairs of snow shoes, one pair of skis, and five snowblowers (two belong to a friend who needed repairs) that now don't seem to be worth the space they're taking up.

This is nuts.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The weather here has been amazing also. I just went outside without a jacket and I was comfortable. I feel a little badly for the ski slope operators but generally I'm not complaining!

rugbymatt

Enlightened
67 degrees on Long Island, Wow. For once my wife is not complaing about the cold and asking to move to the Carolinas. Thank you El Nino.

Empath

Flashaholic
It's only January 6 in Oregon, and the rest of the nation. Even though I don't live in Boston, I'd like to voice a vote against this moving Boston time across the International Date Line. It's probably what screwed up the weather. :rant:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
A friend of mine who is thinking of retiring to Florida in a few years said if this weather keeps up he could just stay in New York.

While there may be advantages to a milder winter what I'm really dreading is how hot the spring and summer will be if these trends continue. I hate summer as it is. I'll really dread it if we have strings of 100 degree days.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
Empath said:
It's only January 6 in Oregon, and the rest of the nation. Even though I don't live in Boston, I'd like to voice a vote against this moving Boston time across the International Date Line. It's probably what screwed up the weather. :rant:

Maybe its another one of those time warp threads and this thread won't really start until tomorrow. :laughing:

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
Empath said:

I thought he was forecasting, not reporting. ;)

DK

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
powernoodle said:
The National Weather Service says that El Nino (5-7 year reoccurant region of warm pacific water) is helping to push the jet stream north, allowing warmer temps to temporarily move north as well.

It may help also explain why record snowfall buried Anchorage, Alaska on January 3.

cheers
Hey that's us alright! (well not us specifically in the story - but me as in really tired of shoveling & snow blowing tons of snow!!! [Did I say TONS?! :ohgeez: YES!] Talk about hitting close to home - oh wait, that IS home!

Count us as the 22" (actually a little more than that!) on top of what we already had - I've got 5' in my yard! Yes, the Anchorage Police said every 6 minutes they had vehicles in ditches/distress/stuck & every 10 minutes a collision. We stayed home for 2 days!

Now the snow is deep, avalanche danger is extreme - but it's beautiful!! It's so peaceful & quiet when it snows like that - really nice!! Digging out sucks though, but makes life an adventure!

We'll make up for it in July when I'm on top of a mountain or fishing at 11:30 at night while bathing in daylight!!

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's 80 where I am in south Florida and it's been in the 80's every day for weeks now. We had one little cold wave come thru in November for a few days, other than that it feels like summer never left and fall/winter never even got started.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
well know you know what we feel like in kansas all the past years. last cristmas i was riding my knew bike without a jacket on. now it is 10F and 3 feet of snow and 100 of our cows are dead.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
71 degrees here today (northwest of Boston) and it makes me nervous. I recall it just barely punching thru 60 before in January but nothing like this.

MikeF

Enlightened
Missing the cold? Come to Denver. We have had three fairly large snowstorms on each of the last three Fridays, and they are forcasting another storm this coming Thursday-Friday. A total of 49.2 inches at the "official" Denver Stapleton gauging station, and 93.1 inches in Evergreen, a few miles west of Denver, in the mountains. The mounds beside my driveway are close to 5 feet deep, and there was just a massive avalanche on Berthoud Pass, 60 miles west of Denver on the Continental Divide. It knocked two cars off the road, and eight people were in the cars. They had minor injuries. All of the patients except one were treated and released, and one person admitted to the hospital.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/10685152/detail.html

If you go to Google Earth and at this Latitude/Longitude (39 46 34.62 N 105 48 05.2 W) you can make out the Avalanche Chutes where the slide crossed the US-40. This is one of many areas where in heavy snow years they use a 105mm recoil-less rifle to start the avalanches for controlling the time they slide, rather than as random events.

Last edited:

MikeF

Enlightened
benchmade_boy said:
mikef- ypu super cold here, and we are ecpecting another snow storm on next thursday.

Here in Denver, we got some very slight melting today so we cleaned off the driveway and sidewalks again. My son has definately learned how to use a snow shovel. He feels cheated however because he was on Christmas vacation and we had several days that would have been snow days from school. My work truck has four studded snow tires, and although it is 2wd, it has been doing very well getting around. The major roads are fairly clear, with the side roads and residential streets more challenging.