when was the first time ya used the internet?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just wondering id guess for me it was like 2001 or so.but i am not sure

Norm

Retired Administrator
I remember pre Internet when we had a system started in Australia in 1985 called Viatel it was a videotex service from Telecom based on Britain's Prestel service. You accessed it with a 1200/75 baud modem, that is about 120 characters per second download and 8 characters per second upload. It had primitive graphics and 8 (16?) colours.
Norm

Enlightened
I remember the BBS days. Good times. I think my first real crack at the internet was in the late 1990's when dial-up was the big thing. Downloading songs would take at least one hour. lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but bbs isnt the interent or is it?if it aint the interent i wanna chage question to first time ya used a bbs

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say the online library service Melvyl at UCBerkeley. I didn't actually browse the internet on a computer until 1996.

Enlightened
raggie33 said:
but bbs isnt the interent or is it?if it aint the interent i wanna chage question to first time ya used a bbs

I'm talking old school BBS type stuff before there was a true user interface. Everything was almost prompt format.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It was around 1991 or 1992 for me. I had access to the 'net via a campus connection and I used the Gopher protocol to manuever around. This was just before the Mosaic web browser came out and changed everything!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
1991 I was a delphi subscriber. Pure text BBS. Then I got a floppy disk for AOL. It was not even a windows app. It was dos screens. Then they had a link to go to to get the new 2.5 version that ran in windows.

cerbie

Enlightened
Compuserve, on a 286--not much "real" internet access.
Then a 386, and eventually AOL.
Sometime around the upgrade to a Cyrix PR150+, we got unencumbered access.
I have no idea of the actual timeline, except knowing that by '93 or so, it was real 'net access (I was only 10 at that time, so wasn't paying so much attention to that).

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I'll give you some hints :) Here's a 5 Megabyte (yes Megabyte not Gigabyte) hard drive I've still got:

hdisk2alx7.jpg

hdisk3ajz8.jpg

hdisk1ayd5.jpg

That's a 2 Gigabyte USB flash drive in the pic too and I'm sure your recognize the flashlights - there for size comparison - that drive is 8 platters about 14" in diamater and weighs right at 50 pounds. That's without the motor.
I started online in 1979-80 but that was BBS's some of which were linked via Internet but mostly by direct dial up. Since I worked in the computer department of a huge school district they had Internet from very early on and I used Gopher, Telnet, Eudora, FTP and so on to explore around a bit on the Internet before they had web browsers. I can't really say the exact year but I think that was the mid to later 80's. As soon as Mosaic web browser and then Netscape came about I went from BBS'ing straight to the 'Net - this was '92-93 - which is when Mosaic first came out. At this time frame the average person still didn't even know what a modem was. I had become a dealer for U.S. Robotics in the late 80's just so I could get a discount on the new 16.8k/14.4k modem (retail around $1000.00). Started with a 110 and then a 300 baud modem shortly after that - woo hoo - speed ! :crackup: Ah - I could go on but you get the idea - been into it all about as soon as one could. Fascinating to see how fast it has all grown.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
matrixshaman said:
First I'll give you some hints :) Here's a 5 Megabyte (yes Megabyte not Gigabyte) hard drive I've still got:
Wow you were so lucky to have a hard drive all I had were floppys for my C64 :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I began using the Internet in 1985 by reading and posting articles on Usenet and exchanging email.

(Don't confuse the Web with the Internet. The World Wide Web is just one service on top of the Internet. People could exchange email and read Usenet (aka netnews) on the Internet before the advent of the web.)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti1000 - 4k memory - cassette drive. C64 - cassette drive first then the 1541 FD. Been there too. And yes the WWW is not the Internet - just the aspect of it that has become most popular.