Proof of insurance, registration.. & penlight

penlight.jpg

$6 or $7 at Wal-Mart. Still kind of expensive in the eyes of the typical Wal-Mart shopper type.

I bought it a while ago and I never really used it, but I've grown to like it. I'm sure it's not up to flashlight maniacs' standards, but its quite good.

So it is about the length of a pen. The thickness of a Sharpie marker and the weight of a nice solid pen. The light source is a Nichia 5mm LED with the typical purple tinge.

Powered by two inexpensive, high capacity 2AAA batteries (compared to rather common 3 LR44 design) and has a primitive reverse clicky. Bundled with a pair of batteries of its own brand.

Not everyone has a huge storage space in their car and leaving regular flashlights in the car would often lead to annoying bouncing around within the storage area.

This thing is far brighter than a typical penlight and produces a pleasant, smooth semi-flood light that's bright enough for road side tire change. It's small enough to be stored together with the insurance and registration paperwork in a pouch.

It's nice to have access to flashlight right there. This thing is also pretty good for working on computers, assistant lighting with macro photography and anywhere you don't want blindingly bright light.

I guess the output is similar to an ArcAAA. You could probably do the samething with something like a Fenix multi-level thing, but not for anything near $6...

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another one of those simple and cheap lights that Energizer seems to be good at coming up with, like the 4AA Folding Lantern and the Accent Lights. I kind of like my penlight, too, even though it won't take much abuse.

Geoff

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO penlights are underrated as EDC, or rather EDU(Every Day Usage). They are small and light and easy to carry unnoticable in a shirtpocket, still not small enough to be uncomfortable to reach with ease or handle. And they are bright enough for most indoor tasks, and more importantly, not TOO bright.
Have to get me one of these. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I seem to recall the packaging for the Energizer stating something like an 18 hour runtime. My very unscientific experience says it starts almost as bright as an Inova X1, but drops quickly, then drones on at a usable, fairly constant level for many hours.

Geoff

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Yep, exact same light I bought on a whim a couple of months ago. It's been sitting here on my computer desk since. Not really all that impressive. Has a cheap quality feel to it and very purplish beam. The tail switch feels especially flimsy.

For the same price, I prefer the Dorcy 1AAA

Bozzlite said:
Yep, exact same light I bought on a whim a couple of months ago. It's been sitting here on my computer desk since. Not really all that impressive. Has a cheap quality feel to it and very purplish beam. The tail switch feels especially flimsy.

For the same price, I prefer the Dorcy 1AAA

I haven't tried the 1AAA, but I like the pen like form factor. You can stick it into a vent hole quite deep, then have a peek what it's like inside from a different hole. hard to do with a short light. This light can also drain each battery to the ground. Not sure about 1AAA.

Flying Turtle said:
I seem to recall the packaging for the Energizer stating something like an 18 hour runtime. My very unscientific experience says it starts almost as bright as an Inova X1, but drops quickly, then drones on at a usable, fairly constant level for many hours.

Geoff

Package claims "over 100 hours". I haven't tested this, but like most LED lights, it dims with battery depletion. On 800mAh NiMH, I got around seven hours of near max output. With alkaline, you'd probably get a few dozen hours of usable output.

Here's the inner workings:

inside.jpg

one each of:
LED, choke coil, resistor and a transistor.

Last edited: