2 AA Lights are Too Long to EDC

Bearcat

Enlightened
I have been giving a lot of thought on my next light. I hunt, fish, and camp a lot and would like to holster a light on my belt like I do my Buck folding hunting knife, but the 2 AA lights are just too long, but I like their longer run-times. So, I think the solution would be is to get a 1 AA light and find a holster that would carry an extra spare battery. This way, I would have the extra run-time if needed and have it in a more compact package.

Has anyone ever done this and where could I find a holster to fit one of these new 1 AA Cree lights plus a spare battery? Surely I am not the first to think of doing this, because it is just too logical and practical.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NiteIze MiniM@G holster holds up to two spare cells in a specialy designed compartment, also the Fenix L1D fits perfectly into the holster

Evan

Enlightened
I'd like to see more side-by-side 2-AA configurations. Side-by-side, even a 4-AA light could be pocketable. I guess there is some economic reason that just about all lights are a tube with light coming out of one end; but these 3-AA lights stacked end-to-end almost look silly.

I'd also like a 1-D light; it would be cheaper to operate for long periods, or might be good in an application like the flashlight for the car, where long term bad storage conditions may take a lot out of the battery before it gets used.

If you made a light shaped like a lump of clay squeezed in your hand, would it be great because it fit your palm well, or awful because it only fit your palm in exactly one way?

We need more creative packageing for lights.

Vickers

Enlightened
I recently bought a 2AA light from Deal Extreme that is much more EDC-friendly (at least as far as shoving in your pocket) than any other 2AA light I have. Here is the link:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1087

It is about 1/2" shorter than a MiniMag (it's exactly as long as an Inova X0), and at its WIDEST point it is only about 1/16" bigger than the NARROWEST part of a MiniMag.

It is about as bright as a 3AA MiniMag LED; less hotspot, but wider (but slightly dimmer) spill.

I will try to post a photo later showing a comparison of the three lights I mention, but in the meantime I just want to say I love that DX light (it's called the YNKA on their site).

Vickers

Enlightened
OK, let me see if I can post a picture...from top to bottom, YNKA Ultrafire, 1986 MiniMag, Inova X0.

ultrafirecomparotw2.jpg

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA side by side is by far the best way to EDC 2 AA's.

Be nice if there was a high power LED version of such a torch

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you that a 2xAA light is a bit long to EDC in my opinion. I like to stick with my 1x123 cell lights for that....

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried out this trick at my computer as I write this. A Leatherman Charge Ti multi-tool holster would be about perfect for a Fenix L1D CE. The holster has two stretchy side pockets on either side of the main portion were the 1AA light is stored. You can put a spare battery in either side pocket or both. To get the L1D CE to fit more snugly, put the stock holster inside the Charge Ti holster and run a zip tie (cable tie) through the bottom of both holsters and another tie through the "belt loop" portions of each holster to secure them together. This will keep your light inside the holster even if you don't have the flap snapped (leather version) or velcroed down (nylon version)

The holsters cost around $5 from leatherman.com and are available in leather or nylon and allow vertical/horizontal carry.

hanshanson

Newly Enlightened
in my opinion, the length of 2AA lights are more suitable for my hand but not for EDC, so the best way is AA side by side .

x2x3x2

Banned
I suppose it depends on what your daily job is like.

Say for a subway engineer, a 2C light would be just fine probably cos light output would beat portablity convenience.

For your everyday 9-5 desk jockey, probably 1xAA, 1xCR123 or coin cell lights would be good.

Then for the flashaholic, u will need 1 of each battery type and holster to go along with them making u look like you're wearing Batman's utility belt.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AAs are about perfect for me, since I dont edc. And they are small enough to carry with when I actually need a light, and they are still not that small that they are difficult to handle in your hand, and the later 2AA leds have enough output to cover almost all nedds. But I can understand the temptation to get an 1AA-light, they are so neat!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like to hunt, fish and call game. I wear a McLux on my belt and have never regretted it. On low I have lots & lots of runtime and I use the low probably 98% of the time. It takes up hardly any room and is very reliable....goes right beside my Jerry Liarson 5160 forged knife.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
I suppose it depends on what your daily job is like.
Yes.

In regular civilian attire, a 2AA is a big blip on the geek radar. Wearing a big flashlight on a belt with a polo shirt is a very effective form of birth control.

In work clothes, hunting clothing, or BDU's, the size and appearance are non-issues.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2 AA light is too long to carry on your belt for hunting?? I have carried one on my belt hunting for close to 20 (too many years to remember exactly how many) years since I got my first minimag. It has never been in the way in the least walking sitting climbing. In fact, I have tried a one cell light and found it to be too short to remove from the belt sheath on my back hip and put back in cold weather with cold fingers, I have dropped it a number of times in the attempt.

Just goes to show how different two perceptions can be :).