Questions About SureFire M4 Or Similar

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I want to mount a bright, far-throwing light on a bolt-action hunting rifle. I was thinking of getting the SureFire M98, but it is pretty spendy:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/135/prrfnbr/24215

It would be nice to have the light to use as a flashlight when it is not on the gun. I was thinking maybe I can get an M4 instead, with a tape switch. Will an M4 stand up to the recoil? The head on the M98 looks the same as the M4.

The light will be mounted on the front of the stock, next to the barrel. I will switch it on for maybe up to one minute at a time using a tape swich on the back of the stock, where my supporting hand is. The idea is that I see something, light it up long enough to identify and shoot it, and then I am done with the light.

How far does an M4 with HOLA throw anyway? Would anyone with an M4 and a pair of binoculars maybe be so kind as to take a peek through their binos in conjunction with the light and tell me what they think? My scope is 3.5-17x with a 44mm objective.

I also have an M3 that I don't use too much. It would be nice to convert that to am M4/M98 equivalent if possible. Is this doable? Where would I get the parts?

Any thoughts?

Scott

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
an M4 WILL stand up to the reciol. or you can buy an KT-4 and anMN15 and MN16 for your m3 to make an m3T. i have herd the ther eis really no differnce in the throw just hor white/bright the light is. i personaly think my m3t has great throw. i can look through my 10x23 binculars and see about 200 yards out with my m3t. if you have a scope on you rifle you can get an accerioe rail for your scope then put scope rings around the light and the thumbscrew mount on the accesorie rail. it works great.

i hope this helps!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. That helps.

I shoot in a field that is 600 yards across, so that is my maximum range.

Where does a guy get an XM tape switch with around 24" of cord?

Scott

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
Thanks. That helps.

I shoot in a field that is 600 yards across, so that is my maximum range.

Where does a guy get an XM tape switch with around 24" of cord?

Scott
you sure you need that much length? that is a whole heck of a lot.

i would contact steven at www.tacticalsupply.com he can get the xm with the 7 inch standard for about $96.00 then you may have to talk to him but i think the longest you can get is somthing like 12in. also if you are shooting acroos a draw then 600 yards is no problem with seeing the target. but if you are shooting flat, i dont know.

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shoot off a support from prone (on my stomach). My trigger hand is dedicated to the trigger. My off hand supports the butt of the stock while shooting. The light will be on a section of picatinny rail at the front of the forend. So the switch cord needs to run all the way from the light back to my support hand. I don't want the game to take off before I can shoot when the light comes on, so a clicky is out.

If needs be, I'll get someone to extend the cord for me.

Basically I can see shadows through my scope. I just need the light to make a positive ID and see the crosshairs.

Scott

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
I shoot off a support from prone (on my stomach). My trigger hand is dedicated to the trigger. My off hand supports the butt of the stock while shooting. The light will be on a section of picatinny rail at the front of the forend. So the switch cord needs to run all the way from the light back to my support hand. I don't want the game to take off before I can shoot when the light comes on, so a clicky is out.

If needs be, I'll get someone to extend the cord for me.

Basically I can see shadows through my scope. I just need the light to make a positive ID and see the crosshairs.

Scott
ok i get you know. but two questions why not do as i said and get an accesorie ring for your scope(about 20-30bucks) then put the light on the scope. there will be no shodow as long as you get it in front of the scope about a little less than an inch. also why dony you use a bi-pod? they are great. i recomend a harris bi-pod, at least thats what i use.

also i asked steven from tactical supply to chim in and see what he can get.

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a Wolfeye's M90X, great light and much better price. The M100X has a larger bezel for more throw. You could pick up the M90X with the M100 bezel.

M90X

M100X

nzgunnie

Enlightened
You can always get a single cell extender for your M3, a turbo head, and an MN61 lamp (M4 HOLA). It would be cheaper than buying a whole M4.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I usually shoot off my backpack, but I do have a Harris bipod too. The bipod jumps around a bit when I shoot. I can see the impact better off a pack.

My scope is a U.S. Optics SN-3 with a 34mm tube, so rings are pretty expensive. Also it has 4 knobs (windage, elevation, focus, and lit reticle). Adding a light as long as an M3 or M4 causes some issues. The leverage on the mount screws starts to get pretty high, say, if the rifle fell over. Landing on the scope, which is close to the mount, is one thing, but landing on that big turbo head so far away from the mount would cause me to worry. Optically up high is a better place, but I would hate to snap the mounting screws in a tip-over accident. Uh . . . not that I have ever tipped over my rifle . . .

I am having the gunsmith install a section of rail on the forend to I can clamp the thing down front and back. I like the M4 (or equivalent) idea more and more. I think the body is 1.00" outside diameter (?) which would be perfect for common scope rings. That way I can catch brush, have it fall over, etc. without concern.

The M3 -> M4 via extender looks like a good idea.

Scott

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
now that you explained it i know what you are talking about. man you have a big,expensive, powerful scope. but i do think the m3-m4 is the way to go just make sure that the turbo head isnt going to hit the barrel.

BTW what the heck are you shooting at?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be shooting coyote mostly.

You can use a night vision scope here, but the problem with thise (so I've heard) is range. You can't see much and it is at low magnification. My USO scope does great by moonlight, except that I can't make out the target very well. With a light, and maybe a red filter, I think it will outperform a night vision device handily.

Yes, the scope is huge and expensive! This gun is several years in the making, my "once and for all" long range/hunting rifle. Basically where other guys have a bunch of guns, I just have a few. But it will be just what I want when I am done.

The scope is really nice though. After using it I think I would rather eat ramen for a year than buy something lesser.

Scott

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hhmmm, one nice thing about some night vision is that i wont give you a hefty fine through. i dont know where you live but i would highly advise in looking in the local laws. at least here it is ileagal to shoot with an ilumination divice but you can use a night vision as far as taking game goes cyote bobcat and other predators.

also on the red filter, you might try it but i dont think it would reach out 600yds like you want. i have never tryed a filter with my turbo head but i have a feeling it might diffuse it and not reach out there very far.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I will have to double check, but I believe I am ok legally. You can't do it for big game, but for small game it is a different story. You can do lots of things for small game that would land you in jail for big game. I am in western WA.

Scott

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok great. i try and help our local fish and game whenever i can so i didnt want to see a fellow cpfer comet a crime that i try and help prevent. anyway think of all the light you could get with a 1000 dollar fine:laughing:

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
I can get you that tailcap and switch, but you would have to have someone modify the cord as I don't know of anyone making one that long.

Nice setup you have there

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the switch and approximate setup I am looking at:
lights108gb5.jpg

Of course, mine is a bolt gun, not an auto.

I don't remember where I got the pic, but I think it is from Size15s' pk-e hosted site.

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup that the XM switch but it comes standard with a 7 inch cable. you can get it from steven that sight is in my sigline you type in CPF20 and it comes to somthing like 96.00 it think. me and my freind are thinking about geting one for his m3t.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this vague recollection of a conversation with SureFire about the cord. I think you cannot order the switch (or maybe the M98 light) with anything other than the 7" cord. However, I think you can order the plug/cord/tape switch separately in longer lengths up to maybe 36" or something like that.

Scott