Bought an A2 Aviator today

magpie

Newly Enlightened
bought it of ebay mainly because I knew if i bought a new one i wouldnt use it.

mainly got it to use as an EDC ....think I may be becoming a flashaholic now have 2 surefires:grin2: .

also another reason i think i may be becoming addicted is i have more lights than i can really use....is that a sign too?

reason for getting the A2 was it seems to be a well liked and respected flashlight (torch here in the U.K) especially with its regulation and intuitive features.

have a couple of Qs for the A2 experts.

the one i bought has green leds was wondering if the leds are easily changed as i think the white would be best for my purposes.

is the A2 a bit large for an EDC or is it manageable.

Thanks in advance for any information given...john (rapidly becoming a flashaholic)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED ring can be easily changed out with simple tools if you can find a new LED ring from someone. I don't know think Surefire is selling them separately but someone else may. I have not tried changing out the LEDs themselves.

I like the A2 as an EDC. Try to find a MagLite minimag pouch with the velcro flap over the top. Fits perfectly.

http://www.maglite.com/product_acc.asp?id=263537459837548&plc=AACELL&psc=2AACELL

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw SF's ehad quarters display cases and needless to say if you edc a light SF makes fruckin small super bright lights, I didn't even realize how small the L series was until I saw them they are practically pathetic. I edc my U2 so an A2 woudl be like a balloon in my pocket also I edc a surge so I don't mind heavy stuff.

Illum

Flashaholic
Im assuming that carrot, greenled, etc CPF personel did not intervene during and prior to the purchase?:huh::whistle:

leds are permanent as they come, sure modding is possible and theres been a couple threads on this...however it will void the Surefire Warranty and I would preferably avoid that.:)

other thing, A2s probably the most compact and versatile EDC I know of.:rock: Aside from the 5 stage tailcap capability and the non-dimming incandescent regulation drivers its a pretty solid light, like its Surefire brothers:grin2:...just remember to lube the threads every 6 months or so depending on use it shouldn't give you any problems. its design offered balanced weight [no heavy bezels] and ease of use as the low rise clip does not interfere with single hand deployment or storage in moderately tight spaces. I consider it as a work of art rather than a flashlight:ohgeez:

My personal experience with the A2 as EDC it successfully put scratches on my inova XO3, another HA-III light, so I wouldnt worry about your keys or other metal objects from damaging it... my A2 [whom carrot convinced me to...O.T.] has eaten through a couple pockets and a few wallets, so when edcing it...watch what else you put in the same pocket.:lolsign:

hope this helps :thumbsup: :wave:

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
John,

Embrace flashaholism! There's no point in resistance!
grinser2.gif

I find the A2 easy to EDC in my pockets, though like Illum_the_nation, the light has eaten through two pockets and a wallet. Quickbeam's suggestion of a pouch or holster is a good one.

Here are two threads that may be of interest to you:

The A2 Tune-up thread
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100819&highlight=tune

Dummy's Guide to modding the A2's LEDs
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92993&highlight=a2

Enjoy your A2.

luigi

Enlightened
The A2 is a marvel, you will love the light for EDC.
About the LEDs please consider that green LEDs have a lot of interesting properties, to begin with green is the color that the eyes see better so at equal intensity green will look brighter than white.
When you use green light to illuminate everything turns green and that is the color where the eyes can see most shades so green is a very good color to see details that can even be missed under white light.

You can check this simple article I wrote to learn about green LEDs.
http://edcreviews.blogspot.com/2006/11/special-feature-on-leds-and-colors.html

Luigi

greenLED

Flashaholic
magpie said:
the one i bought has green leds was wondering if the leds are easily changed as i think the white would be best for my purposes.

is the A2 a bit large for an EDC or is it manageable.

You won't find spare LED rings anywhere, but Milkyspit can help you replace the stock LED's with whatever you like (or you can do it yourself following AuroraLite's thread). Just be aware that doing a LED transplant will void your warranty.

Sounds like you've already decided white is best for your purpose, but check this thread out for more options - there are even several "flavors" of white LED's.

As far as your second question goes... *you* are the only one who can determine whether the A2 is the right size for you or not. We all have different carry methods, needs, pocket sizes, hand sizes, etc. Personally, I have no problem carrying the A2 clipped to my pockets, or inside my backpack, but it's not the light I EDC.

carrot

Flashaholic
Congrats on your new purchase. Don't feel bad about (ab)using the A2; it's a real workhorse and inexpensive for a light that is guaranteed to give you a lifetime of service. It's also my favorite light. :)

ScooterBug

Enlightened
i have been wanting one of these for a long time and finally bought one. mine has the yellow/green led's. i got those just to be different. i plan to use it as EDC.:grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Congrats on your new purchase. Don't feel bad about (ab)using the A2; it's a real workhorse and inexpensive for a light that is guaranteed to give you a lifetime of service. It's also my favorite light. :)

Ah, carrot's here, lemme introduce you to the A2 nut that enlightened me....carrot's right, aside from using it as a hammer and dropping it concrete from 2 stories up...it'll last pretty long:grin2:

Arkayne

Enlightened
rcashel11 said:
John,

Embrace flashaholism! There's no point in resistance!
grinser2.gif

I find the A2 easy to EDC in my pockets, though like Illum_the_nation, the light has eaten through two pockets and a wallet. Quickbeam's suggestion of a pouch or holster is a good one.

Here are two threads that may be of interest to you:

The A2 Tune-up thread
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100819&highlight=tune

Dummy's Guide to modding the A2's LEDs
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92993&highlight=a2

Enjoy your A2.

Don't forget about the dip thread! :)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/search.php?searchid=1946981

Last edited:

The Voice of Reason

Newly Enlightened
To all CPF'ers - you are all *******s!!!

So says my wife...
lolsign.gif
just after I told her that I also purchased a new A2 today...

Can't wait to get it. I have read just about everything I could on the A2. I read with great amusement and astonishment some of the first posts about boycotting the thing back in mid 2002.

Goodness! If ever a light has generated such polarised debate, it's got to be the A2.

I think it will be a fascinating toy to marvel at - I am approaching it on the basis of its versatility and subtlety, rather than on the basis of its numbers and stats alone.

However, it might prove to be the most expensive light I ever purchased (once you include the fees for the divorce attorneys!)
touche.gif

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I've had an a2 for a while, and it was truly amazing. I really like incans, and having a regulated one was heaven. I also really liked the way the low output LEDs work. I am certainly going to own one sooner or later.

Congratulations to those of you buying them.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we are on the A2, can someone tell me how long does the incan last for practical usage? I read somewhere that the lifespan is around 30hours? is this correct? I have 2 surefires and both are LEDs.
I mainly use these lights for oil/gas maintenance maintenance/checking where it does get knock around and dropped on checkered plate platforms, railings etc, would these frequent knockes induce damage to the A2?
Thanks for your advice.

carrot

Flashaholic
A 30 hour lifespan is reasonable to expect from the MA02 lamp assembly. I have, however, heard reports of the MA02 lasting longer than that.

Personally I have dropped my A2 multiple times and had it holstered while riding roller coasters, and all I can say is the bulb still works.