New here and wondering about modding Nuwai TM-301X-3

JTI

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new here - came across this forum a while back and found myself sucked in (against my will, I'll admit!)

I was wondering if anyone has modded a Nuwai TM-301X-3 (2-cell version of QIII) with one of the new generation LEDs? I have a Ledwave (Ombu) X-33, which I bought about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it's the same light rebranded (although there are differences - on mine the first click is high, the second low). I'm very happy with the torch as it is, but who can resist more light and greater runtime? Anyway, I digress. Here are my questions, for those in the know. (Be patient with me.)
- I like the beam with the present LED. It has a tight spot with decent surround beam (corona?), and I can see no imperfections. How will the beam compare if a Cree or Seoul is installed, using the same reflector?
- I also like the fact that the low mode is pretty dim - I find it perfect for most indoor/close-up uses, and it will run for days. Great for reading too. Am I right in thinking that the modded version will pump out about twice the light on low? (not that great)
- On the other hand, twice the light on high *would* be great. Any idea how the throw would compare with the original Luxeon torch?
- Lastly, are there members on this forum who do these sort of mods (for a fee obviously)? I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself.

Thanks!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Nuwai 301X3 modded by Scott aka milkyspit with a Cree XRE it's great lots of light and love the 2 stages. Scott does fantastic work. Send him a pm if your interested in having him mod your light.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to take work from milkyspit, but a seoul star swap is very easy. did this one myself. hardest part of the mod is getting the head open without damaging it. very nice beam, low is still low, and high is very bright. PM me for an inexpensive and quick mod, but by a less known, knowledgeable, or experienced modder. pm milky if you want to go with one of the best. I had him do my HDS mod and it turned out terrific!

JTI

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input James and Pumaman. I'm off to bed now (it's late here in the UK), but I'll send you a PM when I get a moment, Pumaman.
Cheers