modded streamlight keymate, etc. for girlfriend?

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend wants a small keychain light. The P1D CE I have on my keychain is way too big for her and she likes the keymate I have (so cute she says) and I have a ton of button cells. The keymate is modded with a 2nd generation MJLED. My question is would the newer SMJLED be a lot brighter to mod it with or how about the newer photons too since they are about same size as keymate? It is funny because I think of my modded keymate as nothing now but it still rocks compared to stock solitaire.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think that the KeyMate modded is a much under rated and overlooked light for the price for someone who doesn't mind buying the cells in bulk to have on hand and has the patience to replace them when needed. The SMJ is considerably brighter than the MJ, but for a non flashaholic, I doubt that they'd notice the difference. I'm guessing that what she likes about it is that it "looks" like a "real" flashlight, but in miniature.

The newest generation Photons (with the Nicha CS) won't be quite as bright, but are much smaller and lighter than the Keymate. There are mixed reviews about the Freedom - I have a couple and love them, but probably wouldn't recommend them for a non flashaholic for serious keychain carry, b/c they have a tendency to get turned on accidently. For that footprint, I'd choose the II or a clone with a Nicha CS.

You didn't mention my choice, so I will - an ARC AAA P. Very long running, uses a very common cell, type III annodize, very good general use brightness and beam pattern, smaller diameter than the Keymate and only >5/16" longer, and if you use a lithium AAA cell - it weighs almost half of what the Keymate weighs.

thunderlight

Enlightened
You also might want to look at the new Gerber Sonic with recessed led. Also uses single AAA battery, durable, small, and good performance.