What is the point for incandescent???!?!?!?!111

Dustin Liu

Banned
If we have Cree L.E.D. what is the point for incandescent? Incandescents do not last long when compared to cree. Cree also has substantial lumen output when compared to incandescents.

So are incandescents obsolete? If not, does anyone know the pros/cons?

:huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color and output.

My incans kill my Cree/Seoul LED's and on top of that have a much better color rendition, especially outdoors.

This question has been done to death, have you done a search on LED vs. Incan?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Incandescents can be driven at much higher voltages then LEDs. Look at ROP and other similar mag mods. No single LED can match the throw and brightness of those mods. some people like the warmer color of Incans and don't mind the less efficient bulb. And besides, it is hard to set paper on fire using just the light from a LED source.

Edit: looks like bwaites beat me to the answer.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The longevity of a Cree hasn't been proven yet since it is so new. Regardless of estimated hours of usage, we've seen other LEDs that have indeed failed prematurely.

I would not write off incandescents yet. It is still the route to go for a good throwing light. When the technology progresses to a point where a LED can out throw a comparable size incandescent (e.g. Stinger) then the LED may have come of age to replace incandescents in some applications and certainly in general overall usage.

Dustin Liu said:
If we have Cree L.E.D. what is the point for incandescent? Incandescents do not last long when compared to cree. Cree also has substantial lumen output when compared to incandescents.

So are incandescents obsolete? If not, does anyone know the pros/cons?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I was in a room that had some "smoke" for entertainment value in the air. My P1D CE threw a tiny bit better with that in the air than a Surefire E1e. My E2e or A2 would have smoked the Cree under those conditions.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your lamp dies out in the bush, you change the lamp. If your LED dies out in the bush, you lug around dead weight...

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Incandescents have much better color rendition. We're given lumen and color temperature raitings for LEDs but I've never seen CRI given for an LED before. I'd love to know how they compare to fluorescent and incandescent light sources.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Sort of a silly question. I've got a 2x18650 300 lumen incan that will run in near regulation for an hour. Not bad, eh? Not what I'd consider "obsolete."

Though I've been using a lot of LED lights during night hikes, I am now running incans more and more due to color rendition (agree w/ bwaites).

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
incans in small formfactors, especially w/o specialized humongo rechargeable batteries, are obsolete already, basically. Check out the L2D CE review by Quickbeam (flashlightreviews.com) to see that a 2xAA formfactor with a CREE LED can now produce more overall output than a big nxD Maglite incan.

color rendition - favorite point to make for incan-holics but holds no water. The pure white you can get with the LEDs is fine or even preferable in my opinion. that yellowish tint of the incans is only psychologically a "warmer" color, because we grew up with it.

It's a bit like those people who still like vacuum tube amps for their music, or perhaps LPs - they think the sound is "warmer" than the CD's. But it's all psychological and once you've used LED's for a while you'll get over it.
if you like science, go look at spectra of LEDs over at the LED museum website, at most they lack a bit of energy at around 500 nm wavelength (light blue-green), and so what.

again, scientifically speaking, if you look at lumen output and runtimes for small formfactors (say 2xCR123A) the LED's rule. One poster mentioned a powerful incan with 2xbig formfactor rechargeables: that is equivalent to 4xCR123A formfactor, which is what I have been saying.

by the way, if you want big lumen output, and I mean REALLY big, and you are willing to go to big rechargeable batteries to get it, you can get it also for LEDs, not only incans (check out WISE LED flashlights - and there are other specialized mods with multiple CREE LEDs). So if you compare apples to apples, LEDs are still fine.

basically the lights that cannot be touched are the HIDs, which become industrial-sized formfactors with specialized power supplies - OK, if you have a need for that, then the HID is what you need!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy,

Yes, in small form factors, the LED's have an advantage in runtime, and maybe even output.

However, they cannot touch an incan when it comes to color differentiation and rendition.

You are right, it does have something to do with what we grew up with, but it has more to do with how our eyes are made!

We see yellows, reds, and greens for a reason. The blue, high temp light emitted by even the warmest LED's screws with that vision. One of the famous CPF'ers calls it the "walking on the moon effect."

Essentially, our atmosphere attenuates some of the blue light produced by the Sun, and our eyes have developed to see those colors under Sunlight as it arrives through that atmosphere. When you take away the yellows and reds, like an LED does, we lose the ability to have accurate depth perception.

Have you ever been in a gymnasium lit by HID lights? If so, and if you are a basketball player, you will immediately notice that your depth perception of where the basket is has changed, and that your shots must be adjusted. Most gyms have adjusted for this by using lamps that have a yellowish cast, but there are a few with blue vapor lights or blue fluorescents still out there.

Ever wonder why people haven't replaced all their home incandescents with those cool new compact fluorescents that use less energy but create as much light? Same reason. People like that warmer incan glow. It's not all learned, it's also genetic.

PURE white is a misnomer, because PURE white results when ALL the wavelengths are available. LED's don't provide PURE white, they don't have the and greens and reds necessary to create PURE white.

I can come closer to PURE white using 3 different LED's, one red, one green, one blue, than any single LED can. Unfortunately, a light blending the three correctly isn't available yet.

My wife is a professional photographer. She gives talks to amateur groups. Before she starts though, I start by turning off all the lights, and then I uncover a bunch of familiar items I had previously placed in the front of the room. I turn on different LED's and and ask the people in the audience to write down the color of the objects.

They always get the Blue ones right with an LED, but the answers for yellows, and reds, and greens are all over the scale.

Without the clues that we pick up from tint, depth perception and many other valuable day to day visual activities are impaired.

Are incans dead? Not until we have full spectrum LED's and that day isn't in the very near future.

Bill

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like incan lights--they seem to provide more light "saturation" than the LEDs I've seen. However, I prefer LED or fluorescent over incan for color rendition. Maybe my definition of "rendition" is wrong, but I can distinguish colors better with "white" light. Sorting dark navy blue and black socks comes to mind.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashfan,

You may have hit on the one area where an LED might have an advantage, distinguishing blues from blacks, I hadn't tried that, but it makes some sense.

Bill

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Another regulated light is the Princeton Tec Yukon Extreme.

Both the high and low incandescent modes are regulated, as is the high LED mode.

I find myself using the incandescent modes far more often than the LED modes because of, what appears to me, the better color rendition it offers.

Tom

molite

Newly Enlightened
For a bright dependable EDC, LED wins hands down.
When you want power, Ican is the only way to go.
Dollar for Dollar incan wins too.
A 100.00 Incan mod will blow away a 100.00 led.
However it seems every six months the LED's double in power, so what the future holds who knows?
But batteries are improving too, so thats a boost to Incan.
I too was dazeled by the bright white LED's and own many.
But, if I'm doing anything other than hunting walls the Ican is the only way to go.