Now THIS is a computer screen.

K A

Enlightened
Hmm. Not one big monitor though. Looks like two monitors put together as I could see a seam down the middle. Nice setup either way though.

St8kout

Newly Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
That is pretty cool. It looks kinda scripted though, as if all of the moves have been set up ahead of time.

Click on the link there to the story. The military shelled out six figures to be one of his clients. He's definitely on his way.

No doubt it takes some serious cpu/graphic horsepower as can be seen the way those 3D maps move and expand. I tried one of those 3D earth programs (Las Vegas) Microsoft released which is based on their flight simulator, and even using minimum details, I could only change viewing angles on 'The Strip' about once every 30 seconds to keep from crashing my system. He probably has something like a water-cooled quad array of Geforce 8800 GTX cards.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's some good "human engineering." Touch screens and big monitors are nothing new... the interface looks intuitive and very useable. Curious to see what consumer products this turns into.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... very cool. However that needs some serious graphic computing power to do all this in real time. Probably be a couple of years before computers are fast enough to do real time rendering in that size.
However intuitive user interface... but its seems to be somewhat exhausting if you're doing this for an entire day...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Personally, I find that interface anything but intuitive. It takes him a long time and a lot of energy to do what I can do with a mouse in just a few inches of space.

Personally, I'd rather click and drag instead of step forward and spread my hands. I imagine it's hard to transition from typing to touching the screen.

Just my opinion.

Daniel

bitslammer

Enlightened
gadget_lover said:
Personally, I find that interface anything but intuitive. It takes him a long time and a lot of energy to do what I can do with a mouse in just a few inches of space.

Personally, I'd rather click and drag instead of step forward and spread my hands. I imagine it's hard to transition from typing to touching the screen.

Just my opinion.

Daniel

Imagine the screen being a flat "placemat" like device lying on your desk. You'd just trace your fingers across the surface. As for typing if you watch closely they call up anon screen keyboard at one point. Touchscreen keyboards are common now. I can see a desk version of this where you'd have 2 panels on your worksurface. One flat, and one tilted upright.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty cool.....but is it useful :) and I though my 37" screen was big.....

I think I'd rather sit down when using my computer :)

Mac

PB92

Newly Enlightened
You will need some really comfortable shoes...........

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
None of this is pre-rendered and the graphics capabilities are fully available right now and has been for some time. Those 3D graphics are NOTHING special. Any modern computer with a half-way decent, not even remotely top of the line 3D card can do what they show in that video. What is unique about this is that they're using a touch screen system that responds to touch simultaneously in multiple locations. The iPhone is using a system developed by the same guys, if I'm not mistaken. The first videos of these kinds of systems showed up online atleast a year ago, if not two years.