SF E1e with Seoul P4 & McR20

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
Although at least two very similar mods have been done before by McGizmo and Katokichi, I'd like to show you my modded Surfire E1e - more precisely an E1e head with E1L body and Z57.

As already said in the title, I used a Seoul P4 U-Bin LED together with a modified McR20 and NexGen 400 step-up-converter. Electrical isolation is provided by the anodised surface of the 1,5 mm thin heatsink that is bonded to the brass fitting which in turn provides space for the converter, and establishes contact with the body of the flashlight. The spacer made of aluminium ensures heat dissipation by connecting the led heatsink with he head and reflector. The latter needed to be shortened from the back for proper focus, and also from the front because of the very limited amount of space available.
Overall, I am very pleased with how this mod worked out. Of course there are other, more elegant ways in which this can be done, but I had to work whith the few tools available.

At 400 mA this thing throws out quite a bit of photons whith a nice hotspot and useable sidespill. Maybe I'll add a two stage switch in the future because in some situations a little less light might be of advantage.

Timo

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice work Mister T:goodjob:

I plan a likewise mod with my E1e (on the way to me:)). How do you remove the stock reflector? Boring holes side by side?

Beamshots would be nice:)

Thanks and very best regards

_____
Tom

jwyhd

Newly Enlightened
nice mod!

Do you have some pics of beamshot?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! :goodjob:

How do you keep everything together? Are the converter module and spacer epoxied into the head? :thinking:

Last edited:

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for your comments, I'll try to snap some beamshots on the weekend.

The stock reflector was removed by boring the head in a lathe. Everything is kept together by Arctic Alumina Epoxy, which means that this mod is unmoddable, so to speak :D