Today I upgraded from a cheap chineese to L2D-CE

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Still very new to posting but have been reading a lot here. Up until 2 weeks ago I always had Mag lights as my work horse. Threy were great 20 years ago in the army and have always been a part of my household since. Several weeks ago I bouht some cheap chineese 8 led triple( AAA) lights on Ebay to have as spare in each room of the house. I was surprised how bright they were. I played with these cheapies a lot. Last weekend, I ordered the Fenix to have something of a little better quality. It came today and all I can say is OH MY GOD!

I cannot believe how light weight and bright it is. I am ready to throw out the cheapies or give them away and get a few more other "real LED's" to replace the MAG lights all over my house. I am a happy camper today. Who wold have thought LED lights would have come this far. Thanks everyone for all your inputs as I have been reading a lot. Does any one have any ideas for my next light?

Last edited:

Jasmes

Enlightened
bullpup said:
Does any one have any ideas for my next light?

An X5 is always good to have in case your house is fire-bombed, flooded, and then swept away in a hurricane. The X5 will be fine.

I would wait for the Cree LEDs to filter into more of the big-dog manufacturers (ie: Surefire) before buying other lights though, don't waste money on current gen stuff, at least IMO.

Spordin

Enlightened
I would wait for the Cree LEDs to filter into more of the big-dog manufacturers (ie: Surefire) before buying other lights though, don't waste money on current gen stuff, at least IMO.

Aside from maybe the Fenix LOD CE, I would agree with waiting a few months until the new technology trickles down. An exception is if you're looking for a few long runtime lights where output is less important. In that case, I'd get the Gerber Infinity Ultra (72+hrs on 1AA), Fenix EO (about ~9hrs on 1AAA), and maybe the Arc-P (~7hrs on 1AAA), to stash away as emergency lights. That's where these lights really "shine."

mnj

Newly Enlightened
Upgrade your Mags with led drop-in's!! I am sure if you search around here you will find what you are looking for! I have a Terra-Lux 1 watt drop in for my old AA mag...anyway there are many different companies making dropins for all styles of mags, it is a great way to make use of those still usefull (but dim as hell) lights. Not to mention that you could probably upgrade all your mags for about the price 1 Fenix:grin2:, and save your money for sweet new lights that will be rolling out soon:lolsign:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light that I think is worth buying now to compliment what you already have is a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. It is a great light for outdoor work. Very bright, very good throw [for distance] and great runtime from 4 AA batteries. Also, it is virtually indestructable - and that is backed by a replacement warranty. It is a great value at ~$25 from BrightGuy.com or FoxIntl.

A great example of the lights mentioned above - long runtime LED lights - is on sale at BrightGuy now. It is the UK [Underwater Kinetics] eLED Zoom. It is $31 and has very good brightness considering its long runtime on 4 AAs. Check out the reviews at FlashlightReviews.com

coppertrail

Enlightened
Congrats on your first Fenix light, I hope you get many years of use out of it.

I purchased my first Fenix light after purchasing a Surefire L4. The L2D CE has become my EDC more often than not. I don't think I'll be purchasing more SF lights after using Fenix, Huntlight and Jetbeam lights. The L4 is a great light, but there are too many alternatives out there for half the price or less. I"m looking forward to the Jetbeam MKIIx and the Lumapower M3.

I too have a couple MagLED AAs which are nice lights, especially with the Borofloat lenses from flashlightlens.com.

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
Well Bullpup, I'm completely in agreement with you on the L2D ce I've had one for a while now and even my wife said 'holy crap" THATS AMAZING. I'm eagerly awaiting the spare L1D ce spare bodies to be available from fenix store(4x777)this will give you a edc pocket rocket ,like having another light for peanuts(under $20. estimated)Welcome to the wonderfull world of c.p.f. and high performance flashlights.

paulr

Flashaholic
Hate to tell you but you have now been bitten by the bug. Soon you will realize that while it's a stupendous value and an extremely popular light around here, the Fenix is also a "cheap chineese" as you put it. Before you know it you will be buying McLuxes and Spy's, at 5x the Fenix's price and then some. Hold on to your wallet, it's going to be a wild ride ;).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
seriously watch yourself :) for some reason it doesnt make sense when im looking at where my money went :thinking: how can these few lights cost me so much

(1) no frills 3d light
(3) minimags
(2) 3Dmags
(2) 2Dmags
and a "stunner" on the way

9 measley flashlights compared to dozens others have here ...i started out with 2, the no frills 3d and a 3dmag yet when i broke it down between all the lights & parts bought i spent around $800 in a little over a month:ohgeez:

add $200 to that 600 in my thread a month ago as i added more mags + seoul emitters for the upgrades a few more drop in modules for other newly aquired mags + everled
this was only a month ago http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1800585#post1800585

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the drop in modules that would fit directly into your M@GLights.
Another light to look at is the Fenic LOD CE, small but full of grunt